DartZeel NHB-108 .....

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Joe,

I think Microstrip has a very good point here. From what i recall from my reading on the nhb and from dealers i have spoken to...the NHB does not take to lower impedance, low sensitivity speakers as well as some other amps. and, yes, as you already have noted elsewhere, it seems many owners of one unit, end up pairing it with the counterpart of DTZL...much more so than other manufacturers, and i think that is likely for a reason.

in any event, good luck, and look forward to hearing about this more when they arrive! And enjoy...its great to be considering such amazing equipment!

Lloyd, have you ever spent any real time with darTZeel products? I really think you make this stuff up as you go. I am very familiar with the Burmester gear and your comparative description is totally off.

I love how some idiot on Audiogon with no experience with the amp posts about impedence and darTZeel years ago and it gets repeated. It cracks me up every time I hear that. The darTZeel handles low impedence as well as most amps. If your speakers hover down around 1 ohm, I guess most amps would have a problem with that.

Low sensitivity? C'mon Lloyd are you hearing this from darTZeel dealers or those who do not sell darTZeel? Look, speaker sensitivity and amplifier power requirements are more dependent on room size and other things. If you want to put an 82db speaker on a 160 wpc amplifier in a room 30 x 50, I guess that would be a problem, but you are way off base making blanket statements like this. Its ridiculous.

Also, the reason most darTZeel owners end up with the preamp is because once they own the amp and fall in love with it, the curiousity is peaked on the preamp. To my ears, there aren't too many products out there nearly as good. I proudly import the product into North America and listen to more equipment by other manufacturers than you could imagine. If there is something better, I have not heard it yet. It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I find it hard to believe that anyone who listens to live music would not appreciate the darTZeel products.

Reactions: Zeotrope

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, have you ever spent any real time with darTZeel products? I really think you make this stuff up as you go. I am very familiar with the Burmester gear and your comparative description is totally off.

I love how some idiot on Audiogon with no experience with the amp posts about impedence and darTZeel years ago and it gets repeated. It cracks me up every time I hear that. The darTZeel handles low impedence as well as most amps. If your speakers hover down around 1 ohm, I guess most amps would have a problem with that.

Low sensitivity? C'mon Lloyd are you hearing this from darTZeel dealers or those who do not sell darTZeel? Look, speaker sensitivity and amplifier power requirements are more dependent on room size and other things. If you want to put an 82db speaker on a 160 wpc amplifier in a room 30 x 50, I guess that would be a problem, but you are way off base making blanket statements like this. Its ridiculous.

Also, the reason most darTZeel owners end up with the preamp is because once they own the amp and fall in love with it, the curiousity is peaked on the preamp. To my ears, there aren't too many products out there nearly as good. I proudly import the product into North America and listen to more equipment by other manufacturers than you could imagine. If there is something better, I have not heard it yet. It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I find it hard to believe that anyone who listens to live music would not appreciate the darTZeel products.

Hi Jonathan,

I respect your convictions and your experience with the products you distribute and sell. I have auditioned the DTZL at a local dealers, and the comments made are passing along the advice i was given from the dealer. Additionally, these comments were caveated respectfully. I do respect the DTZL tremendously. It was not for me, though that is a personal preference.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for posting. I hope to be enjoying my new to me DartZeel 108 next week.

Joe

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your understanding my slightly rude post. I know I could have tempered it a bit more.

I respect your convictions and your experience with the products you distribute and sell. I have auditioned the DTZL at a local dealers, and the comments made are passing along the advice i was given from the dealer. Additionally, these comments were caveated respectfully. I do respect the DTZL tremendously. It was not for me, though that is a personal preference.

I am quite surprised that a dealer would say that. I personally have not experienced any such thing. I would love for you to hear darTZeel the way I hear it. I have no idea how well your dealer had everything setup and what the equipment was paired with, but I am amazed that someone wouldn't be crazy about the darTZeel gear!

Do you remember the setup and the associated equipment?

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for posting. I hope to be enjoying my new to me DartZeel 108 next week.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I am very excited for you. Please call me if you have any questions at all and be prepared for a fairly long break-in period. YOu should get the clarity right from the beginning, but the bass and body does not show until 500 hours. It is like a light switch goes off and everything changes.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe,

I am very excited for you. Please call me if you have any questions at all and be prepared for a fairly long break-in period. YOu should get the clarity right from the beginning, but the bass and body does not show until 500 hours. It is like a light switch goes off and everything changes.

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much. I bought a very nice used unit with all the updates and it should already be broken in. I am VERY excited and hopefully will see it Mon or Tue if FedEx cooperates. I found a great dealer and will be making a trip out to see him. If this goes well, as I expect it should, I'd like to order a new preamp and amp. I already have a friend who wants this amp and I have not even received it yet. When the excitement of the inbound NHB-108 calms down and I get a good handle on what I am hearing, I will be in touch. Thank you for monitoring the forum. I may have a few questions. My new speakers will not arrive for at least another month, hopefully less, so I will not get the true feeling for the amp until I have them set up and playing. Thanks again. :)

Joe

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your understanding my slightly rude post. I know I could have tempered it a bit more.

I am quite surprised that a dealer would say that. I personally have not experienced any such thing. I would love for you to hear darTZeel the way I hear it. I have no idea how well your dealer had everything setup and what the equipment was paired with, but I am amazed that someone wouldn't be crazy about the darTZeel gear!

Do you remember the setup and the associated equipment?

Hi Jonathan,

To be fair and clear, i am impressed by Dartzeel equipment...it is excellent. Period. Paired with Wilson speakers as i recall, it was truly very good. Did I prefer my electronics? Yes...but that is a personal preference. And i actually elected to upgrade both sets of electronics to their newer respective models. I went from an older CJ/Antileon amp to the latest CJ/Gryphon gear which i was fortunate to find second-hand.

As far as the system at the time, it was dartzeel with ARC CD7 player (i think...its been a while). Sonus Faber Strads which were the speakers i was using at the time.

monya

Jul 22, 2011
I've had a 108 for 5 years now during which time the price has doubled here in the UK. It's a cracking amp and has a 1 ohm setting if needed. However, it's not a powerhouse which should be considered when speaker pairing and room matching. I use it with ARC Ref 5 pre to good effect. However, there are some monoblocks which have more grunt if your pocket is deep enough!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Monya,

What other amps/monoblocks do you fancy?

Joe

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi,

Just a quick update. The darTZeel NHB-108 is an AMAZING amp. I've never heard my Cornwall III's sound so good. It's like a veil has been lifted and the music sounds so natural yet precise. The closest thing to goosebumps from solid state so far. I can't wait until it warms up a little. I have no idea how it will do on TAD CR-1's, but I can't wait to find out.

Joe

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congrats, joe. The darTZeel sound is intoxicating, and I wasn't able to find anything remotely like it with other brands!

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congrats, joe. The darTZeel sound is intoxicating, and I wasn't able to find anything remotely like it with other brands!

alexandre

Thanks Alexandre,

It really is incredible. Too bad I can's swing the preamp right now. That must be an awesome combo. It's been playing all evening waiting for me to come home. I can't wait.

Joe

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Alexandre,

It really is incredible. Too bad I can's swing the preamp right now. That must be an awesome combo. It's been playing all evening waiting for me to come home. I can't wait.

Joe

I am very excited for you Joe. Congratulations!!!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am very excited for you Joe. Congratulations!!!

Jonathan,

I am blown away how good this Dartzeel NHB-108 sounds. I really like it. Thank you very much. I'll have to talk to you at some point to discuss some options. I love this thing. :)

Joe

monya

Jul 22, 2011
Pleased you like it - I haven't heard better. I was thinking of the darTZeel monoblocks if you need more power. However they come with a massive price tag. You are not short of alternatives over there - ARC, Krell etc

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Pleased you like it - I haven't heard better. I was thinking of the darTZeel monoblocks if you need more power. However they come with a massive price tag. You are not short of alternatives over there - ARC, Krell etc

Thanks Monya,

The big mono blocks are out of my price range. I'll have to see how this does on my new speakers next month.

Joe

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! If you can a more detailed comparison would be great when the system has settled in, and you've got the TAD's back. Enjoy!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congrats! If you can a more detailed comparison would be great when the system has settled in, and you've got the TAD's back. Enjoy!

Thanks LLoyd ;) I will. This is quite an amp. I'm happy.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am so impressed with my darTZeel NHB-108. This is one amazing amp and I wish I had tried one a long time ago. More to come .....

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Congrats on the addition of the darTZeel NHB-108 amp. I feel your impressions of the amp will only heighten as the amp does it's burn-in. Of course I'm biased as I own it as well. In combination with the darTZeel NHB-18NS Pre amp the combo is as special a combo as I've heard... tubes or ss. As I've owned many of them both.

I certainly won't disrespect any of other equipment out there as there are lots of great amps & pre's on the market & it always comes down to personal preference & needs. I searched / listened to a lot of equipment ( & I specify A LOT ) for a couple of years before I heard the darTZeel equipment. I also feel in love with the intoxicating sound.
The over all aspect of the naturalness of the presentation, lack of distortion, exceptional tonal balance, resolution, & dynamics.. it's all there.
The musicality of the system is what grabs you & sucks you into the music. People love to form their own opinions with out ever living with the equipment, live with them & form your own assessment.
In my dedicated room the darTZeel has been magic for me.

When I started building my dedicated ( 22 x 33.5 x 8.5 ) room I looked for a speaker ( Evolution Acoustics MM3's ) I could build the room around. Of course I found the speakers but I also found the darTZeel products. A musical pleasure for me.

Good luck on your journey & keep us informed.

BTW, the customer service from the distributor to the owner / manufacturer has been nothing short of excellent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing