How fast is technology moving forward? / Burmester

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello folks, Tom here. This time I have a question that I'm hoping at least some of you may not be able to answer but at the very least, shed some light on or direct me in the proper places to find out on my own. I have recently been very interested in some Burmester products. Specifically DAC's or a CDP that has a built in DAC.

What I would like to know is if I were to purchase a used [say, circa 2000] model, would the technology advancements made between now and then make this kind of a leap....well, a step back? I would absolutely LOVE to get my ears on a new Burmester and find out for myself but at this point in my life, I can not make that happen.

Basically, has technology advanced so much within this time frame that even a used unit of this caliber is now considered obsolete?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and don't forget to enjoy the music!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Treitz,

As somebody with a veritable elephant's graveyard of DACs, in general terms, I would say that yes, a lot has changed in just a dozen years. There are 3 figure and low four figure DACs on the market now that would not just go head to toe with heralded DACs from the past but beat quite a few too. There are the Oppo, Creek and Rega players, Benchmarks, EEs, oh so many. Of course they don't look as nice. :( Having said that, I haven't heard any of the older Burmester equipment. Distribution here in our country only started 4 years ago. I think they are excellent players by the way.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have 3 DACs, one almost 15 years old, and two others that are quite recent - I use the old one for serious(?) listening....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No fair. Accuphase has always been smooth. :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
In the last 10-12 years? Yes, DAC technology has improved and matured. The most important development in recent years, I suppose, is non-synchronous USB. It would be important enough to say that it is the architecture all future DACs should be built with if there weren't so many not using that architecture that clearly don't need it to reduce jitter to inaudible levels.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
In the last 10-12 years? Yes, DAC technology has improved and matured. The most important development in recent years, I suppose, is non-synchronous USB. It would be important enough to say that it is the architecture all future DACs should be built with if there weren't so many not using that architecture that clearly don't need it to reduce jitter to inaudible levels.

Tim

Was that a left-handed compliment?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Was that a left-handed compliment?

No, just my point of view. asynchronus USB is an elegant, solution to one of the biggest problems digital to analogue conversion faces, but it's not a problem that hasn't already been addressed through other, perhaps less elegant methods -- re-clocking, and just really good DAC design.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I must say that what Burmester has been doing somewhat quietly on that digital front is nothing short of extraordinary. To convince yourself try to listen to thwir very first foray into DAC. The 870, it sounds refined to this day.. It was designed in 1987!!! the 980 which I have extensive experience with will surpass likely most of the DACs you hear a lot about today. I have the Benchmark and had the 980 (Long Story which I have told in the WBF) and frankly the Benchmark is not in the same league. Even if you get across short-lived unit such as the 976 (I believe) .. just grab it. As for the 980, it is IMO better than most heralded DACs out there and it does 24/96 in the SRC version anyway so .. You will not regret your purchase and with Burmester you have a very interesting upgrade policy ... Burmester is not about changing gear often it is about value for the money (quite a bit though) you pay ...
Of course I am a fan ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I also have high appraisal for Burmester Audio equipment. But it should be noted that this level of performance is not reached only by classical designing processes. Please take a look at their page on Sound and Musicality.

http://www.burmester.de/en/audiosysteme/index.php?content=klangqualitaet&cnavid=6

Measurements are able to make a statement about the technical and mechanic quality of the piece of equipment. They cannot, however, predict the actual sound. Proof is given by the fact that it is possible to build two devices, which have exactly the same technical data but a completely different sound.

The interviews of Dieter Burmester are also really interesting:

I am a full blood creative engineer, but it is not the technical aspect that counts, but the emotional element of the products’ sound. The technology behind it is only a means to an end. For me perfection has a high emotional value. Therefore I am striving for perfect shape, perfect quality, perfect function and perfect sound. I also hope that our products provide access to the enjoyment of music to many people.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Age is only part of the equation: I had my "epiphany" :b with a 1986 Yamaha battleship player, which I still have, still does the job; The DAC chips are nothing really special, just the normal ones Burr Brown did at the time, you can hear the lowest bits are not quite right on appropriate material. But what they did was put in monster power supplies for the day. Separate, big transformers for the digital, and analogue side; heavy metal everywhere, the engineers knew what was important.

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing