Lyra Atlas Pics

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I recieved my Lyra Atlas today. s/n 22. Only played a few LP's so far. I have just 3 words at the moment - Speed, Dynamics, Purity :D :cool:

Hope you enjoy the few pics of this new cartridge.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yea, plenty. the manual is very detailed with loading recommendations based on the total capacitance of your tonearm. Anyone know the cap of a Graham Phantom?

Specifications for LYRA ATLAS

Designer: Jonathan Carr

Builder: Yoshinori Mishima

Type: Medium weight, medium compliance, low-impedance moving coil cartridge

Stylus: Lyra-designed long-footprint variable-radius line-contact nude diamond (3um x 70um), slot-mounted

Cantilever system: Diamond-coated solid boron rod with short one-point wire suspension, directly mounted into cartridge body via high-pressure knife-edge system

Coils: 2-layer deep, 6N high-purity copper, cross-shaped chemically-purified high-purity iron former, 4.2ohm self-impedance, 11uH inductance

Output voltage: 0.56mV@5cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)

Frequency range: 10Hz ~ 50kHz

Channel separation: 35dB or better at 1kHz

Compliance: Approx. 12 x 10-6cm/dyne at 100Hz

Vertical tracking angle: 20 degrees

Cartridge body: One-piece machining from solid titanium billet, with reduced-surface higher-pressure headshell contact area, predominately non-parallel and asymmetrical shaping, phase-interference resonance-controlling mechanism, and body threaded directly for mounting screws

Cartridge mounting screws: 2.6mm 0.45 pitch JIS standard

Distance from mounting holes to stylus tip: 9.5mm

Cartridge weight (without stylus cover): 11.6g

Recommended tracking force: 1.65 ~ 1.75g (1.72g recommended)

Recommended load directly into MC phono input: 104ohm ~ 887ohm (determine by listening, or follow detailed guidelines in user manual)

Recommended load via step-up transformer: 5 ~ 15ohm (step-up transformer's output must be connected to 10kohm ~ 47kohm MM-level RIAA input, preferably via short, low-capacitance cable)

Recommended tonearms: High-quality pivoted or linear (tangential) tonearms with rigid bearing(s), adjustable anti-skating force, preferably VTA adjustment

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This might be the most SRA sensitive cartridge ever built because of Lyra's new "angle" technology. If that ain't right, then the coil won't line up correctly.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks. I see they (specs) are typical of cartridge manufacturers.

I like moving coil myself as well.

Tom

This is an example of where specs are deceiving. The Atlas is a very special cartridge and time will tell if Jonathan has hit a home run with his latest design. For instance, Jonathan has reduced the mass of the coils by 40% and upped the output voltage by 20%. Pretty neat trick and the reduced mass should lead to a lot more resolution. Also, the way the generator mechanism is assembled, reduced standing waves and vibrations within the cartridge. Not sure what spec would tell you that. Also it's an X-shaped coil former and that brings with it some advantages over the more conventional rectangular or square shaped former eg. channel balance.

Jonathan also obviously found some of his ideas, like having a polycarbonate or air former too hard to implement with the Atlas. The Atlas is supposed to be a bitch to build and Mishima listens to every cartridge before it's sent out.

Now where the hell is mine? :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You installed in the Phantom or Supreme?

Looking forward to future installments!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
You installed in the Phantom or Supreme?

Looking forward to future installments!

Plain old Phantom Myles. I should upgrade to the supreme just for the spirit level.

I am sure yours is not too far away:b

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Plain old Phantom Myles. I should upgrade to the supreme just for the spirit level.

I am sure yours is not too far away:b

Yeah I hate to be too pushy with the distributor :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hopefully in the same shipment as mine! :)

To the OP: Nice pics, but it seems that Lyra no longer use real wooden boxes for their cartridges... :-(

I had the helikon many years ago. Can't remember if that had wooden box.

Kleos has similar box to the Atlas. I like the current box and packing to be honest. Works very well and very safe for shipping.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just hope I get mine before the Mayan Calendar runs out. Green. My University color is green. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I recieved my Lyra Atlas today. s/n 22. Only played a few LP's so far. I have just 3 words at the moment - Speed, Dynamics, Purity :D :cool:

Hope you enjoy the few pics of this new cartridge.

Thanks for sharing, great pics.

I was looking to purchase a Olympos cart at one point but could not find one. I find this hobby funny because as soon as this new design was released now there are three availble and at very nice attractive pricing.

I read on another forum Jonathon mentioning this new Atlas surpases the Olympos by allot, I look forward to reading from others their thoughts along with hearing one for my self.

Could be a nice ad on to my set-up :D

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm sooo jealous. :)

I just have a humble little Argo(i) but it sounds wonderful.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I was looking to purchase a Olympos cart at one point but could not find one.

Me too--well, having my Parnassus converted into an Olympos SL.

I read on another forum Jonathon mentioning this new Atlas surpases the Olympos by allot, I look forward to reading from others their thoughts along with hearing one for my self.

It was Jonathan's comments to me on Audiogon vis a vis the Olympos SL vs Atlas that convinced me to put my Olympos plans on hold for now and go for the Atlas. But I'm hanging onto my Parnassus so that an Olympos Sl remains a possibility... :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thanks for the nice thoughts gents

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing