Ivor Tiefenbrun’s Idea; A Short Journey Into the Mind of a Great Man

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI TBone,
I appreciate your input. But yours is only opinion. And it's worth about that much. The Ivor experiment I wrote about had the beauty of simplicity and definitive, objective results. So, hang your hat where you will, Ivor's idea was brilliant.

Sparky

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
HI TBone,
I appreciate your input. But yours is only opinion. And it's worth about that much. The Ivor experiment I wrote about had the beauty of simplicity and definitive, objective results. So, hang your hat where you will, Ivor's idea was brilliant.
Sparky

Perhaps just an opinion, but unlike many without the necessary experience, mine is at the very least ... "educated".

Ivor's only "genius" is his marketing approach, because the build quality of the LP12 itself has rarely been considered a work of "genius" within my audiophile circles, and to a major degree it has proven just that based on his latest upgrades (Keel/Radikal) ... which again, place the 12 into yet another catch-up position to the rest of the field, some decades old.

A "proud but realistic" Linn owner.
tb1

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Were Linn not also the first to use spikes on loudspeakers and also to advocate single speaker dem rooms? The LP12 was not the only good idea to come out of the Tiefenbrun brain. Aye, it's good to be Scottish sometimes, the rest of the time we're only known for selling drink, haggis, having poor dress sense (a skirt on a man??) and wet weather. I was at the recent 40th anniversary bash at Linn HQ and while their general house sound is not quite for me it was a very hospitable and enjoyable day out.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sencha, did you happen to hear the "Highland Park" 40th anniv edition LP12. I have been told that the plinth smells so much of the whiskey that after awhile the music just seems to flow a LOT better and the price recedes into insignificance. Smart lot, you Scots:D.

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
Please excuse my late entry to this thread. The ad with a record on a pencil and a handheld cartridge said, "All we want to do. But perfectly." IIRC,it was regarding a Garrard Zero 100. Lastly, in the mid-80's I wanted an LP12 badly but could not afford it. I gave our daughter the middle name
Linn... I explained recently that if it were happening now her name could be Nottingham!:)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Were Linn not also the first to use spikes on loudspeakers and also to advocate single speaker dem rooms? The LP12 was not the only good idea to come out of the Tiefenbrun brain. Aye, it's good to be Scottish sometimes, the rest of the time we're only known for selling drink, haggis, having poor dress sense (a skirt on a man??) and wet weather. I was at the recent 40th anniversary bash at Linn HQ and while their general house sound is not quite for me it was a very hospitable and enjoyable day out.

not to put too a fine point on it but Ivor tiefenbrun is the product of Austrian parents, not scot.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Davey, Didn't get any smell from the plinths but they sure were gorgeous. I asked if there were any for sale but was told they were all made/kept for the anniversary LP12's.

Puro, I didn't know Mr T's parentage was Austrian, he does seem to be quite proud of his 'Scottishness' though and I believe has a 'Clyde built' sticker put on his equipment. I only own a quite old but up to date LP12 which has no such sticker. Even though I don't buy into their house sound it's pleasing to see someone (anyone in my book irrespective in nationality) make a success out of original thinking especially for all of those years and in a climate of lesser and lesser people wanting to spend their hard earned in what now seems to be a dwindling hobby. So good luck to him! Who knows, your own ancestry maybe traced back to over here as well but you are welcome to claim to be an American.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Lastly, in the mid-80's I wanted an LP12 badly but could not afford it. I gave our daughter the middle name
Linn

As true a fan as I've ever read ... perhaps under the same circumstances, I should have called my daughter Oracle ... but I swallowed the red pill instead.

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
Interestingly enough, it was a friend's Oracle that sounded better than the Linn that let me know I didn't need a Linn.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing