What's wrong with Redbook, really?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
No idea. It's a second hand ex-commercial item, pretty well built, a HP, my wife's machine. It most likely is an all-in-one chip on the main board. But it's good enough to pick up the subtleties with different formats. Some time ago someone, I think Bruce, posted a number of versions of the same music actually mastered at different bit rates, and the same story was there: the denser the data, the better the sound was. So one would say in that case the poorer resolution files had "lost" information that was encoded in the higher.

Yet, here was a nominally quite poor information file, the MP3, going in the other direction, in terms of acquiring "quality", by resampling in a separate software exercise, and there is a similar result.

My take is, that especially with MP3 the processor has to do quite a bit of digesting to recreate the sound information, with a normal WAV only the DSP filtering in the DAC has to work hard, and finally, in the heavily upsampled, 24/192 version the chip basically can just run the musical data through with minimum fuss. So it's the level, the amount of computer style processing necessary to turn the file into the analogue what counts, that determines the end quality.

Frank

What's the model # of the HP?

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
What's the model # of the HP?

Tim
You've got me intrigued now, Tim, know something I don't :b? Anyway, little bit of jiggling later, it's a HP Compaq dc7700, had a quick look up at HP's website; it says "Integrated High Definition audio with Realtek ALC262 High Definition audio codec". Does that give you any clues?

Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You've got me intrigued now, Tim, know something I don't :b? Anyway, little bit of jiggling later, it's a HP Compaq dc7700, had a quick look up at HP's website; it says "Integrated High Definition audio with Realtek ALC262 High Definition audio codec". Does that give you any clues?

Frank

Yes, it tells me that it is capable of 24/192.

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Very few settings for the Realtek, just hardware acceleration and sample rate quality, settings from good to best, does anyone think playing with these settings at lower levels makes a positive difference? Knowing the whole business of computer audio is a huge can of worms, one can never be quite certain exactly what's going on, unless you're prepared to do a lot of research. I feel the telling point is in the quote from Vincent's link:

When you upsample you do filtering in the computer, in effect replacing the DAC's filter with the computer's filter. In general these will be different and so the sound will be (somewhat) affected. Whether one way is better than another depends on the filters involved, i.e. there can be no general rule. Pragmatically, it is often the case that upsampling improves a cheap DAC, but it is less likely that upsampling will improve a great DAC and it may make things worse. Hence, YMMV.
That point I totally agree with: the cheap DAC in the PC sounds better when fed high bit rate material. A "great DAC" will do what it needs to do to handle the source, preventing that handling degrading the sound; the electronics are sorted out better.

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
As another bit o' fun, tried the resampling exercise on Jack's Monster from the Black Lagoon, Dexys Midnight Runners "Come on Eileen": turned a 4 Meg MP3 into an over 285 Meg 24/192 file. The MP3 was pretty dreadful over the PC speakers, I don't know how Jack can say they sound better that way; but, the good story is that the resampling did a miracle recovery. Went from say 2/10, pretty sludgy, to 6/10, quite reasonable: the fiddle came out nicely, started to get a bit of depth, some acoustic, separation of the mix, even the snares started to sound possible; turned up the volume and bopped along on the other side of the room. Also pointed out clear differences between Nero and foobar2000, Nero softened it up a bit; foobar added a harder edge.

But of course, it may be that I have a miracle PC here ...

Frank

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Stupid question here...but can a change of DVD/CD player/burner in a PC make a difference in sound quality?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Stupid question here...but can a change of DVD/CD player/burner in a PC make a difference in sound quality?

Oh yeah... along with the media you use.

You need to match the media to the burner that you are going to use.

In MY experience and in MY system, I have found that Plextor Premium burners sound the best with T-Y media and MAM-A media sounds best with Yamaha and Lite-On burners

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oh yeah... along with the media you use.

I ask because I changed one out and I swear I can hear better resolution. I'm thinking it may just be a placebo effect.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
John, the placebo "thing" only goes so far. I'd always trust my ears except in two instances: yesterday I was in a really, really lousy mood, had stayed too long to watch the tennis, and the audio system was sounding sh!t, switched it off. So, there might really be something wrong, or my general collapse of energy was getting in the way. The other situation is if you quickly switch from good to slightly less good, and back again, the classic ABX; I've found that the short term memory trips me up beautifully, the brain compensates, fills in the gaps in the version less good, and you end up thoroughly confused ...

Frank

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Frank- I've been listening for few hours now and to both my PC .flac files and CD and I'm surprised how much better it sounds. Not only that, this new drive (ASUS) is super quiet...I can't even hear it spin. I never would have imagined a simple drive change could have that effect.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I'd would go with that, John. Now, if you really want to "test" what's going on: if you can, put back the previous drive and let your ears, and the electronics, settle down for a few hours again, see what what your conclusions are. All my audio experiments have told me that nothing is certain, one way or the other, unless you have hours or even days on the meter, to know whether you have a real improvement or not. All audiophiles "know" that you have to "burn in" cables, etc, etc; unfortunately, that goes for everything, absolutely everything. Rapid switching is never going to tell anything worthwhile with audio, unless there are extreme differences ...

Frank

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Just make sure you fiddle and fuss with it before you toss it over the cliff.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Ron-I have to say I think it sounds very good. Adding another pair of subs and firing at them opposite angles of the main speaker subs has resulted in a very smooth, natural sounding bass. I wouldn’t want to be without them. They never call attention to themselves as a source of sound and they add to the spaciousness of the soundstage.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Let's just throw science over the cliff.:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:
I would like to see the research that "proves" that rapid switching DOESN'T allow the brain to compensate, to confuse two different auditory experiences as being "identical" when in fact they're different.

Or maybe science is so sure that the brain is just an assembly of flesh and blood that always works in straightforward, predictable ways that we don't have to worry about such subtleties ...

Back to Redbook: I decided to go for broke -- let's do it! -- and resampled my "terrible" new wave "Come in Eileen" crap MP3 to 24/384. Talk about expansion: that miserable less than 4 Meg file is now well over half a gigabyte!! 571 Megs, to be precise. But worst is yet to come: yes, there was an improvement! Original MP3: 2/10, 192 WAV: 6/10, 384 WAV: 7.5/10. Purely subjective, but gives an indication of what happens on Nero.

Changes from 192 to 384 rate? Reduces "metallic" edge to sounds prone to that, silibants less spitty, more natural, fatigue level down, more "realistic". Gosh, even Jack may tolerate hearing a tiny bit of it! I could wind it right up, put it on repeat and not run screaming from the room ...

So, an interesting experiment: you CAN turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Sort of ...

Who would have thunk it ...??

Frank

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Science doesn't prove anything to the degree of absolute certitude you're describing, nor is it logically possible to prove a negative. So please kindly refrain from presenting straw man arguments in support of your laughable position. And rapid switching only is of value with extreme differences? Oh my.:eek: Complete and utter disrespect and ignorance of the scientific method, that which already has been ascertained and accepted within the scientific community, and those who've spent their entire adult lives and careers in the pursuit of meaningful and valuable information for the betterment of human kind.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
In fact there would be a simple, "scientific" way of assessing such a factor. Let's say we consider an experiment in auditory matters, such as Geddes carries out: the ability to detect harmonic distortion.

A pure signal is mixed with a harmonic at various levels until the subject can reliably detect its presence, or absence, tested the "normal way". Then we vary the way the switching takes place between the signal with, and the signal without, for that subject: switching back and forth at various rates controlled by the experimenter, then do the same but also insert variable gaps of silence between the two versions switched, and finally allow the subject to control the rate of switching. All this can be very carefully controlled, monitored precisely, very "scientific".

We're using good research techniques here to get real answers, not "prove" a negative ...

Frank

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The use of the scientific method and audio science as a sword in our debates is tiresome and useless. I do not share many of Frank ideas, but appreciate his arguments and his passion for audio - it is why many of us read WBF. As we are grown up adults, we do not risk of being corrupted by his sayings. His language is not scientific, and he writes in a free way what he feels. We decode and interpret it! :)

Some weeks ago I was assisting to a seminar on quasiperiodic crystals or quasicrystals, as they are called in short. The 2011 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to Dan Shechtman for work carried on this subject in 1982. His findings were a revolution in crystallography and even the long standing definition of crystal had to be changed because of them - crystals become ordered structures but did not need to be periodic, and a crystal needed to be defined by the patterns it generates by diffraction, not by its atoms arrangements structure as before.

For long years, Shechtman was received with hostility and his work was rejected using arguments such as he was misapplying the scientific method. Linus Pauling, another famous Nobel Prize, even said "There is no such thing as quasicrystals, only quasi-scientists." But his work is now confirmed. and as I read the Nobel Committee at the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said that "his discovery was extremely controversial," but that his work "eventually forced scientists to reconsider their conception of the very nature of matter."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing