Lyra Atlas Pics

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thanks for sharing, great pics.

I was looking to purchase a Olympos cart at one point but could not find one. I find this hobby funny because as soon as this new design was released now there are three availble and at very nice attractive pricing.

I read on another forum Jonathon mentioning this new Atlas surpases the Olympos by allot, I look forward to reading from others their thoughts along with hearing one for my self.

Could be a nice ad on to my set-up :D

Hi Dev

Yes, the hobby certainly is funny. That said, it happens all the time when a new model comes out and a certain number of owners sell the old model for the new one.
Can't comment how it sounds visa the Olympus or even a Titan I but it is comfortably better than the Kleos.

So quiet, so dynamic, so pure yet so detailed but never in your face

Cheers

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
can someone tell me if that is a piece of masking tape on the bottom of the cartridge and is it just left there as I noticed it on the mounted arm

Hi Steve

It is part of all Lyra designs. Protects the innards and never comes unstuck, unless you try to. I think from memory made from wasabi paper.

Cheers

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I thought it looked like a diaper.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Steve

It is part of all Lyra designs. Protects the innards and never comes unstuck, unless you try to. I think from memory made from wasabi paper.

Cheers

they must use some fantastic adhesive too, to have the wasabi paper stick to the metal parts of the body permanently and to stand different climate and aging. in the early 90s, i owned a lyra modified koetsu that was nude, and there was also some tape beneath the body but it looked more like electrical tape.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Nice cart!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So I saw tone publications mention on the SH Forums that the stylus life on this cart is 5-6K hours. How is that possible ?. If it is really true, this cart represents the bargain of the century. That long life would certianly make me very interested in purchasing this cart considering my A90 will probably be toast after 1000 hours. Is this the expected stylus life of all high end Lyra carts like the Titan and Olympos ?

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
So I saw tone publications mention on the SH Forums that the stylus life on this cart is 5-6K hours. How is that possible ?. If it is really true, this cart represents the bargain of the century. That long life would certianly make me very interested in purchasing this cart considering my A90 will probably be toast after 1000 hours. Is this the expected stylus life of all high end Lyra carts like the Titan and Olympos ?

Not sure, but my Parnassus lasted years!

I see that Jeff is looking for a Parnassus donor: well, he can't have mine! I'm keeping it for possible conversion to an Olympos SL myself! :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Jeff is talking through his hat. J Carr would not be happy he is putting those figures around without any substance or even asking him.

J Carr told me that it will do at least 2500 - 3000 hours and probably a bit more. He has not validated that as yet as it take a long time.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
2500-3000 hours motivates me to become a Lyra customer.

Both Lyra and Dynavector get very similar figures and offer superb sound. On my two XV-1's I got between 3000 - 3500 hours for each.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
2500-3000 hours motivates me to become a Lyra customer.

I've had my Parnassus for about 15 years (although it was mostly dormant for about 5 of those), I imagine my hours on the cartridge must be up in that sort of range, at least. Although I don't doubt it was no longer at its best, it still sounded wonderful to me.

I'm talking past tense because my Parnassus' suspension recently failed; it was this that was the final straw that persuaded me to order an Atlas.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just to put things in perspective....3,500 HOURS equals 210,000 MINUTES.

If the average length of an LP (2 sides) is 45 minutes, that equals 4,667 plays.

If you listen to 5 LP's per day that equals 933 days or roughly 2.5 years.

I listen to a significant amount of vinyl, but I don't approach 35 LP's per week.

Do you?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Just to put things in perspective....3,500 HOURS equals 210,000 MINUTES.

If the average length of an LP (2 sides) is 45 minutes, that equals 4,667 plays.

If you listen to 5 LP's per day that equals 933 days or roughly 2.5 years.

I listen to a significant amount of vinyl, but I don't approach 35 LP's per week.

Do you?

Around 25 -30 albums per week on average. Weekends easy to listen to 15-20 albums sometimes. My two dyna's each lasted around 5 years each. I am now on no 3 xv-1s. The atlas is taking the majority of the listening ATM.

Cheers

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm probably closer to 20-25 Lps per week, although I wish it were more. It's just not possible with my work schedule and everything else I have to do.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Around 25 -30 albums per week on average. Weekends easy to listen to 15-20 albums sometimes. My two dyna's each lasted around 5 years each. I am now on no 3 xv-1s. The atlas is taking the majority of the listening ATM.

Cheers

Wooooow... 20 LPs in a weekend is almost 10 hours of listening per day!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My point for posting the numbers is that cartridges last a lot longer than what one may think, because I think we over-estimate the hours of their use. Not only that, how does one really know when the life expectency has reached it's level of maturity and starts to degrade after that?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My point for posting the numbers is that cartridges last a lot longer than what one may think, because I think we over-estimate the hours of their use. Not only that, how does one really know when the life expectency has reached it's level of maturity and starts to degrade after that?

Not if you're Albert Porter. He tracks exactly how much time he has on each cartridge :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing