Bi-wiring and amp load?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have heard bi-wired systems sound more dynamic than single wired systems. Bi-wiring seems to be artificial way to improve the power of an amp.

Does anyone understand how this works?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
There's a thread in the tech section about bi-wiring. I see no way for it to audibly improve the sound of an amp, and there is no way for it to increase the power of an amp. I have yet to attend a bi-wire test where it made a difference, or a difference not equaled by simply using a larger (single) cable.

Disclaimer: I am not in general a strong advocate for wires beyond large enough to do the job. Others have far more experience with wire swapping and will chime in, I am sure.

As always, YMMV - Don

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As always, different does not forcefully mean better.

I have read that some manufacturers intentionally do not have bi-wiring because they fear that customers using two different types of wires in the bass and the treble can ruin the sound of their speakers.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wires, more wires ...

Bi-wiring, Tri-wiring, Quad-wiring, it all adds up to adding more wires, more cabling,
but not more ampying, amplifying, powering.

And there is nothing wrong in adding more and higher cable gauge to your system.
Loudspeakers that allow bi-wiring are simply providing more flexibility and potential sound benefits.

* As for the true real benefits of bi-wiring, simply put:
-> It can improve clarity and openness, and provide more solidity to the bass.
{As it only requires two additional speaker cables,
it is also a low cost way to achieve even better performance from your loudspeakers.}

** And as for the technical advantages of using more cables, or higher cable gauge,
and to each driver of a loudspeaker:
-> Cable resistance, cable inductance, and cable impedance ...

1. {A cable's shunt capacitive reactance, should be as high as possible.}
[Cable capacitance should be as small as possible.]

2. {A cable's series inductive reactance should be as small as possible.}
[Inductance should be as small as possible.]

3. {A cable's series resistance should also be as low as possible.}

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing