Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSJ Article on Vinyl

WBF Founding Member/Member Sponsor MylesBAstor's Avatar
    Myles B. Astor, PhD
    Senior Assistant Editor, Positive-Feedback Online, www.positive-feedback.com;
    Executive Editor, www.AVShowrooms.com

Skepticism is the sadism of embittered souls.

There is something to be said in doing things wrong the exact same way every time. Itís not a good thing, but still.

...They've rightly derided the brittle compression of CDs and given the cold shoulder to even the more robust digital formats, such as super-audio CDs. (Don't get them started on the hopeless degradation of MP3s.)

That had to hurt!
    Science should strive to make a perfect product instead of tryingr to convince me that it already has.

Banned
    Victoria, Vancouver Island, B.C. - Canada
    Might is well simply make your own music (write, compose, play, and record it).

... Using a CD recorder? ... Or on Tape (R2R)? ... Or 'burn an album' (acetate) directly?

My admittedly biased reaction to reading the article this morning was that much of vinyl's current appeal does not relate to absolute sound quality. The discussion of cover art, the physicality of the medium, and the characterization of the sound quality differences have little or nothing to do with true audio quality. Criticizing the "brittle compression" of CD's must refer to mastering practices, because it is certainly not inherent to the medium, and even less so for higher resolution digital, which is lumped by the writer in with CD.

WBF Founding Member/Member Sponsor FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    My admittedly biased reaction to reading the article this morning was that much of vinyl's current appeal does not relate to absolute sound quality. The discussion of cover art, the physicality of the medium, and the characterization of the sound quality differences have little or nothing to do with true audio quality. Criticizing the "brittle compression" of CD's must refer to mastering practices, because it is certainly not inherent to the medium, and even less so for higher resolution digital, which is lumped by the writer in with CD.
    If there is something that I find amiss with the current way of listening to music is the tactile experience of a great LP cover and album design in general. Holding the smallish CD jewel case of holding my iPad/Pod to look at the graphics is simply not the same thing aside from that ...
    See a thread I started .. on TT I will get one but the reasons are definitely not sonics .. far from it .. Content and sentimentality
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    óCarl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    ó Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Agreed one really wanted more meat to the piece; this story has been repeated many times. The bottom line is still that sales have increased and that young people are again listening to vinyl. That's were our future lies
    Myles B. Astor, PhD

There is something to be said in doing things wrong the exact same way every time. Itís not a good thing, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    If there is something that I find amiss with the current way of listening to music is the tactile experience of a great LP cover and album design in general. Holding the smallish CD jewel case of holding my iPad/Pod to look at the graphics is simply not the same thing aside from that ...
    See a thread I started .. on TT I will get one but the reasons are definitely not sonics .. far from it .. Content and sentimentality
    Yes, the cover art on albums was just that--Art There are some very famous people that did album covers too
    Myles B. Astor, PhD

"The embrace of vinyl isn't just some retro fad, but a push-back against the techno-triumphalism that insists there is no future for physical artifacts like books and newspapers. It's a small declaration of independence, a refusal to let the march of progress stomp on one's pleasures."

best quote in the article and what many vinylphiles won't admit too. of the many serious vinyl collectors ive know over the years, sound quality wasnt the first, second or third reason they hung on so long, althought they'll be quick to quote people like fremmer even though they never read TAS or knew what a decent system sounds like.
    Rob

"Minds are made to be blown." - R. Crumb

WBF Founding Member and Super Moderator JackD201's Avatar
    I like the part about how the ritual results in more purposeful listening. Perhaps it's become a welcome respite for the young 'uns from their multitasking lifestyles. Another one of the reasons I love LP is it forces me to slow the heck down. I have to say that even the silences between tracks and turning the record over are almost as pleasurable as the listening itself.

The embrace of vinyl isn't just some retro fad, but a push-back against the techno-triumphalism that insists there is no future for physical artifacts like books and newspapers. It's a small declaration of independence, a refusal to let the march of progress stomp on one's pleasures.
    Oh, of course! It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the sound. *rolls eyes* I take it that he has never actually listened. If he had, he would not seem to be on par with a donkey.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast