USB Dac disappeared when switched into async mode

eduardoo

Feb 9, 2012
I was attempting to set up a foobar based CAS using my Win 7 (64) computer (FYI, a Brazos based MSI Windpad 110W) over USB into my Esoteric K-03 as DAC. I have run Esoteric's firmware on the computer and have also put in the Asio and Wasapi dlls into the components directory

With the Esoteric under normal USB mode ( it is switchable), I can see it under "output" in Foobar and there is sound (despite everything being output as 44.1 only). Switching over to HS1 or HS2 mode (Esoteric's async modes), I first here a "Dung-ding" on the computer (the sound you hear whenever you plug some usb device in) and in a few seconds "Ding-dung" (as if the USB device is unplugged). The Esoteric is no longer seen under the output selection (not even the normal USB).

I have tried various sequence of installation (i.e. software first vs. hardware first) and with and without Wasapi and Asio dlls.

There was once where I plug in the hardware first, let it search and fail to find driver, and installed Esoteric's software. It then showed that it was installed sucessfully. Then, it disappeared from the device manager menu and Foobar output menu.

I have tried a couple of USB cables so it is not a cable issue. I have also set-up with another XP computer before, so it is probably not the Esoteric's hardware issue either.

I tried another admittedly old and under-spec'd (Core Solo U CPU) laptop. That one installed properly, has sound, but itself is too slow to handle the streaming (CPU at 100% at all times and music chokes)

This is maddening.

I would appreciate your help if you can point me to some possible fix.

Thanks a lot.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is a driver required? Often drivers are only needed for > 96 Khz sampling since Windows class driver doesn't support that. If so, it would be good to see if it works with inbox (built-in) windows drivers.

The other thing to try is use a different USB port on your computer.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

I have heard comments that there are differences in performance when using different USB ports on the same computer. I was told that some were capable of higher bandwidth than others, either by design compromises or component variances.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That would no be surprising at all. Different signal paths may exist when the baseline chipset doesn't provide all the ports so some other adapter is added. And at any rate, the PC Board paths may be different.

Similar thing happens in TV HDMI ports. Often people find some ports can't handle 1080p while others can. Sharp bends in the traces and different lengths leading to some connectors can lower its performance leading to failure when the highest resolution/bandwidth is required.

eduardoo

Feb 9, 2012
Is a driver required? Often drivers are only needed for > 96 Khz sampling since Windows class driver doesn't support that. If so, it would be good to see if it works with inbox (built-in) windows drivers.

I have tried installing Esoteric's proprietary driver before and after insertion of the USB device, and there is just one USB port on this little Windows tablet.

Thanks.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have heard comments that there are differences in performance when using different USB ports on the same computer. I was told that some were capable of higher bandwidth than others, either by design compromises or component variances.

Lee

This is the case of the Mach2 (maybe you already know this Lee), they recommend port 2 or 4 depending of the MacMini model to achieve the best possible sound.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
I say get a real laptop either I5 or I7 cpu.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing