WSJ Article on Vinyl

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
...They've rightly derided the brittle compression of CDs and given the cold shoulder to even the more robust digital formats, such as super-audio CDs. (Don't get them started on the hopeless degradation of MP3s.)

That had to hurt!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Might is well simply make your own music (write, compose, play, and record it).

... Using a CD recorder? ... Or on Tape (R2R)? ... Or 'burn an album' (acetate) directly? :b

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
My admittedly biased reaction to reading the article this morning was that much of vinyl's current appeal does not relate to absolute sound quality. The discussion of cover art, the physicality of the medium, and the characterization of the sound quality differences have little or nothing to do with true audio quality. Criticizing the "brittle compression" of CD's must refer to mastering practices, because it is certainly not inherent to the medium, and even less so for higher resolution digital, which is lumped by the writer in with CD.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My admittedly biased reaction to reading the article this morning was that much of vinyl's current appeal does not relate to absolute sound quality. The discussion of cover art, the physicality of the medium, and the characterization of the sound quality differences have little or nothing to do with true audio quality. Criticizing the "brittle compression" of CD's must refer to mastering practices, because it is certainly not inherent to the medium, and even less so for higher resolution digital, which is lumped by the writer in with CD.

If there is something that I find amiss with the current way of listening to music is the tactile experience of a great LP cover and album design in general. Holding the smallish CD jewel case of holding my iPad/Pod to look at the graphics is simply not the same thing aside from that ...
See a thread I started .. on TT I will get one but the reasons are definitely not sonics .. far from it .. Content and sentimentality

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Agreed one really wanted more meat to the piece; this story has been repeated many times. The bottom line is still that sales have increased and that young people are again listening to vinyl. That's were our future lies :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If there is something that I find amiss with the current way of listening to music is the tactile experience of a great LP cover and album design in general. Holding the smallish CD jewel case of holding my iPad/Pod to look at the graphics is simply not the same thing aside from that ...
See a thread I started .. on TT I will get one but the reasons are definitely not sonics .. far from it .. Content and sentimentality

Yes, the cover art on albums was just that--Art :) There are some very famous people that did album covers too ;)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
"The embrace of vinyl isn't just some retro fad, but a push-back against the techno-triumphalism that insists there is no future for physical artifacts like books and newspapers. It's a small declaration of independence, a refusal to let the march of progress stomp on one's pleasures."

best quote in the article and what many vinylphiles won't admit too. of the many serious vinyl collectors ive know over the years, sound quality wasnt the first, second or third reason they hung on so long, althought they'll be quick to quote people like fremmer even though they never read TAS or knew what a decent system sounds like.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like the part about how the ritual results in more purposeful listening. Perhaps it's become a welcome respite for the young 'uns from their multitasking lifestyles. Another one of the reasons I love LP is it forces me to slow the heck down. I have to say that even the silences between tracks and turning the record over are almost as pleasurable as the listening itself.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The embrace of vinyl isn't just some retro fad, but a push-back against the techno-triumphalism that insists there is no future for physical artifacts like books and newspapers. It's a small declaration of independence, a refusal to let the march of progress stomp on one's pleasures.
Oh, of course! It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the sound. *rolls eyes* I take it that he has never actually listened. If he had, he would not seem to be on par with a donkey.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Should they make CDs with two sides, that you flip over? ...With a Q (pitch) control on the player?

To me, R2R sounds more real and that's where the younger generations should be aiming for. :b
...Meaning to create and record their own music!

Screw everything that has already been done and recorded! Create your own, be imaginative, do the NEW stuff! And not the one that some of the many people hide in their own personal & selfish collections.
And those new LP remasters cost more than two new Blu-ray releases from PIXAR in 3D!

I love my LPs to death, but they can go the way of the dodo too!
My musical journey is 100 times more evolved by listening to much more music and from all over the world!

Man, listen to yourself sometimes! :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing