RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
For the AVS-challenged, Bob.

PNCD

Feb 21, 2012
Very interesting thread.

The ST2 seems more explicitly computer-based than some of the other consumer products. In theory, that might be a good thing in terms of flexible upgrading rather than replacing.
Then I read this on the ST2 Options page: The ST2 HiFi includes an Optimizer 4 bundle with no possible software upgrade.

The other concern that I have is the question of support for higher than 24/96 data rates.
The High Performance Audio section on the Specs page reads: Resolution / Sampling Rate 24 bits/96 kHz – 192kHz ready
The Processing Section on the same page reads: 4 channels at 96 kHz

Does anyone have any insight into upgrading and support for high data rates?

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Very interesting thread.

The ST2 seems more explicitly computer-based than some of the other consumer products. In theory, that might be a good thing in terms of flexible upgrading rather than replacing.
Then I read this on the ST2 Options page: The ST2 HiFi includes an Optimizer 4 bundle with no possible software upgrade.

The other concern that I have is the question of support for higher than 24/96 data rates.
The High Performance Audio section on the Specs page reads: Resolution / Sampling Rate 24 bits/96 kHz – 192kHz ready
The Processing Section on the same page reads: 4 channels at 96 kHz

Does anyone have any insight into upgrading and support for high data rates?
Enabling 24/192 is in Trinnov's "to do" queue, but no ECD that I'm aware of. The ST-2 PRO/HiFi are essentially computers, with remote GUI via VNC.

PNCD

Feb 21, 2012
RUR, do you have any insight into upgrading? I can imagine that the hardware is fixed but what of firmware and software?
Their statement of no possible software upgrade, if true (they wrote it!), it would stop me cold from buying the product when all these digital products are dependent on software and firmware.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
RUR, do you have any insight into upgrading? I can imagine that the hardware is fixed but what of firmware and software?
Their statement of no possible software upgrade, if true (they wrote it!), it would stop me cold from buying the product when all these digital products are dependent on software and firmware.
Hi PNCD,

I've been advised by the US Distributor that the software is upgradable, so I don't know quite what to make of that statement - it's completely at odds with the superb service and support I've received. If you'll provide a link to it, I'll ring him up for clarification.

/Ken

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
They are not excluding bug fixes or updates to such things as speaker config options (mappings) or any other tweaks they may wish to offer down the road. The Trinnov software is licensed. Even though it runs on a PC and could theoretically talk to other of their hardware platforms with different channel configurations (8, 16), they are saying that the this license to this version of software cannot be expanded (upgraded, transferred). It should be thought of as a self-contained unit.

PNCD

Feb 21, 2012
Thank you, Roger.
I understand you to be saying that the issue is an upgrading of the software license to alternate systems but that the software for this system will be upgradeable and upgraded from time to time.
I could not imagine paying thousands of dollars for an software applications that is frozen in time!
Personally, I will wait and see what upgrades they do provide over the next year or so.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Sorry for the delay, but folks in La France had to be contacted...

The online policy posted by Trinnov's web manager was in error and they extend their thanks for pointing it out.

The correct policy is now reflected on line: "The ST2 HiFi includes an Optimizer 4 bundle. Software upgrades can be purchased so the unit can always access new implemented features."

http://www.trinnov.com/products/high-end/st2-hifi/options-st2-hifi/?lang=en_us

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That Trinnov stuff (firmware, software, hardware, updates, upgrades, licensing, ...) is confusing.

Plus you need to be technically informed to set it up properly.
Without reading and knowledge, Trinnov ain't much help. No?

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
That Trinnov stuff (firmware, software, hardware, updates, upgrades, licensing, ...) is confusing.

Plus you need to be technically informed to set it up properly.
Without reading and knowledge, Trinnov ain't much help. No?

One could say the same about all digital room correction, even Audyssey. Best results will come from those who understand room acoustics, speaker/sub/room/listener positional interaction and EQ. But I agree that Trinnov is not a 'beginner' system - it's designed for implementation by a knowledgeable person, and I think at the price point, that should be a given to get maximum value from the investment.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks Nyal.

Still, Audyssey in most products is automatic, without manual adjustments
(except for the Pro version, but even there not at all that complex).
You just need to read the Audyssey Setup Guide.

And then you have the true audio adventurers (me), the professionals you can hire (for money trade), and/or a combination of these two.

Trinnov Optimizer as implemented in the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 A/V Receiver ain't that bad either if you follow the main thread over at AVS.

TacT is more 'manually adjust' sophisticated, but easier also to screw up if you don't know what to do exactly, and don't use some indispensable tools. ...As I was told by people in the know before.

But here, Trinnov ST-2, is truly worth exploring, in my sincere opinion.
And I don't mind taking the time to understand, and to 'spy' down further its crevasses. :b

Last edited:

Curt

Feb 2, 2012
Trinnov ST series

Thanks to everyone here for your interest in Trinnov's ST-2 series of correction systems. Here's a few data points that may be useful:

• The ST-2 series shares software in common with all Trinnov products. Since the first release in 2005, there has been and will continue to be significant software developments in the measurement system, reporting, and in the user functionality. Trinnov's principal work product is engineering and development. Our customers make an investment in a “performance relationship” with Trinnov, and the ability to have significant software updates has always been a part of that. Version history: ver 1 - 2005, ver 2, 2008, ver 3 in 2010. Currently we’re on ver 3.4.6.

• The ST-2 is the second stereo hardware platform, the first- ST, was introduced in early 2009. The ST-2 shares the same Trinnov converters and AES digital modules as the current MC multi-channel series.

• The ST-2 HiFi shares Trinnov hardware and software in common with our ST-2 Pro and MC , with the added enhancements of unbalanced analog/RCA and digital/SPDIF connectivity, as well as a user interface that simplifies configuring for use.

• All Trinnov systems may be updated to the latest software via the Internet in usually 10-20 minutes. Some customers never update, others who want the latest enhancements update yearly, or take an update that specifically suits their needs, such as control interface enhancement.

Trinnov systems, while complicated with seemingly unlimited options for correcting the loudspeaker/room listening system, are very straightforward to run. Users who become accustomed to the software gain powerful insights to their systems and avail themselves of many ways to find incremental improvements. If one is familiar with correction, then the transition can be quick. If you have no experience, then your efforts will be much more productive with the help of a professional. Professional help is most useful in helping a novice interpret the graphs- which include amplitude, phase, impulse, and group delay. From these, it's easy to identify both correction settings and where improvements in the speaker/placement and room/room tuning can be made.

If you would like some idea of what is possible, you can visit www.trinnov.com for more details. Or you can have a look at the user notes for the Sherwood R972. It's Trinnov simplified, as it has only fixed parameters and no graph, no updating, etc. www.cahoyt.com/trinnov/R972trinnov.pdf.

Cheers,

Curt

Feb 2, 2012
Listening Opportunity Weekend of June 1-3

For those of you in Southern California looking for an opportunity to check out the Trinnov ST2- we'll be at THE Show. There will be an opportunity to listen, as well as have a look at the software and learn more about the system. We'll be in the Atrium, Room 327.

Cheers,

bbsm15vnf

Mar 9, 2015
Hi, all!

I'm the owner of the Tirinnov Ametyst and I like it!
Please feel free to ask any questions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing