What's the best Mono cartridge?

Satch

May 16, 2010
Cocoa Beach, Fl.
Hi All,

It's been a while, so if this has already been covered please direct me to the proper link.

I just hooked up a new Shelter 501 mk II Mono cartridge and started listening to some of the mono albums in my collection. I was stunned at how good these albums sound with a good mono cartridge.

I'm running a SME Model 10 turntable with the Model 10 arm which I'm told is just like the SME 309 arm. It has a detachable headshell. I bought an extra headshell and mounted the Shelter 501 mono cart.

The Manley Steelhead Phono Preamp I'm using has a switch for mono called "Sum" and seems to work pretty good.

My stereo cartridge is the Shelter 501 mk II Stereo cartridge. Now I can swap out mono/stereo cartridges without a whole lot of fuss.

Anybody else out there having fun with mono? (cartridges)

Ray

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Huge fan of mono. I am very happy using a Miyajima Premium BE on a Durand Talea but I'd love to hear what others are using, especially if you've compared to other mono cartridges.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Anybody else out there having fun with mono? (cartridges)
Ray

Indeed, a interesting Chapter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing