DartZeel NHB-108 .....

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I new to me Dart 108 should be here Monday night. I can't wait to compare it to a Burmester 911mk3 and see/hear the outcome. Thoughts?

Joe

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Joe,

as you know, i am going to bet on 911m3...deeper more powerful sound, possibly superior tonality in lower mids, superior bass. But perhaps you might find NHB treble more refined than older Burmester? Pure speculation.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Joe,

as you know, i am going to bet on 911m3...deeper more powerful sound, possibly superior tonality in lower mids, superior bass. But perhaps you might find NHT treble more refined than older Burmester? Pure speculation.

Joe
Would be interesting to read your thoughts.. I am with lloydelee though .. Although I didn't find much fault with the Burmester 911 Treble, especially the MKIII which works more longer in Class A than the original 911

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Certainly will be interesting. I don't have the CR-1's yet so I will have to experiment with the Cornwall III's and JBL's. Not ideal but am very familiar with the Cornwalls. If the 911 wins, I am going to trade it in on 2 new monos. :) I wish it was a fair fight, meaning Dart pre+amp, vs Burmester pre+amp. I'll be using a Burmester pre on the Dart amp. I keep checking FedEx but no movement yet. Darn :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Joe
Would be interesting to read your thoughts.. I am with lloydelee though .. Although I didn't find much fault with the Burmester 911 Treble, especially the MKIII which works more longer in Class A than the original 911

Hi Frantz...perhaps i should add more detail about my point about treble. I still own a Gryphon Antileon (also Class A)...which is about 10 years old...similar vintage i think to the 911mk3. I now own the new reference, the Colosseum...and the main areas of true, significant improvement were the treble. In fact, having heard the ML 33, Gryphon Antileon and older Krell Class A amps...i feel like it is the treble where i (personally) have felt the newest generation of amps particularly Class A amps have really improved. Class A treble in the above amps is very pure, but perhaps not quite as refined in detail as the latest stuff.

I cannot say how the NHB will stack up in this area...but i thought perhaps it might have that extra bit of detail, refinement...pure guesswork to be honest, based on my observations of other similar vintage gear. and have not heard NHB in a while.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Joe,
What is the preamplifier and which speakers are you going to use in the comparison? This can make the difference ...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe,
What is the preamplifier and which speakers are you going to use in the comparison? This can make the difference ...

Burmester 077 with Ext. PS and Klipsch Cornwall III's. I will not see the CR-1's for at least a month.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You are addressing two completely different speakers - the 4 ohm 86 dB TAD and the 101db/W Cornwall . I had some experience with the Dartzeel NHB108 and NH18 and felt that in order to get the best of it I had to use the matching preamplifier (this does not mean it did not sound great with the ARC preamplfier... ) But I feel that it will sound underpowered with the TADs. They are both very clean, and this encourages loud listening with friends.
The Cornwall can be a great match - the DartZeel designer uses Rehdeko RK175''s that are 105 dB/W in his own system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Joe,

I think Microstrip has a very good point here. From what i recall from my reading on the nhb and from dealers i have spoken to...the NHB does not take to lower impedance, low sensitivity speakers as well as some other amps. and, yes, as you already have noted elsewhere, it seems many owners of one unit, end up pairing it with the counterpart of DTZL...much more so than other manufacturers, and i think that is likely for a reason.

in any event, good luck, and look forward to hearing about this more when they arrive! And enjoy...its great to be considering such amazing equipment!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks guys. I know these are way different speakers. I do not play loud anyway. From what I understand, the CR-1's are 4 ohms but not too crazy on the impedance swing so I was advised as long as I don't go crazy on volume, I should be fine. I like to play around and if the Dart does not do what I want/need, I am sure I could flip it with out too much trouble.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds sensible...look forward to reading your comments when you have heard it!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
In the context of the OP's system, somehow a pair of Cornwalls seems odd to me.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
In the context of the OP's system, somehow a pair of Cornwalls seems odd to me.

Yes, on the face of it, Cornwalls seem odd. But I have to say for what I spent on these speakers and the enjoyment I've received, they are off the charts. Driven by my 911mk3 or MV-60 or anything else I've tried, I enjoy the heck out of these. These are very under-rated IMO. I don't critically listen most of the time. I just try and enjoy what I am listening to and get into the music. I admit I am not the typical audiophile and do not claim to be able to hear what others can when they listen to their systems. I enjoy playing with the hardware and having the music move me. Isn't that what it's all about?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It’s all about whatever you want it to be all about. What don’t you hear that others claim to hear?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
It’s all about whatever you want it to be all about. What don’t you hear that others claim to hear?

I don't know, maybe some of the finer nuances that people pick out. Reading professional reviews makes me wonder how these guys sometimes hear what they hear and are able to explain the differences. I just know what I like but find it difficult to put into words what I hear technically. Within the first few minutes of hearing the 911mk3, I knew it was special. After about 30-40 minutes, it just blooms and becomes awesome. I want to see if I get the same reaction with the Dartzeel.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
And the level of your electronics is what made me ask the question in the first place. You have and are getting some top notch gear and if you don’t think you hear the finer things that the ‘golden ears’ hear, I just wonder how you are going to hear the difference between the Burmester and the Dart, specially over a pair of Cornwalls.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I happen to think the Cornwalls can be very revealing. True, they may not be considered audiophile, but every amp I've played through them has had very obvious differences. Once I hooked up the 911 to them, I was quite pleased. I just sold a pair of Nola Micro Grand Refs. (awesome speaker BTW) to get the TAD CR-1's. I'll have to wait a bit to get the TADs but I am sure I'll hear a difference on the Cornwalls and can't wait to get the TADs setup. Maybe I just have trouble expressing what I hear. I know right away if I like the sound of a system and if I do, I listen more. Hearing Wilson Sashas with an all Ayre system, impressive during the first few songs, but fatiguing to me in the long run. I know people who heard the same system and fell head over heels and loved it. Not me. I could not wait to get back to my Nola Micros which I felt were maybe a little less revealing but way more musical.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Joel

I hope you will not take the following in any bad way. The goal is to understand and share our thoughts. THe level of Electronics you have is extremely high. I have a great expereince with Burmester. I had at one point an entirely burmester system except for speakers. I have heard great systems throughout the years and the Burmester system outshone them all the time ... I am also a Conrad Johnson fan and can understand your penchant for great gear...
However the speakers / room contribute to more of what you hear than anything IMHO and there you will hit a great stride with the TAD CR-1 the present speakers aside from the JBL which I don't know do not seem to be at the same level as your superlative electronics.. Fine nuances and subtlety are not their specialty to put it nicely... The TAD CR-1 on the other hand are superior transducers, competitive with the best out there whatever brand you would like to pit them against.. Thes are the real, superior deal. I am not sure the Cornwall are ...All that IMHO. I could be wrong.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Franz,

No offense taken. I am not trying to say the Cornwalls beat everything, but I've had fun with them. I know the TAD CR-1's are special and I can not wait to get them. I know they will be nice with the 911mk3 but will love to hear them with the Dart 108. I guess the moral of the story is http://youtu.be/HH3ruuml-R4 love the one you are with until that special one comes along. I think that will happen next month when the delivery man knocks on my door with my TADs. :)

ps I love Conrad Johnson also.

Last edited:

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
the DartZeel designer uses Rehdeko RK175''s that are 105 dB/W in his own system.

He actually uses the Evolution Acoustics MMThree loudspeakers. He has had them for over two years now. The Rehdko was a great tool for him as with that efficiency, if there was any noise, he would have heard it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing