Lyra Atlas Pics

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Would you mind contrasting the sonic differences between the XV-1s and the Atlas?

XV-1, can you describe the sonics and how they differ between your Atlas, XV-1s and A90? Thanks.

Hmmm, tuff one gents - all cartridges are wonderful, so bear in mind will no doubt may sound different in different systems

In my system, the XV-1s is the genuine all rounder - does everything well and to me sounds like what the best tube gear does. Slightly generous bass which gives the music a foundation with a little tonal meat in the mid range with a really nice airy treble. the XV-1s sounds excellent with tube and SS phono stage. go to cartridge for rock n roll and not so great sounding alternative albums.

the A-90 in comparison is a little laid back in overall music delivery and not seem to have the bass drive the XV-1s has - more a intimate jazz cartridge than rock n roller. Tracking is not as good as the other two cartridges. the A-90 stylus is closer to worn than not, so really does not get much use now.

Atlas is like a formula one car, fast and pure top to bottom with a tight bottom end. No tonal meat in the upper bass/midrange with the Atlas. Excels with all music except for lean rock n roll/alternative when it can sound a little threadbare. Early Bob Dylan or Beatles will sound better with the XV-1s or A90 as they add a little tonal meat. Clarity when playing complex or multi tracked music is SOTA as the notes seem to start and stop with ease and lack of overhang. Loves electronic music to the max. Loves my tube phono stage as it brings out the best qualities of the tubes including treble extension and quickness, whereas with my SS phono it seems to highlight the weaknesses more and sounds a little mechanical.

When the time comes, I will definately have the Atlas and XV-1s rebuilt however not the A-90. 1200 hours or so play time for the A-90 vs 2500+ with the Lyra and Dyna.

Bottom line, having different cartridges on different tables gives you the opportunity to enjoy all music types with little downside.

BTW, I just bought the Delos cart for another flavour. WOW, for the $$ it really is a bargin. All the Lyra attributes of clarity and speed with a little bass weight. I actually prefer it to the Kleos which is more refined but lacks a little life in the upper frequencies imo.

14613730487_750bde29de_b.jpg

Reactions: RickS

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thank you SO much for this, XV-1.

Based on your descriptions, I will remain much happier with my XV-1s as I do find it sounds great. It's important to me to have meat on the bones (as I do play the Beatles!) and still have good air on top. Especially since I use a SS phono stage.

Thanks again for taking the time to describe the differences.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thank you SO much for this, XV-1.

Based on your descriptions, I will remain much happier with my XV-1s as I do find it sounds great. It's important to me to have meat on the bones (as I do play the Beatles!) and still have good air on top. Especially since I use a SS phono stage.

Thanks again for taking the time to describe the differences.

You need a 2nd arm on the Raven. Then you can have it both ways :D

The xv-1t has intrigued me as from reviews it seems to have a bit tighter bass , better clarity but still that airy dyna sound - but bloody expensive and cannot afford 2 x 10k carts.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I found some pure Copper head shell cartridge clips that are Rhodium plated. Seem to match the pins on the Atlas . Much better than the cheap brass ones

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hmmm, tuff one gents - all cartridges are wonderful, so bear in mind will no doubt may sound different in different systems

the A-90 in comparison is a little laid back in overall music delivery and not seem to have the bass drive the XV-1s has - more a intimate jazz cartridge than rock n roller. Tracking is not as good as the other two cartridges. the A-90 stylus is closer to worn than not, so really does not get much use now.

When the time comes, I will definately have the Atlas and XV-1s rebuilt however not the A-90. 1200 hours or so play time for the A-90 vs 2500+ with the Lyra and Dyna.

Thank you XV-1 for that detailed description. I'm surprised about the A-90. I had thought that was near state of the art with ultimate resolution, clarity and lack of distortion. I had one but sold it before having a chance to listen to it. I also was not aware of the considerably shorter stylus life.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thank you XV-1 for that detailed description. I'm surprised about the A-90. I had thought that was near state of the art with ultimate resolution, clarity and lack of distortion. I had one but sold it before having a chance to listen to it. I also was not aware of the considerably shorter stylus life.

Don't get me wrong. The A-90 is an extremely good cartridge and more transparent than the XV-1s, but its laid back slightly reserved personality makes the XV-1s a more musically enjoyable cartridge.

I have always found the HiFi news review of the A-90 represents a reasonably accurate view
http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/ortofon-mc-a90-pound;3000/9611

The stylus life for me at least is a game breaker, so I will never buy a cartridge with such an extreme stylus profile as the replicant 100.

Vermin

Nov 4, 2014
Norway
Are there anybody in here that has tried the Atlas with a Triplanar arm? Any thoughts?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Are there anybody in here that has tried the Atlas with a Triplanar arm? Any thoughts?

I have. Works great. I had a triplanar before my current schroder lt arm....

bgupton

Sep 23, 2014
San Francisco, CA

In my system, the XV-1s is the genuine all rounder - does everything well and to me sounds like what the best tube gear does. Slightly generous bass which gives the music a foundation with a little tonal meat in the mid range with a really nice airy treble. the XV-1s sounds excellent with tube and SS phono stage. go to cartridge for rock n roll and not so great sounding alternative albums.

Atlas is like a formula one car, fast and pure top to bottom with a tight bottom end. No tonal meat in the upper bass/midrange with the Atlas. Excels with all music except for lean rock n roll/alternative when it can sound a little threadbare. Early Bob Dylan or Beatles will sound better with the XV-1s or A90 as they add a little tonal meat. Clarity when playing complex or multi tracked music is SOTA as the notes seem to start and stop with ease and lack of overhang. Loves electronic music to the max. Loves my tube phono stage as it brings out the best qualities of the tubes including treble extension and quickness, whereas with my SS phono it seems to highlight the weaknesses more and sounds a little mechanical.

Bottom line, having different cartridges on different tables gives you the opportunity to enjoy all music types with little downside.

BTW, I just bought the Delos cart for another flavour. WOW, for the $$ it really is a bargin. All the Lyra attributes of clarity and speed with a little bass weight. I actually prefer it to the Kleos which is more refined but lacks a little life in the upper frequencies imo.

View attachment 16700

Would love to get your input on my post over hear given your experience and setup:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?16813-Lyra-Atlas-or-Koetsu-or-something-else

Vermin

Nov 4, 2014
Norway
I have. Works great. I had a triplanar before my current schroder lt arm....

Thank you!
I now have an Atlas in my TriPlanar, and a Colibri in my 4Point. Completely different sounding cartridges that works in a great symbiosis on my Raven. The best of both worlds, perhaps? :eek:

Last edited:

number95

May 14, 2014
_MG_7128.jpg

I have had Atlas to try for a while. It has been a beauty. Here it is seen as mounted to Graham Phantom B-44

Vermin

Nov 4, 2014
Norway
Where have you guys ended up on loading the cart?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Where have you guys ended up on loading the cart?

Mine is at 670ohms...but this will vary by phono stage and cabling that's used...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wow, in a few weeks I have had my Atlas for 3 years.

How time flies:cool:

Atlas loaded at 500ohms on both my ss or tube phono.

Vermin

Nov 4, 2014
Norway
Been using SUT until now, but bought myself a Whest phono stage for use with the Atlas. Could not really get it perfect with the tubes, to bloomy for my acquired taste. That just why i wondered, keep em coming!
Have been setting up the cart with use of both USB-microscope and Adjust+ software, and the new angle technology really proves to work out well. But ONLY if it is proper set ut, the SRA shows 92 degrees when the VTA is 90degrees, and so on......

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
www.euphonia-audioforum.se
Maybe the diaper shows the dark shavings that indicate the needle has turned into a cutter rather than a player.
It does, and prevents the shavings from entering the motor.
On the older versions the rice paper is close to hitting the vinyl, but on recent it is firmly wrapped to the housing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing