Which of these two cartridges would you buy?

Which cartridge would you buy?

• Grado Reference Sonata 1

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Ortofon 2M Black

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I asked this question in another thread, but no one supplied any feedback, so I thought I'd pose it in the form of a new thread.

I ask the question for two reasons. One is that I have been a Grado fan for decades and I like how they have sounded on various turntables I've owned. Unlike several, perhaps many, I have never suffered from the infamous "Grado hum" that seems to be quite prevelant of a discussion on many fora. My second reason is I've always read wonderful things about Ortofon, and would like to consider them as my next cartridge, but I'm a bit gun-shy since they are an unkown entity to me.

There are two cartridges I'm considering, and they are:
Grado Reference Sonata ($600)
Ortofon 2M Black ($700)

Out of the two, which would you purchase?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The new line less expensive clearaudio cartridges might also be worth checking out.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I just love it when someone asks "would you buy A or B?" And the answer they get is C.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Once you go black you can't go back :cool:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I just love it when someone asks "would you buy A or B?" And the answer they get is C.

Well I brought the Clearaudio cartridges up because they were shown for the first time at CES and John might not have been aware of them. :) If he's going to plunk down the money, I'd like to see him get the best for the money!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Honestly, I haven't heard either one of the two cartridges that John is asking about which is why I can't recommend either one of them and I'm keeping my yap shut.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll have to have a look at the Clearaudio offerings, so thanks Myles.

To Mark and Frantz.......pretty funny!:):D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I can't comment on the Ortofon as I haven't heard an Ortofon MM in a long time. (Not really relevant: I had an Ortofon VMS20E II many years ago and liked it.) Regarding the Grado: There shouldn't be a mystery. It's somewhat colored, and you need to decide whether you want to continue to live with the Grado sound or move on to something else.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Really? If you are familiar with it, can you give me an opinioon as to its strength?

I don't own one, however a couple of my friends own a black. Clear and musical to my ears. Really depands on what you are looking for your cart to do. If you want to maintain that warmth and tone the Grado would probably be better. If you want a more neutral cartridge with better detail top to bottom, definately the black.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny I know it has been a while since you posted this but if you are still looking for a cartridge I have two that I will likely never use again if you are interested one is K black the other is a Ortfon SPU Royal N the Royal N is the one I like better . If you are at all interested make me a offer as you are only a hour from me if you want to take one home and try it out let me know.

Hello Garth!

I actually ended up buying the Ortofon 2M Black and I'm very happy with it.

Thank you very much for letting me know about the cartridges you have available, but I'm not in a financial position to consider an offer right now. Perhaps at some point down the line, if you haven't sold them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing