Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Trinnov ST2

Trinnov ST2

Hi all, I haven't been around these parts for a while - job, life, kids keep me busy.

Anyone have experience with the Trinnov ST2? I have a loaner unit right now and am playing around with it for 2 channel (with 2 subs blended in). I have a dedicated Rives room and had Adam Pelz come up and set up the front pair of Fathom F113s to work with my mains and it sounds pretty darn good. I read the review of the ST2-hifi at 6moons and it sounded like an interesting product that might give me that last few percent.

I did a number of bypass tests with the ST2 (pro version which is the same as hifi version with different case and connectors) and it is indeed transparent - I couldn't tell when it was in or out of the loop.

I'm hoping to get a bit more done with it over the next week or so. I did speak to Curt at Trinnov in California and he really knows his way around this unit. If I do buy one I'll definitely pay him as a consultant (he can tune it via vpn over the internet) to optimize it.

Banned
    I have not played with it but sure would be interested in your feedback!

I have owned one from the beginning, perhaps the first customer in the US to use one in a consumer setting. It helps that I am local to the US rep, who by the way is both knowledgeable and supremely helpful. I love it; I happen to have Audyssey in my Denon AVP-A1 (used only for watching movies). I keep the Trinnov in the loop between my transport and Boulder DAC. FWIW, I also happen to play SACDs and CDs on an Esoteric UX1L and SDR4000S Pro and can compare the effectiveness and negatives of the ST2 in a side by side comparison. I would say that for sure the focus, depth and timbre show improvements with the Trinnov in the loop. The technology and engineering of the ST2 seem to set it apart from other approaches to this area of room-source equalization.

PM me for more details. I have had the unit for over one year now. If I could get a digital in for multichannel from movies, I would consider using a multichannel Trinnov, too.

William

Asher, I'm not too far behind you and Curt's coming by tomorrow to drop off an ST2 Pro for audition. I'm already using room correction in a 2.2 system via a TacT 2.2XP, but the Trinnov adds a number of features which I find appealing - phase/group delay and, according to Curt, the ability to add metatags so that the desired preset will be called up for each file. In my case, Curt will be performing a remote setup on Friday, after which I'm free to tweak and play for about a week.

/Ken

William, you have a PM.

congrats Ken. lol, I was gonna call him on Friday to see if he could help but it sounds like he may be busy. I look forward to your impressions of it also.

William I'm going to PM you shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I have not played with it but sure would be interested in your feedback!
    I'll probably have some feedback by early next week...

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar

Exclamation I wanna know!

Sherwood Newcastle AV Receiver R-972 uses Trinnov.

Who else?

What is ST2?

Are there other versions?

Is Trinnov better than Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (& the Pro version)?

What about TacT? RCS Series? TCS Series?
    Any comment on the new Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro coming this Summer?

JBL Synthesis (H&K division), which Amir loves so much?
    Lexicon & QLS???

ARC from Anthem? ... From the Statement D2v pre/pro (not their receivers).

What can I learn concretely, educationally, constructively, intelligently,
    about Trinnov and all the rest of the gang when compared to each other,
    in a positively balanced way & without any propaganda or sales pitch?

With links & reviews please?

I truly wanna know EVERYTHING of WHAT'S BEST there is to learn about it all!
    {My present knowledge is simply way too limited ...}

TY to all who can shine some light in my infinite audio journey.

Best,
    Bob
    Last edited by NorthStar; 02-01-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: WB
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics) [Technical Expert] Mark Seaton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUR View Post
    Asher, I'm not too far behind you and Curt's coming by tomorrow to drop off an ST2 Pro for audition. I'm already using room correction in a 2.2 system via a TacT 2.2XP, but the Trinnov adds a number of features which I find appealing - phase/group delay and, according to Curt, the ability to add metatags so that the desired preset will be called up for each file. In my case, Curt will be performing a remote setup on Friday, after which I'm free to tweak and play for about a week.

/Ken

William, you have a PM.
    Hi Ken,

I look forward to your thoughts on this unit, as I've been dreaming up some uses. Given your experience with the Tact unit I'm curious to what your initial and later feelings are, as there are LOTS of options to digest. Someone already familiar with the many options a Tact offers might not find it so daunting.

Last weekend I heard a surround setup locally using ADA's external version of this and what I heard was very promising and left me thinking about some further ranges of adjustment which could be explored. Being able to pipe music directly in digitally makes it a very interesting option for a 2ch playback system.

The tricky thing with such devices is that they are very much tools and not just a result. How you put the available features to use and the target curves chosen/created allow for quite a range of results...

For those looking for some more info, there's a review on 6moons which looks to be an interesting read, although I haven't had time to get through all of it yet.
    Mark Seaton

Seaton Sound, Inc.

[WBF Founding Member]

May be jumping on this bandwagon

I have been exploring some EQ options myself and spend some time on the phone with Curt, who is very helpful and knowledgable. I have avalon eidolons vision and 2x jl f113, and always felt I I am not realizing the full potential of this 2.2 setup due to Xover and EQ limitations. I am very intersted to hear what you are learning about this Trinnov unit.

As a very interesting aside, since I also have a need to do 5.2, I am exploring an interesting idea with Curt. For 2 channel, I run digital in, and digital 2 channel out to my PerfectWave DAC for mains. For discrete stereo subs I use the Trinnov DACs.
    For Multi Channel, I run Front L/R, Center Channel and LFE channel into the four analog inputs. Through some smart switching (potentially all doable in Trinnov software), I can now use my four channels to run my Mains, Center and 2 Subs in mono mode, or if I prefer, I can run stereo subs, appy no EQ to the center, but time align through delay settings. Of course, I need an analog preamp to keep the surrounds volume control in synch with the other four channels that run through the Trinov, but this I have.

In summary, I could possibly get very good EQ / Xover for my MCH system with this 4 channel box on the cheap (relatively speaking).

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
    For those looking for some more info, there's A Review From 6Moons - Trinnov ST2-HiFi
    which looks to be an interesting read, although I haven't had time to get through all of it yet.
    Thank you Mark for that link.

Best,
    Bob
    Last edited by NorthStar; 02-01-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast