Hybrid SACD - What are some good ones?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I like Hybrid SACD as they're more versatile, which for me is important. I'd like to slowly start building up my digital music library and some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Curently I only have 3 discs and they are:

Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon
Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms
Roxy Music: Avalon

In the general rock category, what Hybrid SACD's do you own and recommend that are easily available? My pocketbook won't allow me to go after OOP titles, so please keep that in mind.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Analogue Productions Hoodoo Man Blues...ok, its not rock, but its darn good!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
John, in my signature, at the very bottom, on that last line; just click on it.

Then hit the SACD/Hi-Res section, right on your left (2nd from the top). :b

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
John,

The new Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here SACD has been getting rave reviews. Mine is in the mail to me now. Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc have the low prices on it. Amazon is a bit more, but the free shipping can offset most of the difference.

Lee

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
John:

They are not hybrid but I found the following SHM-SACDs to be outstanding:

Gentle Giant "Octopus"
Camel "The Snow Goose"
Wishbone Ash "Argus"
Traffic "John Barleycorn Must Die"
Black Sabbath "Master Of Reality"

The Gentle Giant and Black Sabbath are particularly notable. Unfortunately they are hideously expensive.

Ken Golden

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The Allman Brothers Band have two SACDs at low prices: Live at Fillmore East and Eat a Peach, each for under $20. The Stevie Ray Vaughan SACDs from MFSL are still in print too.

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
:D Thanks guys!

I've started to make a list with your suggestions, plus I've added some of my own that I looked at last night.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
Jazz At The Pawnshop 30th Anniversay
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi John,

FYI i have just ordered;
- Ella and Louis (BOTH FIM Ultra HD 32-bit and Analogue Productions SACD)
- Oscar Peterson We Get Requests (BOTH FIM Ultra HD and Analogue Productions SACD)
- Ella and Louis Again (Analogue Productions SACD and Mobile Fidelity Gold)

I will compare these and post impressions about FIM vs Analogue vs Mobile Fidelity...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John:

They are not hybrid but I found the following SHM-SACDs to be outstanding:

Gentle Giant "Octopus"
Camel "The Snow Goose"
Wishbone Ash "Argus"
Traffic "John Barleycorn Must Die"
Black Sabbath "Master Of Reality"

The Gentle Giant and Black Sabbath are particularly notable. Unfortunately they are hideously expensive.

Ken Golden

How expensive is "hideously expensive?"

mep

Apr 20, 2010
In the grand scheme of things, a mere pittance if they are really good.

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
For something "off the beaten trail", check out Cookie Morenco's Blue Coast Collection (Vol. I)... a fantastic recording of acoustic and vocal music. I've been patiently waiting for the new Vol. 2 SACD to be released (currently available as redbook, and high-res WAV or DSD downloads).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For something "off the beaten trail", check out Cookie Morenco's Blue Coast Collection (Vol. I)... a fantastic recording of acoustic and vocal music. I've been patiently waiting for the new Vol. 2 SACD to be released (currently available as redbook, and high-res WAV or DSD downloads).

coincidence...i just ordered that on amazon 2 days ago. look forward to listening to it.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

+1

blue coast records and Channel classics put out great sounding SACDs, the CC's arent definitive interperpretations by any strech but its sound wont rip the paint off the wall either :rolleyes:

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
Add to the list most any Patricia Barber or Norah Jones title, Modern Jazz Quartet, Alison Krauss/Union Station, Ray Brown, Rebecca Pidgeon... Lot's of others, Sophie Milman, etc.

--Bill

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just ordered the PF - WYWH disc from Amazon. Really looking forward to getting it and trying it out!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing