What is "Sound Stage?"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just a simple observation on sound stage patterns ...

It's funny somehow, but from two to six weeks ago or so my soundstage was much wider and deeper.
Evidently because I was motivated to experience some of my great music selections,
and some Mono ones, and some powerful Orchestral ones, and some very well recorded ones...

It was enriching and enlightening and enrapturing because I was using my main system.
And I was sitting in the sweet spot and enjoying and experimenting and listening attentively. :b

I am sure my soundtage remains pretty much the same because I did not change anything from my setup; speakers repositioning, components switching, wires replacements, etc.
And my hearing and the shape of my ears I'm sure are also the same.

But what is different though is my state-of-soul, or more exactly my spiritual stamina.
What I mean is this: I am not listening like I was just a few weeks ago, or at least not from the same system in my home, but from a secondary system setup. And it is a totally different soundstage.
Different yes, but still pleasant nonetheless. An absolutely different perception, and I realize how it is important to be in shape mentally when listening to music.
A comfort level, a peaceful mind, an happy state are tools of great trade in this lovely hobby.
...I think, and I am sure as well.

Definitely, when I'm happy emotionally, when I feel good about myself and the world surrounding me, I can better be receptive to the great music recordings. My perception is much higher (higher level), and I enjoy much more without bounderies, frontiers of my realities and dreams.

I just wanted to bring this state-of-spirit into the equation because I fully realize how primordial it is into this 'Sound Stage' business, and from the technical aspects of the original recordings to the music reproduction in our own rooms, and to our overall perception of the full enjoyment.
That's all, cheers to all. :b

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Excellent, Bob. Other important perspectives are state of the recording and the state of listening purpose. You could say my sound stage has collapsed in recent months, and that would only be a slight exaggeration. It has to do with my listening purpose. Several months ago, I was listening purely for pleasure and discovery as I expanded my catalog of 50s/60s jazz. We've all talked about how so much of that era of recording has beautiful ambient space - even in studio recordings. But then I decided to put a band together again, and I started listening to "material." This has led me mostly to multi-track studio recordings from the 60s through, well, now. Some of these are very good recordings. Some are even excellent. But they are very different, particularly in the areas we call sound stage. It has changed my audio experience pretty substantially.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Good point Tim regarding the 'state of the recordings' themselves in addition to our state of listening.

Each recording/mixing music engineer uses his own mic or mikes.
And the model and brand and position at the venue are as important as our own set of ears.
...His touch at the mixing console, his fingers on those sliders, etc.
The state-of-mind from the musicians as well as the recording engineer are all part of that process.

The true Sound Stage is many reflections of all of that...
The final results are a combination of much more things than we usually decipher...
The entire 'chain' resolves the physical and spiritual musical experience.
And like we said several times before;
our brain can pretty much reconstruct any soundstage we like.
And our disposition (level of comfort) is a huge entity in determining that factor.
...Sound stage's vector, in all elevation's aspects. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing