Do You Look at the Measurements?

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com
I hadn't posted in so long that the forum automatically sent me a message inviting me back. So I reset my password and decided to also post this question.

As some of you might now, I'm publisher of the SoundStage! Network. I've seen various messages about measurements here, but I have kind of a different question. Regardess of whether your understand or use the measurements, do you actually LOOK at the measurements? I'm not talking about a glance. I'm talking a meaningful look to see what's presented -- again, whether you use them or not, or fully understand them or not is not part of this.

I ask because we have our own internal metrics about how many times the measurements versus the reviews are looked at, but they don't obviously break things down into exact who it is looking. So that's why I'm asking explicitly.

Thanks,
Doug Schneider @ SoundStageNetwork.com

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I do look at measurements when presented.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Doug, very nice website. I do look at measurements but my "ear" is veritas.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Doug,
I often go there, looking for old and patiently waiting for recent measurements :(

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I glance at them in the hope that I can actually interpret what they mean. Usually it's all gobbly-gook to me, but there are times they makes sense. I've gotten better since joining WBF and reading the threads, but it's still a world of mass-confusion for me most times.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Eons ago I would look at such things, but the measurements, because they don't actually measure what's important to people listening with a critical ear, have virtually zero relevance.

Frank

I'm curious which measurements "you" feel have the most relevance

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I look at reviewers' measurements and dismiss manufacturers' as conveniently... miscalculated...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I look at reviewers' measurements and dismiss manufacturers' as conveniently... miscalculated...

They must love you at TAS and the lot. And while perhaps not totally untrue (thanks to the marketing teams), wouldn't you put your best foot forward?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I'm curious which measurements "you" feel have the most relevance
You'll hate me saying this, but it is the degree of low level distortion coming through ...

In the "good old days" of Martin Colloms reviews of quite ordinary speakers there were graphs of 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion over the full frequency range, at two levels of dB sound out. No-one as far as I know is doing anything like this these days, no matter high end the unit.

There are no measurements of how distortion figures like this vary, if at all, with degree of system warm-up or run in; nor how senstive the equipment is to mains supply interference. These are the things that truly matter in the real world; the only way people find out is by trialing the equipment over a period of time ...

Frank

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Doug and welcome back. While I may have looked at measurements in the past [many years ago], I never look at them now. Not even out of curiosity. They are completely useless to me, as they have absolutely nothing to do with the end result as to what hits my ears. The end result is the only thing that matters to me.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes I do. There is still a huge divide between my being able to look at them and "imagine" how that translates to how I'd hear it.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Frank

You have to know where to look. I look at measurements all the time. Depending on how complete they are they can tell you quite a bit.

Rob:)

Attachments

• Distortion 2 lev&#10.jpg
    Distortion 2 lev&#10.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1400 Distortion..jpg
    1400 Distortion..jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 75

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Thanks for those, Rob! So, where do we find this magical stuff, then -- are you talking about Zaph, etc?

Of interest, note how the 2nd harmonic starts to rocket up at higher frequencies; getting to around 30-40db down: not so good. When you get a cleaner graph, nudging 60dB down much of the way then you're talking of some better stuff ...

Frank

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Of interest, note how the 2nd harmonic starts to rocket up at higher frequencies; getting to around 30-40db down:

Frank you have to subtract 20db from those graphs. The legend say up 20db so you can see them at that scale. So at 500hz you are at -55Db down on the 2nd

Rob

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Frank you have to subtract 20db from those graphs. The legend say up 20db so you can see them at that scale. So at 500hz you are at -55Db down on the 2nd

Rob
Yes, I took that into consideration. The human ear is more sensitive to distortion at higher frequencies, and if you check what's happening above 5KHz or so, on each one of those graphs; that's where I got the 30-40dB down numbers.

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing