Finally, My Collection is Done

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
Hip, Hip, Horray!!!!! I did it. It's done. Finally.

I just completed my collection. And what am I talking about? At a certain point I decided to collect all the Academy Award winning Best Picture DVD's from 1955 to current. It is now finished. Plus a few more from pre-1955.

Why 1955? Well, that was roughly the start of my movie going awareness. It seemed to be a good starting point.

I have read that others have done the same basic collection some going all the way back to the beginning. Have any of you.

Now, I have to decide if I want to continue and collect all the way back to the beginning. I probably won't.

Sparky

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Congrats.

Though - now you need to expand to all the movies nominated together with the winner!

:)

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Soundproof,
Actually, I think that is a good idea. Unfortunately, I'm running out of shelf space. To do what you suggest would take up a huge space. Worth it? Probably. Not always is the winner the best movie. A lot is determined by popularity, politics and economics. George C. Scott had good reasons for refusing his Best Actor award for Patton. He was scornful of the process.

I will say that the vast majority of the "Best Picture" movies I have are truly excellent. The one I like the least is Tom Jones but that was a weak year.

Sparky

Last edited:

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
Nice work! How long did it take you?

Lee

HI Lee,
Thanks.

I started about 4 years ago with no ambitions for a collection. I was just buying what showed up on the local bargain shelves. When Best Picture movies showed up (more often than you might think) I bought them. After a while I realized I had quite a few of these and that's when the idea of a collection crystallized. I then formalized the process with a list and checked them off as I bought them. This was a very slow process because what I found was basically random. Eventually, the bargain shelves dried up.

I then started buying from Amazon, two titles per week, until I had them all. Amazon is amazing. All of these are DVD's. No Blu Rays.

In the process of researching movies, I have discovered many that I want to have that were not Academy winners. Many are foreign. I think I will now concentrate on these. For example, Hitchcock. Only Rebecca won Best Picture in 1940. I do have this one.

One thing is sure. If a person has enough storage space and money, one could collect forever. I must put some bounds on this.

Sparky

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congrats Sparky! You mentioned foreign-language films earlier, and I think that would be something really interesting to try and collect.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
I Need Some Advice and Ideas

HI All,
Since I started this thread, the collection has changed a bit. My initial goal was all the "Best Movie" award winners from 1955 to present. Well, for reasons not clear to me, I expanded the collection to 1950. It is now complete. There certainly are a lot of great movies included. I like some better than others. Most of these I have seen before which takes some of the gamble out of the situation.

I am not a movie historian. That's not my purpose. I just like good movies. I have been tempted to collect Award winners all the way back to the beginning. This would be the path of the avid collector. I already have a number of early movies (pre-1950) that I like a lot but were not necessarily Academy winners such as early Hitchcock, Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers, King Kong, Casablanca, etc. These are just movies that I enjoy. Some were also Academy winners (Gone With The Wind and Casablanca are examples).

What argues against collecting all the way back to the beginning of the Academy awards is as we go further back in time the weaker, on average, the movies seem to get. I don't want to collect just for the sake of collecting.

So, I don't know what the next step will be. I'm thinking that the most logical move would be to collect all the Best Picture Nominee's from 1950 to present. I already have many of them, maybe 25%. There is no question that often the nominees were stronger than the eventual winner. Of course, finding sufficient storage space is an issue.

Or, perhaps, I should get off the American Academy bandwagon and move to foreign movies where I am a novice.

So, what do you think I should do. I'd like to hear your ideas.

Thanks, Sparky

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
HI All,
Since I started this thread, the collection has changed a bit. My initial goal was all the "Best Movie" award winners from 1955 to present. Well, for reasons not clear to me, I expanded the collection to 1950. It is now complete. There certainly are a lot of great movies included. I like some better than others. Most of these I have seen before which takes some of the gamble out of the situation.

I am not a movie historian. That's not my purpose. I just like good movies. I have been tempted to collect Award winners all the way back to the beginning. This would be the path of the avid collector. I already have a number of early movies (pre-1950) that I like a lot but were not necessarily Academy winners such as early Hitchcock, Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers, King Kong, Casablanca, etc. These are just movies that I enjoy. Some were also Academy winners (Gone With The Wind and Casablanca are examples).

What argues against collecting all the way back to the beginning of the Academy awards is as we go further back in time the weaker, on average, the movies seem to get. I don't want to collect just for the sake of collecting.

So, I don't know what the next step will be. I'm thinking that the most logical move would be to collect all the Best Picture Nominee's from 1950 to present. I already have many of them, maybe 25%. There is no question that often the nominees were stronger than the eventual winner. Of course, finding sufficient storage space is an issue.

Or, perhaps, I should get off the American Academy bandwagon and move to foreign movies where I am a novice.

Thanks, Sparky

I would personally pick my favorite director from any of the movies in the collection and then collect the complete output of that director.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Steve,
Yes, I have considered what you suggest. Actually, I just recently discovered the American Film Institute. I have printed their lists but have not yet studied it carefully. I do think you have a good idea. At first blush the AFI's selections are much broader than the Academy award winners and chosen for a purpose. As you must know, not all of their selections lend themselves to a collection of movies. Often they are just film clips and other such miscellanea that are out side the realm of movies but are still significant from an historical point of view. Collecting from their list will require much more work than my relatively simpleminded Academy collection. But, I can see that it may be very worthwhile. It is interesting to note how little overlap there is between the Academy winners and the AFI selections.

Thanks for your idea. I'll be checking it out.

Sparky

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would try Best Foreign Language Films.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
HI All,

Thanks, Sparky

Quite interesting sir.

There are many kinds of movie 'buffs' (cinephiles). ...And movie collectors.
World Cinema history, from the very first silent films, is full of gems. And from them you can reconstruct the main social aspects of all the world's philosophies, human's psychologies, laws and principles.
Because movie directors are visionaries and creators and observators and communicators, they are usually good at transmitting the messages they felt during their lifetime (the important directors anyway).

And it's good to explore French cinema (from France), Italian cinema, German cinema, Spanish cinema, Mexican cinema, Canadian cinema, American cinema, Russian cinema, Indian cinema, Japanese cinema, and all.

Academy Award films are American history, not World Cinema history.
A 'completist', a cineaste, a movie lover is someone with a vast vision, world vision.

World cinema is the eyes into the human behaviors since it was invented. ...And from each region, culture of the world.

Some movie collectors are concentrated on French cinema, and German cinema, or Italian cinema; others on American cinema, and Japanese cinema masters, and on and on.

You could go with all the best movie directors of the world, and you can go with the actors and actresses; all the best.
You can go with one continent, or another continent, or all the continents. ...All the various languages and cultures of our planet.

I know some people who have 20,000 and more films in their collections.
Some movie directors have some extensive collections too.

I dunno, each person has its own set of values regarding film's history. ...Just like music; Classical, Jazz, Blues, Rock, .,.,.
And they always upgrade to the latest technologies and best visual and sounding material.

There is much more money to be smartly invested in learning about humanity than money spent in the reproducers; if you know what I mean.

Move where your heart dictates you to go, and nowhere else. ...That's what I think.
{You won't be able to watch all the great cinema gems of the world, but your legacy might benefit your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren, ..,.. and their friends, and the friends of their friends, and movie museums, and the world.}

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
-I have yet to seen this film.

-- View attachment 7481

To me, this movie was "Ingmar Bergman meets Dostoyesvki in Iran". Bergman genius for filmmaking, combined with Dostoyevskian insight into the depth of the human soul.

Of course, this is from pseudo intellectual European liberal with a knack for late Beethoven string quartets and Albert Camus, so others may see this movie differently, but I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
This years winner "A Separation" is one of the best movies I have seen all year. Not a bad place to start.

HI edorr,
You seem to think that I only buy movies that pertain to my collection. That's not true at all. I buy anything that appeals to me and if it happens to fit into a specific collection, then fine. I try very hard to not be fenced into any buying strategy. Therefore, you saying that A Separation is "Not a bad place to start" implies that I have not started. Start what? Do you think this is true? I don't. I think my current 1000 DVD collection is more than a start. Thus, I don't understand your statement. Can you explain?

Sparky

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing