Trinnov ST2

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No it is not ed. Speak with the guys at Trinnov. These DACs have been designed by some leading designer and appear to be pretty good (read the 6moon review also). Not sure if they are the same DACs used in the ADA - OEM boxes. Either way, with digital outs you can compare the quality of their DACs with any DAC of your choice.

Thanks edorr. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A very simple question for the pro experts ...

Now, that very simple question.

What's Best? Trinnov or TacT? ... Or Audyssey, or JBL Synthesis? ... ARC? ... Others?

See, I told you that it would be a very simple question. :b

* And of course, all of the above, in their very best and latest implementations.
... Top flavors (versions).

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Now, that very simple question.

What's Best? Trinnov or TacT? ... Or Audyssey, or JBL Synthesis? ... ARC? ... Others?

See, I told you that it would be a very simple question. :b

* And of course, all of the above, in their very best and latest implementations.
... Top flavors (versions).

In most cases it will boil down to the system the calibrator (which can be the owner/enthusiast) spends the most time with in setup and verification. I'd say Audyssey XT32 with the pro kit is the only version that really can compare to the other systems, and offers much less flexibility. In my experience ARC does a good job of being a little less likely to get poor results, but the others offer quite a bit more flexibility... along with more rope to hang yourself with. :p

The Trinnov has some unique capabilities in its "re-mapping" of the discrete soundtrack to the actual deployment of speakers, with some very cool applications for additional surround speakers and width channels.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
As Mark stated, it depends on how much you value simplicity, cost, availability and technical support. I have the Anthem with ARC setup and there was no better upgrade for my ht than the ARC add-on for very little additional money. Now it may not have the power and tweakability of the other products but it's automagic setup worked really well for me. I'm still debating whether it's worth the additional money for a multi-channel version of the Trinnov but the issue for me is complicated more by the hidden wiring in my system than the $$ involved.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In most cases it will boil down to the system the calibrator (which can be the owner/enthusiast) spends the most time with in setup and verification. I'd say Audyssey XT32 with the pro kit is the only version that really can compare to the other systems, and offers much less flexibility. In my experience ARC does a good job of being a little less likely to get poor results, but the others offer quite a bit more flexibility... along with more rope to hang yourself with. :p

The Trinnov has some unique capabilities in its "re-mapping" of the discrete soundtrack to the actual deployment of speakers, with some very cool applications for additional surround speakers and width channels.

There! That is an excellent point! :b

And I'm also with ya regarding Audyssey MultEQ XT32, the Pro version with the Audyssey Pro kit.

As for TacT, Trinnov, ARC, JBL Synthesis; I just don't have enough experience (concrete & theoritic), to truly form a valid & counting opinion at this point in time ...

I appreciate your smart reply Mark.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Well put. I recently participated in the setup and demonstration of yet another semi-pro EQ system in which we relied greatly on a VNC link with the company tech. I was asked if I was planning to review it. Frankly, I cannot say. For the vast majority of users, all these (with the exception of ARC/Audyssey) are beyond the resources, financial and personal, that they are willing to invest. Automatic and in-built functions, like ARC/Audyssey, may not be as powerful but they are not intimidating to most. This creates a gap between those two classes of products and users.

Of course, folks here are not representative of the typical high-end user but I wonder if it should not be encumbent on Trinnov, Dirac, DEQX, etc. to develop more friendly (i.e., with more hand-holding) front-ends if they want to get more market penetration. Trinnov almost did that with the Sherwood R-972 but it was a bit too dumbed down.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Kal, if I may sir.

-> Perhaps you can add your MusicInTheRound Blog web address in your sig. :b

Yeah Kal, create a nice signature for yourself.
And it's cool and helpful too for the others ...
- It tells a bit about you, what you believe, and where you like to hang around (Stereophile). :cool:

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Casablanca IIIHD once the Dirac Live upgrade is added. That will represent an integrated AV processor and a powerful room EQ under the same roof, and if what I've heard of the U/I is correct, it will be as easy to run as Audyssey.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Casablanca IIIHD once the Dirac Live upgrade is added. That will represent an integrated AV processor and a powerful room EQ under the same roof, and if what I've heard of the U/I is correct, it will be as easy to run as Audyssey.

Given how long it took Theta to add HDMI, no telling how long this might take.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal, if I may sir.

-> Perhaps you can add your MusicInTheRound Blog web address in your sig. :b

Yeah Kal, create a nice signature for yourself.
And it's cool and helpful too for the others ...
- It tells a bit about you, what you believe, and where you like to hang around (Stereophile). :cool:

I don't blog.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Hi Roger,

Can you please tell us more, or perhaps provide some useful links?

Thank you & Best,
Bob

P.S. Real happy to see you around. :b

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Circumstances are different.

I loved my CB but the numbers I was given to upgrade to HDMI were $10,000 plus whatever DRC is going to cost.

And you are correct. There is no guarantee: that it will take as long (what is the current guess for availability) or that it will be any good.

I hope it is soon and awesome. I'm still in the market for a great SSP with up to date room correction technology.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I loved my CB but the numbers I was given to upgrade to HDMI were $10,000 plus whatever DRC is going to cost.

And you are correct. There is no guarantee: that it will take as long (what is the current guess for availability) or that it will be any good.

I hope it is soon and awesome. I'm still in the market for a great SSP with up to date room correction technology.

I believe Theta has announced June of this year. However, this is not just Dirac, but also on upgrade of the DSP processing engine from 48/24 to 96/24 or 192/24. The upgrade will be delivered through a field installable new board - pricing will be $4,000 for CBIII HD owners. It all strikes me as a fairly significant piece of engineering, so seeing is believing. There is a lot of excitement on the forums about this project though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing