loud pop sound when turning off tube amp.

thevoice

Feb 9, 2012
hi, i am new to this forum. hopefully someone can help me with my tube amp.

i am using tube pre and rogue audio stereo 90 power amp. the trouble is turning the power amp off, a loud pop is heard coming from both speakers

is this normal for tube amp and any damage to my speakers?

thanks for all replies.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Depending on the amp, the loud turn-off transient (or pop) can be normal. The amp dumps DC into the speakers as the caps let go. My ARC D70Mk2 does this and is well known for this issue, as were many ARC amps of the same period.
There is no danger to your speakers. As Steve said, if you follow the rule ...Amos ( who the hell is he:p) sorry couldn't resist Steve:cool:-- Amps are last on and first off. The preamp should be on mute while you are doing this.
However,a quick check with your dealer or amp manufacturer would also be appropriate, because with your particular amp, this might not be normal.:)

thevoice

Feb 9, 2012
yes i always turn the volume to zero and wait 5-10 minutes for the caps to discharge then turning off the power amp.

when i say loud, i really mean loud.

thanks.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
yes i always turn the volume to zero and wait 5-10 minutes for the caps to discharge then turning off the power amp.

when i say loud, i really mean loud.

thanks.

Do you mean you turn the preamp volume to zero, turn the preamp off, wait 5-10 minutes, and then turn your amp off and it pops? Has your amp always done this? Have you called Rogue and asked them if this was *normal* for your amp?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
hi, i am new to this forum. hopefully someone can help me with my tube amp.

i am using tube pre and rogue audio stereo 90 power amp. the trouble is turning the power amp off, a loud pop is heard coming from both speakers

is this normal for tube amp and any damage to my speakers?

thanks for all replies.

Does the amp have a protection circuit? Has the DC offset been checked.....could be a leaky coupling or power supply cap.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
There should not be a pop IME. I would turn the power amp off first and let it discharge, then turn off the preamp. Preamp on first, wait a bit, then turn on the amp. My old SP3a1 took a few minutes for the output to stabilize. This was not a problem driving a tube amp, but before I figured out what was happening and learned to wait about 5 minutes or so before turning onthe power amp I blew fuses in a few direct-coupled SS amps and a few speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do you mean you turn the preamp volume to zero, turn the preamp off, wait 5-10 minutes, and then turn your amp off and it pops? Has your amp always done this? Have you called Rogue and asked them if this was *normal* for your amp?

Yes, i would mute preamp, turn off amp. Then turn off preamp. I can mute my amp, and even then, if i mute preamp and amp...then shut off pre first...the amp's DC protection will occassionally trigger and put the amp temporarily into protection. i have done it by accident...

thevoice

Feb 9, 2012

1 turn the volume to zero
2 wait 5-10 minutes
3 turn off the amp
4 wait for another 1 minute
5 turn off the pre.

thats my sequence. the cap or caps are the trouble maker. rogue audio has offered to repair it but i am not america.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thats the right sequence of course. sorry to hear about the problem. hopefully, a good local audio tech can help...should hopefully be a straightforward fix. good luck.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
You should be able to turn off the amp immediately after turning the preamp's volume to zero, then wait 5 - 10 minutes before turning off the pre-amp.

If you did not have this problem before, you either have a bad (leaky) coupling capacitor (in the preamp or the amp), or a bleeder resistor has opened up. Either way you risk damaging your amp and speakers if you can't get it fixed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing