Trinnov ST2

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
The volume control on the trinnov is digital. The volume level information is contained in the digital signal the Trinnov sends to the downstream DAC, so the downstream DAC and the subs using the DAC in the trinnov will keep their volume levels in synch. The only thing I cannot do is use an analog 2 channel tube preamp downstream in this setup. The only way to keep the tubes in the chain is to get a 2nd 2 channel analog preamp for the subs, play the Trinnov at unity gain and control the two preamps with a macro on programmable remote control that keeps things in synch. At some point I thought about doing this, but I now think it is too much of a hassle, so I will first evaluate the Trinnov using the digital volume control, and second with my MCH analog preamp (six shooter) downstream, and see what works best. By the way if you want an analog volume control, you can get two passive placette preamps - they can be chained together and do 4 channel volume control for your mains and subs. Apparently this is a very transparent solution, but not cheap, especially if you need balanced.

Interesting, I didn't realize the digital output would be attenuated too. But I realize that doesn't help me b/c I was thinking of a way to use my regular preamp and I can't without doing the analog in to the Trinnov. But it still sounds really good this way so I plan on keeping it this way at least for now. If the Trinnov had a better way of controlling the volume I'd consider it (i.e. a bluetooth remote). I know there is an IR volume control option for $230 and a usb volume knob for 80 bucks so there are options available. Six shooter sounds like an interesting option but again I'm not sure there's a good reason for me to change anything here.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
It looks like the 6shooter has to be used with a Theta processor so it's not an option for me...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Interesting, I didn't realize the digital output would be attenuated too. But I realize that doesn't help me b/c I was thinking of a way to use my regular preamp and I can't without doing the analog in to the Trinnov. But it still sounds really good this way so I plan on keeping it this way at least for now. If the Trinnov had a better way of controlling the volume I'd consider it (i.e. a bluetooth remote). I know there is an IR volume control option for $230 and a usb volume knob for 80 bucks so there are options available. Six shooter sounds like an interesting option but again I'm not sure there's a good reason for me to change anything here.

I don't understand. If you have an upstream (i.e. before the Trinnov) analog preamp, why are you not using this preamp for volume control and play the trinnov at unity gain?

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
That IS what I am doing. I was just thinking if there was a way to have my preamp as the last step in the chain before active speakers. None that I can think of. Even though I can't tell a difference in this situation I'd prefer to use the least number of components/conversions and still have the convenience of my remote-controlled preamp.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
We are pretty much at the precipice of the digital revolution.

Analog volume controls are losing their flavors ... well, you know, the evolutionary battles.

I'm not sure they are losing their flavour, just not the only tasty flavour any more.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
That IS what I am doing. I was just thinking if there was a way to have my preamp as the last step in the chain before active speakers. None that I can think of. Even though I can't tell a difference in this situation I'd prefer to use the least number of components/conversions and still have the convenience of my remote-controlled preamp.

Got it. I thought I had read you were concerned about doing volume control in the digital domain, but you are in fact doing it in the analog domain. In your setup, I would not be too concerned about have the pre before the trinnov instead of behind. You do the same number of conversions and have analog volume control in both setups.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
Got it. I thought I had read you were concerned about doing volume control in the digital domain, but you are in fact doing it in the analog domain. In your setup, I would not be too concerned about have the pre before the trinnov instead of behind. You do the same number of conversions and have analog volume control in both setups.

Well actually, if I could have the Trinnov before the preamp I'd just do cdp into Trinnov and out to preamp, getting rid of my other dac, and there would be no a to d conversion (other than for analog sources).

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
Hey edorr, I see by the hostile responses to your posts on the "other site" that things haven't changed over there, lol. same jerks, different day.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hey edorr, I see by the hostile responses to your posts on the "other site" that things haven't changed over there, lol. same jerks, different day.

"Other site", where? :b

* I thought we were the only one. ... You know ... that makes total sense, the best! :b

** Quick & easy question:
Does the Best mean "Making Total Sense"?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Well actually, if I could have the Trinnov before the preamp I'd just do cdp into Trinnov and out to preamp, getting rid of my other dac, and there would be no a to d conversion (other than for analog sources).

Have you tried bypassing your preamp for digital sources? You can run your CDP digital into the trinnov and using the trinnov digital volume control? Alternatively, not sure what DAC level you have, but you can also try using the trinnov DACs only for subs, and your own DAC on the digital out of the Trinnov. Lots of options.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
On the topic of processors with digitial outputs

If you were clever with electronics you could likely hack the Meridian G68 processor. I am 90% sure the output format is not straight SPDIF but some proprietary Meridian format. I did try once hooking up a DAC to a G68 output but it didn't work so that's why I think it is some proprietary format. It would be a case of rearranging the 0s and 1s...Meridian has 24/96 digital outs on its processors.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If you were clever with electronics you could likely hack the Meridian G68 processor. I am 90% sure the output format is not straight SPDIF but some proprietary Meridian format. I did try once hooking up a DAC to a G68 output but it didn't work so that's why I think it is some proprietary format. It would be a case of rearranging the 0s and 1s...Meridian has 24/96 digital outs on its processors.

It is encrypted LPCM to comply with HDMI licensing terms.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal, yes - if the DAC and analog output stage are of equal quality I would be biased against a transport with outboard DAC over S/PDIF and get the integrated player. The reason being that sending bits over a cable using an S/PDIF interface will have more degradation than sending the same bits over the data bus internal to a player. The only reason to get an outboard DAC is if its BETTER than the onboard DAC.
Even if you were following it with an A/D/A conversion?

Second, - and I know you disagree on this - for SACD the modded Oppo digital transport would need an DSD to PCM conversion, whereas the ud9004 will do source direct (no conversion). In my experience source direct always beats converted to PCM.
Even if you were following it with an A/D/A conversion?

What will sound best is all pure speculation and can only be established empircally, but my assumptions are not entirely unreasonable IMO.
Agreed. ;-)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

It is encrypted LPCM to comply with HDMI licensing terms.

It is encrypted for a number of HD formats but, if you output only at 44.1 or 48, it is unencrypted.

Members online

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing