May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks Myles,

BTW, how can they have missed the Aida's ? :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Myles,

BTW, how can they have missed the Aida's ? :(

i thougth that was the first set of speakers in the article...they noted a touch of leanness in the commentary...no?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I see now my post is outdated - I have been looking at this issue of PF a few days ago , and the version I had in cache in my browser did not include Myles new report ...
Just refreshed the page and I am going to jump in the article.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow. That was a lot to read. I got tired just posting our pictures here and you had to write all that relevant text :).

BTW, I don't think the issue of hotel power is solvable. There is no way they have enough juice to power all those monoblocks in so many rooms.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think Amir is right. Those are 15 amp circuits at best, and probably no more than two circuits per room.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think Amir is right. Those are 15 amp circuits at best, and probably no more than two circuits per room.

Well they obviously don't because they made exhibitors use these limiters :( Otherwise, they supposedly had circuits blowing left and right.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I don't understand your post. My guess is there is one circuit feeding the bathroom and the rest of the hotel room is on a single 15 amp circuit which is why they require the use of current limiters.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Well they obviously don't because they made exhibitors use these limiters :( Otherwise, they supposedly had circuits blowing left and right.

TH is to me a serious problem .. Do they encounter the same problem at the RMAF?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Now that I think about it, there may be 3 circuits. The heating/air conditioner might be 220v and would be on a separate circuit.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-I don't understand your post. My guess is there is one circuit feeding the bathroom and the rest of the hotel room is on a single 15 amp circuit which is why they require the use of current limiters.

I meant they don't have another juice to drive those gas hogs. Ergo, the circuits blowing.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
TH is to me a serious problem .. Do they encounter the same problem at the RMAF?

Well I think it would be an issue with any hotel environment. There's no limiters in Denver, but that doesn't mean the line isn't being loaded down. There were some shows, and I don't remember which ones, that had real problem with the electricity. Perhaps Gary can comment more since he's far more experienced having done RMAF, CES and a few other shows.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Wow. That was a lot to read. I got tired just posting our pictures here and you had to write all that relevant text :).

BTW, I don't think the issue of hotel power is solvable. There is no way they have enough juice to power all those monoblocks in so many rooms.

Thanks Amir and thanks to the iPad :) Wouldn't be caught dead without it at a show from now on. Best thing since sliced bread!

You're also right on the amplifiers. Can you imagine running ARC 610Ts, Krell, Viola, Tidal, Levinson or any other Class A, mega-behemoth amplifier on these circuits? Reminds me of a story an unnamed equipment importer once related to me. He had gone to a reviewers home and found that the reviewer had both the plugged the distributor's amplifier [being reviewed] and his own reference amplifier into the same circuit. And Bill said, the reviewer nailed the sound--only that the person was hearing the effects of the two amplifiers on the same circuit :(

Soon to follow: Magico, MBL, Vivid, Scaena, YG Acoustics, and a few sleepers.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wouldn't be caught dead without it at a show from now on. Best thing since sliced bread!

I agree Myles. I was beside you. Only thing better is an iPad with voice recognition for transcription such as Siri.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's a great idea!

I love the ipad and when I got my first one I said wow a normal size keyboard for my fat fingers BUT I found it so touch sensitive I was making mistakes.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well I think it would be an issue with any hotel environment. There's no limiters in Denver, but that doesn't mean the line isn't being loaded down. There were some shows, and I don't remember which ones, that had real problem with the electricity. Perhaps Gary can comment more since he's far more experienced having done RMAF, CES and a few other shows.

Last year's show at RMAF was fine, but in '08 and '09 the whole hotel lost power a few times!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Last year's show at RMAF was fine, but in '08 and '09 the whole hotel lost power a few times!

Yes, seem to remember '09 though was a hotel wide problem :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing