Squeezebox Touch and external DAC

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
A hot debate among Squeezebox Touch owners is if it make sense to combine a Touch with an outboard DAC.
Anedio measured the analog out of the Touch and the analog out of their own DAC when driven by the Touch
http://www.anedio.com/index.php/article/squeezebox_touch

Anlog out of the Touch

Analog out of the D1-DAC

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
OK, Vincent, you have to admit that those graphs aren't terribly enlightening. Is this part of the debate about jitter artifacts at -160dB below the signal vs. only -140dB?

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Agreed.

A lot of people say the Touch sounds very good using its own DAC.
If I look at the graph I can only say this is a good jitter performance.
If I look at the price tag I can only say this is an excellent performance for a $300 piece of gear (touchscreen included).

But can you improve on it?
Obvious the measurement shows you can.
For me this is an important criteria.
Audio is full of claims about improvement in sound quality but often these claims are not backed by measurements, we just have to believe.
I won’t advocate that a measurable improvement maps itself into an audible improvement.
I do advocate if an improvement cannot be measured it is most of all marketing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing