Ivor Tiefenbrun’s Idea; A Short Journey Into the Mind of a Great Man

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
Ivor Tiefenbrun is a genius. I don’t want to enumerate all of his contributions to our world of hi fi. I want to concentrate on one. It is a revolutionary idea; a brand new idea; never was seen before by the world. It seems like it is lost, meaning that, while we all use it all the time, the origin of the idea is lost and unappreciated. I want to correct this. I’ll explain, at the end of this essay, its significance in our modern hi fi systems. And like many great ideas, it is simple. All you need is the ability to see around corners. Ivor has this rare ability. You should understand that I’m not a “Linnie”. I’ve never owned a Linn product though I probably should have. Rather, I’m an appreciator of great ideas. They are not all that common.

Background
Turntables in the early seventies had achieved an impressive level of sophistication. All the classic performance indicators had been attacked by the designers and greatly improved; to the point where further improvements were becoming difficult. The prevalent view was all a turntable had to do is spin a record with speed accurately, quietly, and with isolation from its surroundings. All they had to do was sit there and do their job, unobserved, like a water heater. It was thought that the most important element in a hi fi system were speakers. No one expected a revolution in turntable design.

Ivor did not share this view. He thought that the most important element in a system was the signal source; the turntable, arm, and cartridge. This was a very controversial thought for which he was criticized. So he set out to prove his point. Thus, his Demonstration about which I am writing.

The Demonstration
Ivor, in his own inimitable way, pronounced that a turntable had a sound. “What”, the world exclaimed? Loudly it was pronounced that all a turntable had to be was unobserved, silent. What do mean “a sound”? Ivor explained that turntables had a sonic signature. This was completely beyond what people could relate to. “What are you talking about? Prove it.” He did.

The Demonstration Ivor invented was as simple as it was profound. It consisted of a good modern turntable, say a current production Thorens TD125, two good tone arms and cartridges (what kind doesn’t matter), an oscilloscope with dual channels, and a test record. The test record had a series of transients impressed at normal recorded levels. The interval between the transient bursts was one burst per 360 degrees of revolution. The turntable was configured with two tone arms placed such that the stylus tips were 180 degrees apart when they were playing the record. The scopes monitored the output of the arms, one arm per channel. The record was played by both arms simultaneously.

Because of the burst timing only one tone arm at a time had a groove signal to monitor. They would alternate as the burst passed first one tone arm and then the other. What was seen on the scopes was definitive. By the knowledge of the day, you would expect first one tone arm to produce a burst then half a revolution later the other would produce the burst as displayed on the scope channels. Simple. But that’s not all that happened. A short time after, say, the left tone arm produced the burst, the right tone arm would show a kind of ghost of the transient, delayed. Then ½ a revolution later the right tone arm produced the burst and the left tone arm showed a delayed ghost of the transient. The ghosts were not all that small. They were obvious. Where were the ghosts coming from? They were not on the record. This is the key point of the demonstration.

There was no other conclusion possible. The ghosts were a result of the force supplied by the record groove to move the stylus and the reaction to that force transferring energy to the vinyl. It’s an action/reaction situation. The reaction caused a pressure wave to travel across the record, through the vinyl, to be detected by the other cartridge and show up as a ghost of the original but delayed by the traverse time across the vinyl.

Then things got really interesting. The ghost wave encountered the edge of the record which represented a huge mechanical impedance change from the vinyl to open air. When this happens in either mechanical systems or electrical systems the energy is not absorbed but is reflected with little loss. Now the reflected wave re-traversed the record back to the original stylus where it was added to the original transient and displayed as a second generation ghost, delayed and reduced in amplitude.

But things do not end there. The ghost is now traveling in all directions in the vinyl hitting the record edges at various angles and being reflected in a variety of directions and time delays until it finally runs out of energy. All this is shown on the scope display. The result is the original transient burst, which would be expected to be clean, is, in fact added to the ghosts and is smeared. In other words a turntable signature is created. Ah Ivor, you are magnificent!

Just imagine how a real instrumental recording would behave with its huge variety of sounds and transients. A smeared mess (my words)!! The image of a record alive with ghost images bouncing around with no sensible time relationship to the original transients comes to mind. Indeed, a turntable has a signature. Are you convinced? Others were.

The Fall Out
It took a while for the significance of Ivor’s demonstration to sink in. One result is people started to pay attention to the LP12. It flat out sounded better than the competition and one of the reasons was the lack of signature and unsmeared transients. Ivor, quite simply, had a better idea, a new idea, and showed the world.

The world of turntable designers was turned upside down. Overnight their beautiful creations were obsolete. This was nothing to cry over – just a new challenge. Out came the drafting boards, materials manuals, and slide rules (yes, personal calculators were still a bit in the future) and the revolution started.

The way the problem of reflected energy was attacked was to figure out a way of absorbing the ghost energy before they could be reflected back to the stylus. New turntable designs started to show up. It’s interesting, but I don’t think these ideas were adopted by the Japanese makers. New manufacturers started to appear with designs entirely devoted to the ghost problem. Older makers, such as Thorens, ignored the revolution and fell by the wayside. Their stuff, good as it was, was still traditional and not good enough.

Some of the new makers exceeded the LP12 with very advanced energy absorbing technologies. Sota brought out their line of vacuum turntables with energy absorbing platters which were very effective. Center clamps, which were never part of the arsenal before Ivor, became de rigor with brands such as VPI, Oracle, and many others. The revolution is now complete all thanks to Ivor and his new idea.

So today, as we gaze at our modern turntable wonders, we can thank Ivor and his around the corner thinking for our incredible sound.

Sparky

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sparky-Interesting article and it will give the digital lovers/analog haters more ammunition to throw back at us. I'm still not clear how the LP-12 absorbed energy. It had an aluminum platter with a felt mat didn't it?

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
Sparky-Interesting article and it will give the digital lovers/analog haters more ammunition to throw back at us. I'm still not clear how the LP-12 absorbed energy. It had an aluminum platter with a felt mat didn't it?

HI mep,
Whew, I'm tired of writing. Why should we be concerned about people who don't have a clue (or quality ears).

To be honest, I don't know either. I've never owned an LP12. Maybe others can tell us. What I am sure of is the reaction of other turntable manufacturers and the development of energy absorbing technology.

Sparky

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Karma,

Excellent post. When I was still a student I was at record and hifi shop discussing Thorens versus Technics turntables and suddenly the owner introduced me an older guy with a single sentence - I must introduce you to Mr. X - he owns a Linn Sondek . And it was the beginning of a long audiophile friendship.

Do you remember the old Wireless World advertisement of an hand tuning an LP on top of a sharp pencil and the other hand handling the cartridge? The text was All we do is turning it as 33.33 (or something similar). I can not remember what was the brand anymore.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Micro,
Thanks. I gotta learn to be shorter. Probably won't happen.

That's great story. Lots of times, they can turn into student/mentor relationships to the benefit of both.

Sparky

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sparky, I was in the UK at the time of the Linn introduction, and I simply cannot remember your example. I'm not saying Ivor didn't believe in this theory, however, i have to agree with Mark, there is nothing intrinsic on the LP12 design that would seem to address this issue:(. ( BTW, I am a LP12 owner and have been for over 25 years). The spring suspension is nothing new, the AR had this design years before the LP12, the platter has no obvious absorbing aspects ( nor for that matter does the felt mat) and the plinth etc, would be the same. Like I said in my thread on the LP12, I do think that the claim to fame was a) the belt drive superiority, b) the accuracy of the machining of all parts and c) the speed accuracy of the various motor controls..starting at the Nirvana and ending now with the Radikal. None of these things seems to minimize the 'ghost' impact that you are bringing to our attention:confused:.
Where did you get this demonstration example that you are attributing to Ivor?
Again, I'm not saying he didn't do this, but I have never heard of this experiment being attributed to him.:confused:

OTOH, I do agree that Ivor is a genius, if in no other aspect than marketing his product and being the first to realize that the front end was the driving force in the overall sound quality of one's system.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
HI mep,
Whew, I'm tired of writing. Why should we be concerned about people who don't have a clue (or quality ears).

To be honest, I don't know either. I've never owned an LP12. Maybe others can tell us. What I am sure of is the reaction of other turntable manufacturers and the development of energy absorbing technology.

Sparky

Maybe it didn't even with the mat. I had a Linn Valhalla as did a friend and in the end, the Itok was bright and the Linn sounded like the orchestra was playing musical chairs.

PMJI but the most important contribution that Linn made was in the drive mechanism. The low torque, some called toy motor coupled with the antistatic guard (whose importance in producing a slight drag and stabilizing the platter speed is what Bill Firebaugh brought to his WTA later). BTW, the VPI SDS made a large improvement in the sound of the Linn too.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
Sparky, I was in the UK at the time of the Linn introduction, and I simply cannot remember your example. I'm not saying Ivor didn't believe in this theory, however, i have to agree with Mark, there is nothing intrinsic on the LP12 design that would seem to address this issue:(. ( BTW, I am a LP12 owner and have been for over 25 years). The spring suspension is nothing new, the AR had this design years before the LP12, the platter has no obvious absorbing aspects ( nor for that matter does the felt mat) and the plinth etc, would be the same. Like I said in my thread on the LP12, I do think that the claim to fame was a) the belt drive superiority, b) the accuracy of the machining of all parts and c) the speed accuracy of the various motor controls..starting at the Nirvana and ending now with the Radikal. None of these things seems to minimize the 'ghost' impact that you are bringing to our attention:confused:.
Where did you get this demonstration example that you are attributing to Ivor?
Again, I'm not saying he didn't do this, but I have never heard of this experiment being attributed to him.:confused:

OTOH, I do agree that Ivor is a genius, if in no other aspect than marketing his product and being the first to realize that the front end was the driving force in the overall sound quality of one's system.

HI All,
All of this denial coming from knowledgeable audiophiles and Linnies to boot, and Ivor's known self-promoting personality, is starting to make for a true mystery.

No Regrets, posting on the the other current Linn thread on this site at:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?p=87023&page=9#post87023

in post # 78, has saved my sanity by remembering Ivor's demonstration. He is the only one who remembers so far. But one is a hell of a lot better than none. Thank you No Regrets.

DaveyF, I don't remember which magazine published Ivor's demonstration. It could have been High Fidelity, Audio, or Hi Fi and Stereo Review. I subscribed to all three. It could have appeared in all three. I don't think it was Stereophile because it was still just a small out rider rag and I had never seen one. Was Absolute Sound even publishing yet in 1972? No matter, I did not subscribe until a decade later though I was buying off the news stands pretty regularly.

I have none of these magazines in my possession now. I remember thinking, when I dumped my entire archive, will I be sorry? My collections went back into the middle 1960's. Well, there have been several times in the years since that I needed those mags and I was sorry. This is one of those times. It's why libraries rarely cull their archives. I can assure you that since I started my second archive, consisting of Stereophile and Absolute Sound, it has not been culled and is relatively complete going back to 1986. Myles, I even have your original Audiophile Voice and subsequent volumes. That was a very impressive effort.

I wish Stereophile were still centered in Santa Fe. At that time I had many good contacts with the magazine and I could have called John Atkenson, or J. Gorden Holt directly. We were all living in the same area and listened together. But, things have changed. However, I still have contact with Dick Olsher. I will try to get hold of him. He is now retired and hard to find.

Let's let this thread go a little longer and see who chimes in. Then we can explore this mystery. It IS A MYSTERY.

Sparky

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
HI All,
Myles, I even have your original Audiophile Voice and subsequent volumes. That was a very impressive effort.

Thank you :) One thing that I always sticks with me about my AV days was how primitive and clumsy the computers and software were for laying out magazines back then :( Not only that, but post-script printers were rare and expensive; we finally had to "rent" a PS printer to print out the magazine for proofing. It took all day to print out 176 pages :( But we were one of the first magazines around then that went directly from disc (it was at least 20 or 30 floppies that we sent to the printer back then) to film. That was revolutionary in its day.

I wish Stereophile were still centered in Santa Fe. At that time I had many good contacts with the magazine and I could have called John Atkenson, or J. Gorden Holt directly. We were all living in the same area and listened together. But, things have changed. However, I still have contact with Dick Olsher. I will try to get hold of him. He is now retired and hard to find.

Let's let this thread go a little longer and see who chimes in. Then we can explore this mystery. It IS A MYSTERY.

Sparky

Dick is as far as I know, still writing for TAS (I even think ran into him at CES). Perhaps you can reach him through their website!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ivor Tiefenbrun is a genius. (...) The world of turntable designers was turned upside down. (...) So today, as we gaze at our modern turntable wonders, we can thank Ivor and his around the corner thinking for our incredible sound.
Sparky

Please allow me to summarize your very interesting post in these three key points. We should remember that prior to Ivor, turntables, except for the acoustic feedback that was dealt with a compliant suspension, did not have a sound.

Supported by the majority of British audio press, the Linn Sondek established as a reference. For some reason, some years later, it was the turntable Peter Moncrieff targeted in the Oracle review published in IAR issue 5 - based on impulse response of the damped platter he established that the Oracle was 634 times better than the LP12! Great days!

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI micro,
I don't give a flip one way or the other for Linn's implementations. That was not the point of my original post. After all, I chose to NOT buy a LP12. I was only writing about the concept. There is a big difference between concept and implementation.

And while I do have an Oracle Delphi V, I never trusted Mr. Moncrieff's views and I would not buy anything based upon them. It seemed to me that he was as likely to push snake oil as honesty. So, I'm glad he liked the Oracle but I'll trust my own ears.

Sparky

mmakshak

May 1, 2011
S.F. Bay Area
I'm not sure this adds to the theory of Ivor, but does to some of the history of the LP12. I got into reproduced music in a meaningful way due to the magazine "Hi-Fi Answers, in the late 70's and early 80's. Some of its contributors were Jimmy Hughes, Alvin Gold, David Prakal, and Keith Howard(these are the ones I remember). This magazine was the one that introduced me to the idea that turntables had a sound, and that you can't improve upon the signal with components further down from the source. This idea worked in real life, but it was a really hard sell to people I talked to. They thought that the speaker made the sound, and that is where to start. I never owned the Linn back then, but I owned an early Oracle I, and an Ariston rd 11e with Grace 707 arm. I could hear what direct-drives did to the music, just like I could hear what early digital did to the music. This magazine got it's main idea from Ivor, but didn't necessarily push just Linn products(no amplifier products were produced by Linn back then.). TAS was recommending products that were expensive, and many times they dropped the recommendation by the next issue(very bad for the pocketbook). Stereophile was not used much by me then. The Audio Critic was hard to find. They had a publication that favored cheap products(I forget the name.), but I didn't trust their recommendations at that time. The high-end stores carried a lot of esoteric gear, but the chain stereo stores did not. Based on this, I think the idea that turntables had a sound was a radik(for you Ivor)al one.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm not sure this adds to the theory of Ivor, but does to some of the history of the LP12. I got into reproduced music in a meaningful way due to the magazine "Hi-Fi Answers, in the late 70's and early 80's. Some of its contributors were Jimmy Hughes, Alvin Gold, David Prakal, and Keith Howard(these are the ones I remember). This magazine was the one that introduced me to the idea that turntables had a sound, and that you can't improve upon the signal with components further down from the source. This idea worked in real life, but it was a really hard sell to people I talked to. They thought that the speaker made the sound, and that is where to start. I never owned the Linn back then, but I owned an early Oracle I, and an Ariston rd 11e with Grace 707 arm. I could hear what direct-drives did to the music, just like I could hear what early digital did to the music. This magazine got it's main idea from Ivor, but didn't necessarily push just Linn products(no amplifier products were produced by Linn back then.). TAS was recommending products that were expensive, and many times they dropped the recommendation by the next issue(very bad for the pocketbook). Stereophile was not used much by me then. The Audio Critic was hard to find. They had a publication that favored cheap products(I forget the name.), but I didn't trust their recommendations at that time. The high-end stores carried a lot of esoteric gear, but the chain stereo stores did not. Based on this, I think the idea that turntables had a sound was a radik(for you Ivor)al one.

Sensible Sound?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Interesting thread! - as a previous owner of both an Axis and an LP12 (among other fine Linn gear like the Itok Integrated) I have always admired Linn`s approach (should I include Naim here as well) as a "liberal" perspective to HiEnd for many years.

I support some lines above where no radical technology was involved in the LP12 design except of a good synergy of parts and build quality, music thru a Linn (or a Naim) system is always fluid, non-aggressive and ..well.."musical" (I know some hate this word, sometimes me included on Fridays) - source first? partialy agree - I am more a supporter of system synergy among components and room interactions.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
....... and the development of energy absorbing technology.
My old Dual TT has an aluminum platter. I've used Duct Seal (like clay, stays soft) on underside of platter and inside of hollow plinth with good results.

I think it absorbs energy and attenuates resonance.

I don't know of any manufacturer doing the same through.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Had a great opportunity of a lifetime last night when I was invited by the local importer to a presentation by Linn founder Ivor Tiefenbrun. A very passionate music lover, he 'taught' us how to listen in his demo, with his wit, humor and knowledge, it was a night to remember. I have never owned an LP12 but I have heard impressive music from it a few times. It's on my wish list. :)

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1857.jpg DSCN1859.jpg

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
So today, as we gaze at our modern turntable wonders, we can thank Ivor and his around the corner thinking for our incredible sound.

"Incredible sound" ... well, that's a matter of perspective.

Although I appreciate Linn & the LP12 historical influence, I'm not nearly as convinced it was as influential a product as it's reputation warrants. In fact, moons ago, in a direct comparison, it didn't take long to realize that the 12 was a rather compromised affair. As an example, if you compare an early LP12 to my Source, then a direct Scottish competitor, the LP12 looked and sounds like the compromised design that it actually was. In fact, past the rather conventional design, if you consider recent upgraded components, such as the Keel or Radical DC motor upgrades, these two items were considered "stock" by certain competitors well prior to Linn.

To my ears, although it had decent noise floor characteristics because of a very good bearing, the LP12 was very much a compromised sounding player, especially in terms of dynamic expression and especially it's rather indistinct soundstage accuracy. I preferred the Ariston, SOTA, and Alphason, and to a lesser extent, the Xerxes and Heybrook.

I guess, I was never convinced to be a true Linnie, I certainly didn't buy into Ivor's truly silly tunedem religion, and I realized the 12's overall design was a compromised affair in direct comparison to others. Yeah, it was better than a Fons, or arguably a Thorens, but I never really considered it a state of the art design. In fact, the LP12 was so obviously compromised compared to others, it spawned third party companies (PT, OL, Funk) which provided "upgrades" moons prior to the official Linn upgrades.

So ... well ... to a large degree, the LP12 rather untouchable reputation (plus the obvious hypocrisy) always bothered me.

That said, I will admit that the latest greatest LP12 is indeed a very nice sounding hi-end alternative, and perhaps they've taken this type design as far as it can go(*), but I also guess that because I've considered the 12 an over-rated, over-hyped, over-reputed design for such a long time, and the fact that the upgrades arrived as some sort of revelation at a premium cost ... I'm not convinced of Ivor true "genius".

(*) I think the next logical step with the LP12 is a system to direct couple the LP to the platter via some sort of clamping system, and/or perhaps a change of materials to compliment the proper transfer of "ghosts". With pre-Keel / Radical 12's, coupling the LP represented an obvious compromise; the soundstage would improve at the cost of added grain (noise) and a much sharper tonal balance which veered the sound well towards brightness. However, in order to couple the LP to ANY platter, the 'table must exhibit a very low noise floor, and it must dissipate or sink energy rather quickly ... two specific items in which the 12 never really excelled, until perhaps now ... hence the "next logical" step.

tb1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing