Jplay : Wow

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
This is my first post on WBS, but I could not contain my enthusiasm.
This weekend I downloaded both JRiver and JPLAY. JPLAY can now plug into JRiver (17 edition). You can do both for free to try them. I was previously using Media Monkey with Windows 7.
All I can say is wow! I usually listen to vinyl with a smattering of digital. I can listen to vinyl for hours without listening fatigue, but I usually get itchy after 30 minutes of digital.
With JRiver/JPLAY, I am able to listen for hours without any digital fatigue!!
The sound is more natural, no edge, bigger space between instruments, larger soundstage, etc, etc, etc.
Give it a try for free.
I purchased both: JRiver $49.95. and JPLAY 99 euros.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I've been in Rich's room: Custom and dedicated room; Magico's, Spectral, dCS stack. It is pretty amazing. The server he is referring to (but using Media Monkey previously) is the one that got me to sell my older server and switch to his. When we compared that configuration to his then existing transport (dCS), the server was the clear winner.

If this is that much better, I can see why he said "wow".

I will sure be giving it a try. (A $50 product? Is that even allowed to be discussed here :rolleyes:)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
.... I will sure be giving it a try. (A $50 product? Is that even allowed to be discussed here :rolleyes:)

But it's really the ~$150 product (JPlay) which is likely the winner here

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
I am not a computer geek, but I do believe in the high quality of server based audio. The "readers digest" explanation is that JPLAY allows your PC computer to deliver the highest quality digital signal to your DAC. It gets Windows 7 out of the way and prevents Windows from corrupting the signal. If you use a PC for computer audio, it is pretty simple to download the software and get up and running in just a few minutes. Also, the guy who invented it is really helpful if you have any problems.

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
Is it only used as a plug-in for JR or other servers as well

Yes, it is a plug in for JRiver and a few others. It can, however, be used by itself , but the user interface is not as cool as JRiver.
I emailed the developer and asked him to take a look at this thread.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes, it is a plug in for JRiver and a few others. It can, however, be used by itself , but the user interface is not as cool as JRiver.
I emailed the developer and asked him to take a look at this thread.

Thanks for doing that

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
How does this impact one's ability to use an iPad (or other device) to remotely control JRiver? IOW, what is it that the user sees on the iPad?

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
How does this impact one's ability to use an iPad (or other device) to remotely control JRiver? IOW, what is it that the user sees on the iPad?

You control it the same way you control JRiver without JPLAY. I use JREMOTE on my IPAD. It works fine.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
This is software? What can this do that other media players can't do or simply why is this better??

Rob

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
This is software? What can this do that other media players can't do or simply why is this better??

Yes, it is software that can be run on its own or it can plug into JRiver or Foobar. I run JRiver like I would without JPLAY and the interface is the same as plain JRiver. It is better because it sounds better. Why does it sound better? Remember, I'm not a computer geek, but I'll do my best.
Just like ASIO, WASAPI, etc. improve the audio in a "Windows" system, JPLAY also improves the audio in a "Windows" based system. It just does a better job at it. It apparently shuts down almost all other computer processes so they cannot interfere with sound reproduction. It also has a "Hibernate" mode which is the ultimate computer shutdown and the best sound reproduction. The problem is that you cannot control the computer while in Hibernate mode. You need to decide what you want to listen to, then let it ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Thanks for your response. I am running XP so I will have to wait until I upgrade my operating system . Why the emphasis on latency?? Why is that an issue during playback??

Rob:)

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
Thanks for your response. I am running XP so I will have to wait until I upgrade my operating system . Why the emphasis on latency?? Why is that an issue during playback??

Yes, you need Windows 7.
I have no idea about the latency issue. I have asked the developer to look at this thread and comment.

Rich

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That's an incredibly unhelpful and unscientific response to a reasonable question, and wrong as well. Different music players are no more equivalent than any other software of a given type.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing