May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albert is the guy who told me to buy the Technics SP-10 MKII and the SME 312s arm. Albert even set me up with the guy who could source the SME 312s arm since it normally isn't sold in the U.S.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Since the hi end showcasers and infomercial audiophiles conduct a coronation and anointment ceremony every 6 months or so for the next greatest cartridge, who is worrying about needle time?

Sort of like Harry Pearson syndrome, why worry about hours the cartridges will never accumulate before they are moved on to audiogon or its ilk after the de-throning down the road?

Maybe the diaper shows the dark shavings that indicate the needle has turned into a cutter rather than a player.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Carl-Would we be talking about the A-90 and the Anna?

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't know about the Anna, but the A-90 was certainly given the full monte with Fremerization and adulation, only to be a disappointment to several who eventually heard or bought it. One can attribute a certain amount to synergies, but early adoption seems to be a bad course for expensive cartridges. I prefer to let the beta testing go on for at least 8 months to a year and avoid the initial fanfares. I suppose with analog, anything you do sounds different, but it takes a long time to actually determine if it sounds better. Cartridges don't even settle in until a couple of months of heavy play.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So I saw tone publications mention on the SH Forums that the stylus life on this cart is 5-6K hours. How is that possible ?. If it is really true, this cart represents the bargain of the century. That long life would certianly make me very interested in purchasing this cart considering my A90 will probably be toast after 1000 hours. Is this the expected stylus life of all high end Lyra carts like the Titan and Olympos ?

You may find this post by Jonathan Carr on certain stylus profiles and expected life expectancy enlightening...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wooooow... 20 LPs in a weekend is almost 10 hours of listening per day!

Unfortunately not every weekend and thinking about it, maybe a few of those I only play one side;)

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
Your estimates of stylus life are nothing but anecdotal. What you need is an actual purpose designed stylus microscope that will show the wear state of the stylus. Such microscopes were once pretty common in high end stores. Now, they are rare and expensive when they do become available for sale. The last one I saw on ebay went for over $500. I own two stylus microscopes. The one that I have used for over 30 years is the Shure SEK-2. This is an excellent unit but, as I said, hard to find.

The second is a DIY microscope I designed specifically because the Shure unit is so hard to find. It works as well or better than the Shure but both are fully adequate for the job. The DIY scope project is fully detailed on the Audio Karma forum at:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225960

I can't believe that you all are willing to spend multi-thousands of dollars on these wonderful cartridges yet are willing to settle for no instrumentation to determine he actual state of your styli. The DIY scope project is relatively inexpensive and works like a champ. It is certainly less expensive than your record collections and your fine cartridges. I strongly suggest that you check it out.

One possibility is to build the DIY scope for your audio club and have it available for all to use at club meetings. You will not be sorry. Take it from someone who has checked thousands of styli under my scopes both for personal use and professionally.

Sparky

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i've also got a blue-bodied Parnassus that i would like to convert into an Olympos SL or Olympos Mono.

Flat:

What's a blue bodied Parnassus?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Flat:

Myles, i'm guessing here, but i don't think all Parnassus(i?) came with those unobtanium magnets that Lyra needed to salvage to make the Olympus. When I took advantage of the offer to 'give back' my Parnassus I think they had to verify that it had the special magnets.
Or I could be completely wrong, and the Flat is referring to a very obscure run made in Kentucky during Derby time.

flat6

Jun 9, 2012
Flat:

there are 2 versions of the Parnassus.
the blue-bodied version contains the plat-iron magnets required for a donor Olympos cart.
the later version - known as Parnassus DCT - came with a grey-body & does not have the plat-iron magnets.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
there are 2 versions of the Parnassus.
the blue-bodied version contains the plat-iron magnets required for a donor Olympos cart.
the later version - known as Parnassus DCT - came with a grey-body & does not have the plat-iron magnets.

Ok had both, just never just thought of them that way ;)

The Olympos is a lovely sounding cartridge and would live to hear it up against the Atlas!

flat6

Jun 9, 2012
same here (i already have an Olympos, but haven't got an Atlas yet).
would also like to compare Olympos against Olympos SL. then again, i do have a fair amount of mono records.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
One long term observation of the Atlas is the extremely fantastic tracking the cartridge has from the beginning to the more challenging end of lp's..

The only similar cartridge I have found with similar tracking is my Dyna XV-1s. Interestingly both use Ongara line contact stylus - they are slightly different on the absolute specs thou.

They both easily have the longest stylus life, making the admission price better value long term.

Still loving the cartridge.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Both Lyra and Dynavector get very similar figures and offer superb sound. On my two XV-1's I got between 3000 - 3500 hours for each.

Would you mind contrasting the sonic differences between the XV-1s and the Atlas?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing