What Kind Of Audiophile Are You? Have You Reached Audio Nirvana ?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Being a member of many audio fora as well as personally being involved in this hobby for 50 years it is apparent that there are 2 types of audiophiles as defined so well in Wikipedia......

An audiophile is a person who has a great interest in high-fidelity sound reproduction. Some audiophiles are more interested in collecting and listening to music, while others are more interested in collecting and listening to audio components, whose "sound quality" they consider as important as the recorded musical performance, or even more important. The ratio of an audiophile's spending on software (music) versus hardware (audio components) is a rough guide to where they stand in the audiophile spectrum.

Reading through the threads here, there is no doubt in my mind that indeed we have 2 types of audiophiles here as described in the above definition and quite likely a 3rd which is a combination of both. There are countless members here whose audio system is always in a state of flux and changing to the point where IMO it becomes difficult if not impossible to appreciate the music because it becomes far too analytic as they search for the Holy Grail of sound. Then there are others who just appreciate music for what it is and have vast collections of music. Their systems remain unchanged for many years and they love what they have. And then there is the 3rd group who in their quest for the Holy Grail assemble a massive collection of music.

I suppose we have another group here who are analyzing the music trying to make bad music good as a sign of a good system. This leaves me somewhat senseless from a lack of understanding but I guess there are always extremes of anything. This to me is not audiophilia but a weird form of DIY where everything in a system needs to be modified, changed, soldered etc to make it sound right.

I must admit that for many years I belonged to the first group as I tweaked my system to where it is now. Over the past several years however I have a smile on my face and toes are tapping when I listen to my system. I have given up chasing the elusive and truly love what I have. I have said over the past few years that the only thing I want to add is a MAC based computer music server as well as a persistant thought of returning to vinyl (which most of my friends, including myself think I am nuts) but that's really it.

So what say all of you? And be honest. Have you reached Audio Nirvana or do you have restless energy to continue to swap equipment in and out of your system

There are countless threads here where members have speakers coming in and going out faster than the moving trucks can bring them as well as constantly changing DAC's, transports, cables, preamps and amps. Changes are made so often that I have wondered if they are enjoying the music or merely analyzing components in their system. Sometimes more than one change happens at the same time so I cannot fathom how they figure what they heard different from each component due to the sweeping same time changes in their systems. This to me is not enjoying the music but rather a quest to have experienced most every component in their systems. How many used components do we see like this for sale on Audiogon. It's components in and components out in blistering fashion.

My mantra over the years has always been, "did I hear something better or just something different. If it is better, then, how so?"

Audiophilia or audiofoolia :confused:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Steve,

There are many many audio tribes. It's the Internet that gives us access to each other. Here's my list:
Most expensive component is best tribe.
Speaker of the month tribe (substitute amp or wire or anything else for the word "speaker.")
Music comes first tribe.
Digital tribe.
RtoR tribe.
Vinyl tribe.
TAS lover or TAS hater tribe (substitute any publication for TAS)
SET tribe.
Mini monitor tribe.
Vintage tribe. (witness my Bozak group with almost 800 members)
Listening room matters most tribe.

Am I missing any?

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great post Steve. Personally, I am huge classical music lover, and started collecting at the age of ~15... I use audio equipment as the means to achieve accurate *music* reproduction as the path to enjoyable music reproduction, and I currently enjoy what I have immensely. In the past 20 years I think I have brought in for home audition about two dozen pieces tops - and I hate swapping components all the time. There is still room for improvement, but I just don't have the desire to do so...

Here's my first audiophile classical LP that got me into the high end (notice the bottom of the credits - and got me to wonder: who are these guys:))...

IMG_5173-2..JPG

IMG_5175-2..JPG

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've always been in the music collector camp, but I certainly want it to sound good. Part of music collecting for me has meant somewhat inferior source material (for example, amateur or semi-professional recordings) which usually benefits from some attempts at mastering, so I spend sometime dabbling there as well.

I tend to change components fairly rarely, but am always interested in proven tweaks (usually room acoustics or isolation).

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Always dangerous to quote ones self, but I'll do it anyway from my Audiogon system thread:

"Theodore Leavitt famously told his MBA students that "People don't want a 1/4" drill. They want a 1/4" hole." Don't get me wrong, I like shiny toys. I view my audio system as simply a tool; a means to the end of enjoying music."

Steve's post touches on an important point...when do we cease fantasizing about purchasing equipment and spend our energy enjoying music? Sounds like Steve is there. I think I'm close. I'm delighted with my analog and digital sources, speakers, equipment rack and preamplification. I could see trying a SET amp but it would have to be a significant upgrade from what I already own. I spend way more time on the internet chasing original pressings on Ebay and searching for new releases on music forums...so that's a good sign.:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will say, i feel fortunate...while i continue to enjoy upgrading one component at a time, i never use infintite repeat when i am working and listening...because i have so much great music i wish to listen to in one day, i want to make sure i get thru as many albums as i can without repeating. At the same time, while i listen to the music, i cannot help but enjoy how the system has improved in delivering the music to me...its kind of enjoying both at the same time. great music, great system.

When it finally comes time to turn it off at the end of the day, i always struggle for a few seconds, and then just have to do it...because the music i like also sounds good.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Some thoughts ...

I consider myself a balanced audiophile, with emphasis on music and sound reproduction.

Now, this being said, here's a view.

Fifty years ago, the music mediums and electronics were very different than now.
Speaker designers, even twenty years ago were using turntables as their sources (R2R also).
And for Video we had VHS tapes!

Fast forward to 2012; we have high res downloadable audio files, and what was yesterday analog sources are now digital ones at 16, 20, 24, 32, 64, and 128-bit audio high resolution.
And with that; 22, 44, 48, 88, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 704, and 768 kHz audio sampling rates.

So, yesterday (even ten years ago) was different than now on some aspects of technological advancements, right? Of course right!

So, audiophile (music, gear, or/& both), has to be evaluated in the context of time and technology.

It ain't so easy after all to valuate (stick an etiquette) on someone, when constant changements are happening so fast that the word "audiophile" itself takes a totally new meaning. In space and in time.

Comparing ourself to others is also very tricky ... Because each one of us has his own emphasis in life, and nobody else can judge or equalize the true identity of a different set of "audio" values.
It is a personal and free equation.

Only each individual can evaluate himself based on space and time and values ...

And the time spent is not in years, but in true real minutes, hours ...
{Do you know how many hours in your life that you spent on serious music listening and sound audio perfectioning? And how intense, valuable, fruitful, audacious, harmonius, harnessing, those hours were?}

See Steve, it is more complex than just what it looks like at the surface.
...And I didn't even talk about the audio financial investment here.
Can we put a figure to an amount of money? ...In relation to our audiophilia?

* Me, I invested close to half a million dollars just on audio software alone (gear is secondary).
And the number of hours I consecrated to Audio in my life is enormous.
From my own viewpoint, 'Audiophile' is simply a word without frontiers ...
It has no definitive meaning unless you want to define it.
I'm deigning into my own infinite.
Because after all, who can define what a true audiophile is? Me? You? Them?
A music lover first and foremost ... And I don't sit down in the Nirvana spot like I used to in my youth.

Steve, you have a great 'system', and a great room; and I can only dream ...
And to be happy on my sejour here on this planet, I have to find my own contentment ...
And that I can share with you, and you can share with me your own reality and dreams as well ...

:b

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I consider myself a balanced audiophile, with emphasis on music and sound reproduction.

Now, this being said, here's a view.

Fifty years ago, the music mediums and electronics were very different than now.
Speaker designers, even twenty years ago were using turntables as their sources (R2R also).
And for Video we had VHS tapes!

Fast forward to 2012; we have high res downloadable audio files, and what was yesterday analog sources are now digital ones at 16, 20, 24, 32, and 64-bit audio high resolution.
And with that, 22, 44, 48, 88, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384 Khz audio sampling rates.

So, yesterday (even ten years ago) was different than now on some aspects of technological advancements, right? Of course right!

So, audiophile (music, gear, or/& both), has to be evaluated in the context of time and technology.

It ain't so easy after all to valuate (stick an etiquette) on someone, when constant changements are happening so fast that the word "audiophile" itself takes a totally new meaning. In space and in time.

Comparing ourself to others is also very tricky ... Because each one of us has his own emphasis in life, and nobody else can judge or equalize the true identity of a different set of "audio" values.
It is a personal and free equation.

Only each individual can evaluate himself based on space and time and values ...

And the time spent is not in years, but in true real minutes, hours ...
{Do you know how many hours in your life that you spent on serious music listening and sound audio perfectioning? And how intense, valuable, fruitful, audacious, harmonius, harnessing, those hours were?}

See Steve, it is more complex than just what it looks like at the surface.
...And I didn't even talk about the audio financial investment here.
Can we put a figure to an amount of money? ...In relation to our audiophilia?

* Me, I invested close to half a million dollars just on audio software alone (gear is secondary).
And the number of hours I consecrated to Audio in my life is enormous.
From my own viewpoint, 'Audiophile' is simply a word without frontiers ...
It has no definitive meaning unless you want to define it.
I'm deigning into my own infinite.
Because after all, who can define what a true audiophile is? Me? You? Them?
A music lover first and foremost ... And I don't sit down in the Nirvana spot like I used to in my youth.

Steve, you have a great 'system', and a great room; and I can only dream ...
And to be happy on my sejour here on this planet, I have to find my own contentment ...
And that I can share with you, and you can share with me your own reality and dreams as well ...

All very well Bob but all you have done is give indication that you fit into one or both of the above wiki definitions. Not complex at all.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Audiophilia? Say what!!!

All very well Bob but all you have done is give indication that you fit into one or both of the above wiki definitions. Not complex at all.

My dear doctor, I am now at a point in my life (for the last twelve years or so) that my full realization about living happy is finally upon me. I enjoy listening to the music mostly for what it is than what it can be. But still always willing to upgrade my electronics to follow the flow of the technical advancements in music high resolution recordings.

I am certainly not stubborn in my addiction, but there nonetheless. And always listening & enjoying.
Age does that to you I believe. And I am convinced that I'm not alone.

Complex? You want complex doc? What kind of complex?
Because there are many kinds of complexities, but at the end they are truly simple. :b

* Here's one for you Steve!
=> Ask a question that is so precise and clear that the answer is already in its interrogation point!

** Here's a better one!
==> Say what you say, and tell it like you said, and just wait for a reply.
Expect the unexpected, and suspect the unsuspected, but always respect even the unrestricted.

*** Another one!
===> Unravel life's entanglement. In particular with Audio.

...At the end I can only express my own 'soulstream'.
My words are my own, and my readings are universal ...
We do and say what we believe, and that's who we are ...
And the music is still playing ...

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I'm obviously a member of the "weirdo" set, perhaps you could call it the "Sound reproduction can be THAT good!" tribe. People in our category marvel at how overwhelming music, almost all music, can be; so the few of us would typically have highly eclectic collections, as we discover what's hidden in the grooves, so to speak. The enjoyment of music drives us, but we know we have to spend considerable energy, if not money, on refining the setup: so in that sense we are "obsessed" with the hardware. But it never degenerates into a swapfest, or particular variety of hardware fanaticism; we know the answers to reaching Nirvana most certainly aren't to be found there ...

Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I wonder Howe many pages this will go before someone in a community full of gear heads will cop to being a gear head?

:)

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wonder Howe many pages this will go before someone in a community full of gear heads will cop to being a gear head?

Tim

I'm wondering the same thing......

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
What is music?

It's a message, an expression, a revelation, an emotion, a series of it, musical notes from various musical instruments and more ...

Peace? For me yes. And Peace is some kind of Audio Nirvana, but at many other levels too.
From all our senses and the spirit of our soul. Like a heartbeat from ecstasy ....

Steve Williams

My dear doctor, I am now at a point in my life (for the last twelve years or so) that my full realisation about living happy is finally upon me. I enjoy listening to the music mostly for what it is than what it can be. But still always willing to upgrade my electronics to follow the flow of the technical advancements in music high resolution recordings.

I am certainly not stubborn in my addiction, but there nonetheless. And always listening & enjoying.
Age does that to you I believe. And I am convinced that I'm not alone.

Complex? You want complex doc? What kind of complex?
Because there are many kinds of complexities, but at the end they are truly simple. :b

* Here's one for you Steve!
=> Ask a question that is so precise and clear that the answer is already in its interrogation point!

** Here's a better one!
==> Say what you say, and tell it like you said, and just wait for a reply.
Expect the unexpected, and suspect the unsuspected, but always respect even the unrestricted.

*** Another one!
===> Unravel life's entanglement. In particular with Audio.

...At the end I can only express my own 'soulstream'.
My words are my own, and my readings are universal ...
We do and say what we believe, and that's who we are ...
And the music is still playing ...

Bob

I don't have a clue as to what you are trying to say. :confused:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Tim

How about right now? I'm a gear head.:)

I have a thing for phono cartridges, amplifiers and tubes of which I have a few that rotate duties. I see myself adding a high wattage tube amp (jury is still out) or refurbishing the one I have. The cartridge collection I believe will continue to grow. They are such fascinating devices.

Sonically, I'm very satisfied. I can go from measured neutral to my personal euphony limits (which isn't actually too far from neutral) in 15mins or so if I have another pair of hands to help. I really enjoy shuffling things around because I love finding cause and effect. Admittedly, if I were to put this into percentages of time spent on the hobby, I doubt this twiddling would even reach 10%. "Serious" listening happens when I twiddle. By that I mean I have my critical hat on. 90% of the time, I'm just chilling out alone or with company. My favorite companions are my kids when they dance and frolic to classical music on the shaggy carpet. :)

I guess I don't twiddle much at home because mainly, I've got the big issues like acoustics and placement done. I also get to twiddle client's systems which is always fun and scratches the itch nicely.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I listen music many hours per week, maybe 3 hrs average per day, but also enjoy looking after the best components to fullfil this passion, I have up-sized and down-sized my system at least four times in 35 years (I started early at 15), for several reasons that also included some financial distress.

Answering your question Steve, I think I belong 60% to the first group and 40% to the second one ( just a rough guess) leaning to one side or the other depending on circumstances that sometimes are out of my control.

Right now I am trying to have all my sources properly installed, when done (2H12) I will finalize my room treatment project and of course continue chasing great sounding music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing