Attention Audiophiles and Music Aficionados!!!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, gentlemen of the forum. It has come to my attention that this non-profit organization is looking out for what is a vaguely important part of our hobby.

http://www.turnmeup.org/

While it may not do anything, one can always hope. If you like dynamic range compression in your music, don't bother clicking the link. If you like music the way it should be recorded, please join in the cause. Let your voice be heard and let the artists possibly at least have a choice. Help them to help us.

Enjoy the music.

Tom

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
#1 reason to get behind the effort: "We're currently considering a measurement that will be precise, scientific, and 100% repeatable. It will not be a subjective or interpretative measurement in any way. "

Math is uniquely impervious to opinion.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
1 post, that's it? At least he gets it.....and thank you, BTW.

I thought you folks would want better sound......or at the very least, the option thereof. Personally? I'd like the option and I'm sure the artists would as well.

Enjoy the music.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
treitz3, I don't think the apparent lack of response was because people don't care; rather that what you talk of is a given, no-one would disagree with the ideas of that organisation, and they just feel they can't add any thing more here that would enlarge on what you already said.

Personally, I'm going through an exercise of trying to reverse the damage to some degree of what recordings are already out there -- so that's my contribution to the cause!!

Thumbs up,
Frank

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Great read. I don't know if it will change anything though. I think the music industry is addicted to loudness like Wimpy to hamburgers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I really enjoyed the ST Micro AES presentation in that link. I highly recommend folks watch it.

Alas, while he briefly hits on the effects of loudness compression on *audio* compression, I think there is an important consideration there. When you compress music to low bit rate audio transients are your enemy. The codec likes audio that changes less than more. So loudness compensation which raises the level of low level signals (i.e. lower dynamic range) can improve fidelity of music that is compressed later. The correlation is not great here but it does exist.

I always thought that when music is mastered, people should listen to compressed (audio compression) of it and not just mix the music and then have it sound however it sounds later when it is compressed. But we digress :).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I really enjoyed the ST Micro AES presentation in that link. I highly recommend folks watch it.
Hello, Amir. There are so many links in that link, could you be so kind as to point me in the right direction as to what it is you are referring too?

Thank you in advance and enjoy the music.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello, Amir. There are so many links in that link, could you be so kind as to point me in the right direction as to what it is you are referring too?

Thank you in advance and enjoy the music.
Hello there. Click on this image in the link (not here) and it will play a presentation:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
actually this has been out for a couple of years....
Yeh, I am sure they are pushing molasses up hill. There is no way anyone is going to care or want to listen to them. But I thought there was educational data in there. The AES presentation above was especially fun to watch. Didn't think chip guys could be so soft and thoughtful to care about such things :).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Ah, yes. I apologize, I did not know which link you were referring too. Thank you nonetheless. The link below offers additional tidbits of info from that video to which I agree, "I highly recommend folks watch it"...

http://www.sfxmachine.com/docs/loudnesswar/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing