Pioneer RT-901

R-2-R

Aug 10, 2010
Hello to all the reel to reel fans out there!

First off my apologies for not having to have posted in such a very long time.

So I'll post a very long story of success that I encountered.

For about 4-5 years now I had been searching, specifically, for a Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel. During my quest, it always seemed that I would miss out, either being a "Day-Late" or a "Dollar-Short" of making the deal. Well I didn't get a Pioneer RT-909 but got the next best thing close to it, a Pioneer RT-901 instead!
About 3-4 weeks ago I answered a Craigslist add on a Pioneer RT-901 reel to reel for sale. The seller was a retired radio broadcaster and he and his wife were moving and were selling everything they could before the move. He said that the reel to reel had been in a climate controlled storage for the past 15 years and was asking for $275 for it. It came with the the original nab hub adapters (PP-220A), the original Owners/User Manual and the original Service Manual, along with 7 metal reels with tape (but no original Pioneer PR-101 or PR-100 metal reel). After careful examination and inspection (especially the heads, which I feel are one of the most important parts of any reel to reel that should be checked) the unit would power up but would not move. I felt that I would give it a shot at repairing it since I did not want a money-pit unit, I offered him $150 for it and he agreed.:)
Once I got it and everything else home, the first thing that I did was give it a very good cleaning inside and out. Especially each of the heads, they came out looking shiny and new, after an hour spent cleaning just on those alone. The "Drive Belt" had deteriorated and turned to goo. Had to clean the Capstan motor pully surface and the two large surface Spindels that the belt goes around. Ordered a new Drive Belt. Those pesky "Pinch Rollers" were very, very soft and also turning to goo! Removed them and sent them to Terrys (Terryrubberrollers.com) for a complete restoration. Now I was limited to electronics part since it needed a new Drive Belt and Pinch Rollers to be replaced and could not do anything until I received them. ($70, including shipping on Pinch Rollers restoration + $14 on a new Drive Belt for the RT-901 & a new Counter Belt for a Pioneer RT-707, total so far invested: $84 bucks!);)
After a few days, once I received the new Drive Belt and restored Pinch Rollers, installed everything and now the moment of truth arrived. Installed two metal reels, one with tape of course, properly threaded the tape, after saying a prayer to GOD, plugged the unit in, pressed the turn on button then play button and...S-M-O-O-T-H...playing!:D
Wow! Now I know what others have known all this time. This is one fanastic reel to reel! I was/am very, very pleased and impressed by it's performance! Now that I have a fully functional Pioneer RT-901 I started to search for a pair of matching metal reels, specifically a pair of Pioneer PR-101's and a pair of Pioneer PR-100's. I have since found those too and purchased them!;)

But not 'everything' is peaches-n-cream. I did have one problem. I also now know what everyone else has been saying about the specifics of the Pioneer PP-220 and PP-220A nab hub adapters. These nab hub adapters are "JACKED UP"! Now in all honesty, this is my very first experience with a Pinoeer RT-90# series reel to reel and I have read up on all that I could about this series. Well it's true what is said about them. They are just no good. While I was installing the nab hub adapters to the metal reels, two out of the three small plastic prongs broke off of one nab hub and one broke off of the other! Boy was I pissed!:mad:
Tossed them aside and now I am looking for some customized aluminum nab hub adapters, just have to find the right price for that particular style that I want.

Well, like I said from the beginning, it was a long ass story!

THE END!

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello to all the reel to reel fans out there!

First off my apologies for not having to have posted in such a very long time.

So I'll post a very long story of success that I encountered.

Four about 4-5 years now I had been searching, specifically, for a Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel. During my quest, it always seemed that I would miss out, either being a "Day-Late" or a "Dollar-Short" of making the deal. Well I didn't get a Pioneer RT-909 but got the next best thing close to it, a Pioneer RT-901 instead!
About 3-4 weeks ago I answered a Craigslist add on a Pioneer RT-901 reel to reel for sale. The seller was a retired radio broadcaster and he and his wife were moving and were selling everything they could before the move. He said that the reel to reel had been in a climate controlled storage for the past 15 years and was asking for $275 for it. It came with the the original nab hub adapters (PP-220A), the original Owners/User Manual and the original Service Manual, along with 7 metal reels with tape (but no original Pioneer PR-101 or PR-100 metal reel). After careful examination and inspection (especially the heads, which I feel are one of the most important parts of any reel to reel that should be checked) the unit would power up but would not move. I felt that I would give it a shot at repairing it since I did not want a money-pit unit, I offered him $150 for it and he agreed.:)
Once I got it and everything else home, the first thing that I did was give it a very good cleaning inside and out. Especially each of the heads, they came out looking shiny and new, after an hour spent cleaning just on those alone. The "Drive Belt" had deteriorated and turned to goo. Had to clean the Capstan motor pully surface and the two large surface Spindels that the belt goes around. Ordered a new Drive Belt. Those pesky "Pinch Rollers" were very, very soft and also turning to goo! Removed them and sent them to Terrys (Terryrubberrollers.com) for a complete restoration. Now I was limited to electronics part since it needed a new Drive Belt and Pinch Rollers to be replaced and could not do anything until I received them. ($70, including shipping on Pinch Rollers restoration + $14 on a new Drive Belt for the RT-901 & a new Counter Belt for a Pioneer RT-707, total so far invested: $84 bucks!);)
After a few days, once I received the new Drive Belt and restored Pinch Rollers, installed everything and now the moment of truth arrived. Installed two metal reels, one with tape of course, properly threaded the tape, after saying a prayer to GOD, plugged the unit in, pressed the turn on button then play button and...S-M-O-O-T-H...playing!:D
Wow! Now I know what others have known all this time. This is one fanastic reel to reel! I was/am very, very pleased and impressed by it's performance! Now that I have a fully functional Pioneer RT-901 I started to search for a pair of matching metal reels, specifically a pair of Pioneer PR-101's and a pair of Pioneer PR-100's. I have since found those too and purchased them!;)

But not 'everything' is peaches-n-cream. I did have one problem. I also now know what everyone else has been saying about the specifics of the Pioneer PP-220 and PP-220A nab hub adapters. These nab hub adapters are "JACKED UP"! Now in all honesty, this is my very first experience with a Pinoeer RT-90# series reel to reel and I have read up on all that I could about this series. Well it's true what is said about them. They are just no good. While I was installing the nab hub adapters to the metal reels, two out of the three small plastic prongs broke off of one nab hub and one broke off of the other! Boy was I pissed!:mad:
Tossed them aside and now I am looking for some customized aluminum nab hub adapters, just have to find the right price for that particular style that I want.

Well, like I said from the beginning, it was a long ass story!

THE END!

Did u check www.j-corder.com? They have several different types varying in price.

R-2-R

Aug 10, 2010
Yea, already know all about J-corder.com, they have been around for sometime now, everything is way "over" priced there!
Only a desperate fellow would pay that price and I'm definetly not 'desperate'!
Never have been, never will be.
I don't mine paying good money for good quality equipment (because I have before) but I also don't want to get f%#k'ed over either. I'm not saying that I want to buy it dirt cheap, only at a fair & reasonable price.
I'll find exactly what I am looking for, just take three things:....... searching..... time......&......patience.

R-2-R

Aug 10, 2010
Yes, I will post pictures as soon as I can find the cable that connects my digital camera to my laptop. It is misplaced somewhere in my house, currently looking for it!

EDIT**:( I have since tried posting pictures of my Pioneer RT-901, but due to problems with the WBF not automatically being able to resize the pictures, when I did post them they came out very, very large (like looking at them through a magnifying glass! I was not satisfied with the look so I deleted the actual post.
Sorry until something can be done about this on this forum, it appears as though no pictures will be posted. I've also noticed that there really are not alot of pictures (very few at that) that are posted here on WBF?!
I just have to say that this is the only forum that I am aware of that I have encountered this problem. I've never had a problem posting any type of photos on other forums and I belong to a number of different forums, no problems posting pictures on any one of them.

BUT!!! You can see pictures here at one of these two places:

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?p=207879#post207879

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=5402882#post5402882

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing