Ever have one of those days when everything sounds good?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You know what...I'm not even concerned about the pressings, masterings, etc....I'm just enjoying what I have and taking pleasure in it. Some of the stuff I have is primo quality in all records, others not so much, but hell....I really like The Brothers Johnson- Get The Funk Outta My Face....so play it I did! (Actually, that's a pretty good 12" 45). I've got kind of a so-so copy of EJ's-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and I enjoyed it even with the occasional pop/click.

PS: I ordered the Speakers Corner reissue of GYBR as I hear its sublime. Can't wait to get it.

Did you mean GBYR? I have the original MoFi LP.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Mine was really good all weekend. I played plenty of jazz and Beatles LPs. People that say the early Beatles LPs don't sound good (and some say any of their LPs) have rocks in their socks. Maybe if all you ever owned was the Capitol releases, I could get it. The EMI Parlaphone LPs are all pretty amazing if you are a fan. Buy a copy of the EMI Parlaphone BC-13 collection while you can and a German pressing of Magical Mystery Tour (the one with the purple cover) to fill in the one missing hole and you are good to go. Yes, the Parlaphone pressings are on the thin side and really crammed too many songs on a side in order to give you your money's worth. Yes, there is some pre-echo you will hear before the music starts. But, once the music starts, sit back and hold on because you will be in for a ride. I listened to Revolver last night and was blown away all over again.

The only thing that would entice me to buy the Beatles' collection all over again would be if they would use the original master tapes and cut new vinyl at 45 RPM with only a few songs per side. But guess what? That's never going to happen. Abbey Road thinks they have already given us their best with the little green apple that contains the USB stick with FLAC files.

Mark

I think you are spot on regarding Beatles on Parlophone. They have gotten crazy expensive but if you are a fan, they are worth every penny. I strongly prefer the mono mixes up to and including Sgt. Pepper.

Very similar story to the Stones in that until you have heard the original unboxed Decca pressings, you really haven't heard 'em. The Parlophones and Deccas won't impress an audio snob but there is way more in the grooves than folks used to hearing the US pressings could ever imagine.

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
You know what...I'm not even concerned about the pressings, masterings, etc....I'm just enjoying what I have and taking pleasure in it.

Spot on!! I was directed to a documentary - Art of Violin by one of my FB friends who took issue with my declaring that Erick Friedman had the most auspicious recording debut of any violinist. I was enthralled by the music from archival footage. The sound was probably worse than low bit-rate mp3 because I couldn't even hear the tonality or harmonics of the violins (this is 80 year old film!!) but I was absolutely captured by the music and the performance.

The entire documentary is available on Youtube - the sound on the DVD is no better, so might as well watch the documentary for free there.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Mark

I think you are spot on regarding Beatles on Parlophone. They have gotten crazy expensive but if you are a fan, they are worth every penny. I strongly prefer the mono mixes up to and including Sgt. Pepper.

Very similar story to the Stones in that if you have heard the original unboxed Decca pressings, you really haven't heard 'em. The Parlophones and Deccas won't impress an audio snob but there is way more in the grooves than folks used to hearing the US pressings could ever imagine.

Mark-I appreciate the affirmation. Sadly, I don't own any of the original Stones LPs on Decca. I have all of the reissues and lots of them were digitally sourced, but I do wish I had some original Decca recordings in order to know what is really going on. I do have some non-digital reissues as well, but it would be cool to hear the real deal so to speak. The Stones put out lots of great music and it would be nice to hear it at its best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing