Bluetooth and APT-X, a listening impression

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Bluetooth audio is part of the Bluetooth specs.
As the bandwidth is limited the maximum bitrate is 576kbps for 2 channel audio.
Bit like a 256kbs MP3.

In general I use the WASAPI driver.
It bypasses the Win mixer.
All what is send using WASAPI must match the properties of the audio device.
Sending Redbook (16 bit/44.1 kHz) to the Bluetooth audio device failed.
Obvious Bluetooth audio only plays 48 kHz.
If you play Redbook over Bluetooth it must be resampled to 48 kHz and lossy compression must be applied.
No bit perfect playback here.
Small wonder Bluetooth has a bad reputation sound quality wise.

I bought a Sennheiser PXC 360 BT.
The BT stands for Bluetooth of course.
Why did I buy a Bluetooth headphone as it is such an audiophile disgrace?
Well the analog out of my Samsung Galaxy S II is a disgrace too.
The internet says Samsung switched from Wolfson to Yamaha.
Now I do think Yamaha has a good reputation in audio but I can’t escape the feeling Samsung was looking for the cheapest of the cheapest possible solution.
This sounds like 8 bits.

You can also connect the PXC by wire to the phone.
Believe it or not, over the Bluetooth the sound is better than wired!
Simply more transparent.

APT-X is a proprietary codec by CSR
Over Bluetooth it is a lossy protocol but said to improve sound quality compared with SBC, the mandatory BT audio codec.
The Sennheiser comes with support for both SBC and APT-X.
As APT-X is not part of the Bluetooth standard you need a dongle supporting this protocol to communicate with the Sennheiser over APT-X.

To compare it with standard Bluetooth audio codec (SBC) I made 2 zones in JRiver.
One using the build-in Bluetooth the other a dongle by Creative (BT-D1 USB transmitter).
Both zones use WASAPI – event style with a 250 ms hardware buffer.
Internal volume at 100%
JRivers DSP studio is used to resample from 44 > 48 kHz.

Rapid AB is a bit troublesome in this scenario.
You have to switch of the laptop Bluetooth, insert the dongle and wait for the devices to pair.
The paring is automatically but last a couple of seconds.

APT-X is a bit louder than SBC, don’t know why.
But as louder is better it makes the comparison more complex.
As a true reviewer I of course don’t use stuff like a SPL-meter, that is for the weak!
I don’t even own one.
So I turned the headphone volume a notch down.
Using this amateur way to match volume I still perceived a difference.
The APT-X simply supplies more details, is more transparent.

BTW: I have not found a way to verify what codec is actually used.
The USB descriptor dumper tells a lot about the dongle but not what is going on inside.

Next question: how do you get APT-X on your Android?

Last test, connect the PXC wired to the Benchmark DAC 1 and compare this with the APT-X.
This is no match.
That is not necessary due to APT-X.
By using the headphone wired you also bypass the DAC and headphone amp of the PXC.
Wired the sound is more detailed.

Very last test, compare the PXC with the Etymotic ER4P both wired to the DAC1.
Again a volume match problem as they do differ substantial in Impedance.
Again no match.
The Etymotic offers a superior performance.
The PXC simple is not able to resolve tiny details. It smears the sound. It is also a bit bass heavy.

Anyway I’m happy with the PXC.
Commuting by train, this headphone over the Bluetooth gives me a better sound than the analog crap out of the Galaxy into the Etymotic.

All testing has been done sighted.
It is up to you to provide the proverbial grain of salt.

photona

May 7, 2012
windows and apt-x ?

I bought a Nokia MD-310 Bluetooth Receiver that supports APT-X. Also I plugged a brand new Bluetooth 3.0 - dongle to my PC and connected the PC via Bluetooth with the MD-310. But it sounds the same as the standard bluetooth stereo-audio (without apt-x) so I cannot believe apt-x is really used.

Do I need special drivers or a special USB-dongle to use APT-X with Windows 7? Isn´t a dongle with Bluetooth V3.0 enough?

Thanks in advance

p.

photona

May 7, 2012
Ok, Thanks a lot! At this time the creative BT-D1 seems to be the only one that supports APT-X. But it seems not to be available in Germany these days...

edit
not true, I found the Sennheiser BTD 500 USB and´ll give it a try.

good night!

Last edited:

photona

May 7, 2012
creative BT-D1, ordered it straight from their webshop.
If they ship to the Netherlands , Germany won't be a problem either

Yes, I´ve also seen it in their webshop, but they only seem to accept paypal (and I don´t like this). I read some reviews about the BT-D1 and it´s told that it doesn´t support Bluetooth profiles apart from audio-transmission. Is this correct?
I ordered the Sennheiser BTD 500 last night (via Amazon) and I´ll see if it works for me.

edit

Rapid AB is a bit troublesome in this scenario.
You have to switch of the laptop Bluetooth, insert the dongle and wait for the devices to pair.
The paring is automatically but last a couple of seconds.

I read your first article again (paying more attention this time) and just want to tell you, how I realised a useful A/B comparsion between SBC (Sony MW600) and - so I thought - aptx (Nokia MD-310 and Samsung HS3000).

I simply plugged the output of the Bluetooth - receiver to the input of my soundcard (M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96), and recorded the transmitted reference sound at the same time. Then I normalized the resulting recordings to 0 dB to get the same sound volume and then I did a monitoring with AKG 701 headphones.

And what was the result of this "complex" testing? The same crappy sounding SBC-compression with all 3 receivers. After all I asked Vincent Kars to find out that I need a proprietary Bluetooth-dongle;). When I got one I will do the A/B comparsion again to hear what aptx really sounds like.

p.

drpbl

Nov 17, 2013
I am surprised this thread has had so little activity.
My listening impression is apt x provides better clarity and sound stage definition accross the board over direct wire and SBC.
My Samsung 7 Plus provides apt x transmission and my LG HBS730 BT earbuds receive. Great mobile sound. For everything else I use an Avantree Saturn transceiver hooked into non-BT outputs. For non-powered speakers you need some low ohm devices to run off the Saturn. I chose Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 earbuds. Better clarity than my M-Audio M40 powered speakers with the same input.
I am looking for some low ohm circumaurals next. No great reviews yet on the new Sennheiser 335s. Feedback?

drpbl

Nov 17, 2013
I am surprised this thread has had so little activity.
My listening impression is apt x provides better clarity and sound stage definition accross the board over direct wire and SBC.
My Samsung 7 Plus provides apt x transmission and my LG HBS730 BT earbuds receive. Great mobile sound. For everything else I use an Avantree Saturn transceiver hooked into non-BT outputs. For non-powered speakers you need some low ohm devices to run off the Saturn. I chose Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 earbuds. Better clarity than my M-Audio M40 powered speakers with the same input.
I am looking for some low ohm circumaurals next. No great reviews yet on the new Sennheiser 335s. Feedback?

Btw this is my travel system. I throw the M40s into the car, everything else goes in my computer bag.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing