Hybrid SACD - What are some good ones?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John,

The new Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here SACD has been getting rave reviews. Mine is in the mail to me now. Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc have the low prices on it. Amazon is a bit more, but the free shipping can offset most of the difference.

Lee

Did you receive the dics Lee? How is the sound quality?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Did you receive the dics Lee? How is the sound quality?

I enjoyed it immensely. I mentioned that when you hear something like this disc, which presents very familiar music in a new way, there is an adjustment period where you simply have to "get used to" the new sonic landscape. The multi-channel approach provides much greater clarity to the instrumental lines and special effects. It more closely approximates what you heard at a Floyd concert. You'll like it!

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I enjoyed it immensely. I mentioned that when you hear something like this disc, which presents very familiar music in a new way, there is an adjustment period where you simply have to "get used to" the new sonic landscape. The multi-channel approach provides much greater clarity to the instrumental lines and special effects. It more closely approximates what you heard at a Floyd concert. You'll like it!

Lee

:D Even more excited to get it now! Thanks Lee!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just ordered the new PF WYWH SACD from analogue productions...plus remastered Waltz for Debbie (Bill Evans Trio), Midnite at Notre Dame (supposedly amazing SOTA recording Bach organ), plus around 15 remastered SACDs from Analogue, FIM, MFSL...half and half new/marked down from local seller or amazon.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
The MFSL re-master of The Beach Boys Pet Sounds is Hybrid SACD. There's a certain truthfulness to this version that I find intoxicating. (and that comes from a guy who's never been a really big BB fan)

Also, although not hybrid, the SHM Japanese pressing of Steely Dan's Aja is the best version of that lp that I've ever heard. It beats out my original vinyl pressing and I really figured that wouldn't have been possible.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The MFSL re-master of The Beach Boys Pet Sounds is Hybrid SACD. There's a certain truthfulness to this version that I find intoxicating. (and that comes from a guy who's never been a really big BB fan)

I got the high-res audio multichannel DVD-Audio version of that .
[With the original Mono tracks included.] ...And the Stereo tracks with [HDCD] encoding.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ Bob, I have the same DVD-a.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Also, although not hybrid, the SHM Japanese pressing of Steely Dan's Aja is the best version of that lp that I've ever heard. It beats out my original vinyl pressing and I really figured that wouldn't have been possible.

Couldn't agree more..

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Re: SHM Steely Dan Aja

Here's what may be the ultimate testimonial:

My wife sat down with me and listened to the ENTIRE ALBUM without saying a word!:D

She was spellbound, and knows the album well. That listening session allowed me to pick up some other cool music and some gear!;)

Lee

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-a...15s2b-limited-edition-sacd-player-review.html

Hello: See my review above of a terrific SACD player. I note some amazing sounding Hybrid discs. My two favorites are the Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed, and In Search Of The Lost Chord.

All the Elton John's sound great, as well as the RCA Living Stereos. The Dylan series are magic too.

I like Hybrid SACD as they're more versatile, which for me is important. I'd like to slowly start building up my digital music library and some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Curently I only have 3 discs and they are:

Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon
Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms
Roxy Music: Avalon

In the general rock category, what Hybrid SACD's do you own and recommend that are easily available? My pocketbook won't allow me to go after OOP titles, so please keep that in mind.

audiobuff

May 14, 2012
Linn Selektons Vol.1
Best of Grove Note
Best of Jacinthia
All the krall SACD's
nora,s also

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have really enjoyed the ones coming out in the last 12-24 months from Analogue Productions...i just reserved a bunch in my Amazon folder. Consistently great stuff.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
---APO (Blues); excellent record label. Quality SOUND from their Hybrid SACDs. :b

Agree! I believe APO is Analogue Productions

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Yes sir, Analogue Productions Originals

From www.acousticsounds.com ------ distributor

And recorded at Blue Heaven Studios (as one of them)

And top people involved: Chad Kassem, Doug Sax, ...

Chicago ------Home of the Blues :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing