Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jplay : Wow

Quote Originally Posted by sasully View Post
    Yes.

Nothing substantial.

It isn't.
    I have not heard this particular player but I have heard and blind compared two different players (one of which was Media Monkey and don't remember the other). I could pick it out 100% of the time and so could anyone else. Was it level matched to .000000000001 db. NO. It did not need to be. We could change the volume and make one louder and then the other louder and we still picked the same one.

Your off-handed "it isn't" clearly demonstrates your total bias on the subject. (Do you even have a server?). Ever compared the one he is asking about. My bet would be no.
    “Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

My System

[WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    From what I've been able to surmise, different player softwares use CPU in varying amounts. Higher amounts of CPU usage can inject noise into the system and cause various audible effects. Enough CPU drain can cause "starvation" to the playback system, resulting in audible ticking during playback. In fact, I experienced all this in my own system and it was absolutely audible to anyone listening.

Lee
    Lee Aldridge

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Some credible testing of JPlay and JRiver differences:
    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/bl...Y-Test-Results

To summarize, no difference.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by jriver View Post

Thanks for the link. I will be happy with my JRiver MC17 and just saved 99 Euros it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by jriver View Post

All aural evidence to the contrary. Jplay mini, in hibernation mode, has no peer when it comes to sound quality via PC....including JRMC17, which I also own. Sorry Jim. You can test via machine all you care to, but ultimately it's what the ears and the brain perceive that counts.

Ok, forget about me saving 99 Euros...it was a nice idea.

I am sure it isn't the most accurate comparison but may be there's something to hearing differences in digital music file players with same specs - similar to what I personally hear the differences in between a Philips DVD 963SA (for that matter SACD1000) as a transport vs Emm Labs CDSD transport that shares same laser and mechanism...through same outboard DAC.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Aside from a few bloody noses, did we learn anything here? The more I learn about digital, the more confused I become. People swear different software makes their digital files sound better. Hell, I thought Foobar sounded better than MediaMonkey, but that may just have coincided with my switch from a tube preamp to a SS preamp. Some people swear that a digital file is a digital file and software really can’t have much if any influence.

People even argue about what sampling rate sounds better. Ever since I switched over to Windows 7 from XP Pro because of my new laptop server (thanks again Gary), my E-MU 0404 won’t lock on any higher than 96 kHz (and I presume this is caused by the Beta drivers from Creative Labs for Windows 7), and my DAC has never sounded better which confuses me even more. And I say this in a general sense as my 24/192 files are outnumbered by my less higher sampling rate files.

It’s a digital jungle out there I tell ya.

To those who believe that one bit perfect player can produce better (more perfect) sound than another, I've replied here:
    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...2577#post92577

There is data, noise and timing, until the file is converted to analog. If the data is bit perfect we're done with that part. There is a theory that the noise of a computer gets carried to the DAC along with the data, that the noise gets in the converted audio, and that by limiting the function of the computer playing the music file, you limit that noise. People actually not only use bare bones software but hobble the functionality of perfectly good hardware to minimize this noise. Galvanic isolation between the computer and the DAC makes a lot more sense. Then there is timing, jitter. Some people believe that a fully functioning computer not only sends noise nasties to the analog system but increases jitter that effects the functionality of the DAC. I suppose that's possible, too. But an asynchronous DAC, or re-clocking outside of the computer is, again, a much more elegant and effective solution. It's more efficient, too, because you don't have to dedicate a computer to playing music.

You can get rid of the noise and timing nasties, rest easy knowing that your digital file has been purified, sanctified, cannonized and cleansed, and, at the same time, use a good piece of software like JRiver or iTunes that gives you good information about the music you're playing, a lot of options in your file mangement, pretty pictures, and allows you to come here and argue with us while you're listening with, no negative effects. Win-win. Win.

Or you can use special software, or hobble a perfectly good computer, and believe it's all better until someone comes along with a big, heavy box with pretty lights on it, which is always better.

P
    In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts.

I'm afraid that the usual canards are being perpetrated here - digital is considered to be perfectly transposed - yes if it remains in the digital domain but we are talking about a mixed domain here unless you are able to listen directly to the bits? If you don't understand this then you shouldn't be involved in digital audio. If you do understand this then the bits are bits & bit-perfect mantra are disingenuous & misleading. Yes Jplay sounds better than any playback software I have heard - the evidence is growing & overwhelmingly obvious to any who listen & have the equipment to hear it
    Manufacturer digital products www.Ciunas.biz
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance – it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast