Allnic L4000 and H3000

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Slipknot is predicting upgrades for the Allnic linehttp://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1320000727&/Allnic-H3000-phonostage

I don't know if this is the pre-transformer updated H3000 or there is another update coming down the pike. I wrote Joe to see which it was :) I haven't heard anything from the manufacturer and would have thought would since am writing a review on the unit--plus shortly the Puritas cartridge.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have the H-3000, was mostly interested in your take on the M-3000 mono blocks.

I have seen the M-3000s are now using the KT120 - considering the improvement this tube can operate in Audio Research amplifiers these must be good news.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What house sound is Allnic- is it like Shindo?
Great question...someone please help those of us who have not heard, but only read good things. Thanks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Slipknot is predicting upgrades for the Allnic linehttp://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1320000727&/Allnic-H3000-phonostage

That turns out to be a pre-transformer updated unit and Joe's replacing it with the H3000V model.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
OK. Thanks Myles>

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Pics

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I obtained an H3000 a few weeks ago, and am still breaking it in. I am reluctant to pass judgment for that reason, and the fact that my usual line stage (a Lamm L2) is out of commission right now- the substitute line stage I am using simply doesn't have the midrange resolution of the L2. But, based on what I am hearing in a compromised set-up, the H3000 sounds very immediate and at the same time, not 'forced' or harsh, and the spatial qualities, which have been mentioned in some of the reviews, are quite evident, even in these circumstances. I am looking forward to using this unit -it invites you to keep playing records late into the night, which is a good sign.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
High-end is full of biases, some built on previous experiences, others just due to word of mouth, reading and irrational reasons, such as sympathy towards the designer, dealer of the aspect of the equipment.
It is important we acknowledge it, because it is a way of avoiding the expectation biases influences when making choices and judgements.

All this just to tell I would love to listen to an all Allnic system playing the Aida's. I never listened to any Allnic system, but it is a brand that really attracts my curiosity.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
thanks Micro. I can't offer you a full Allnic system to listen to, but if you get my way (NYC area, eventually Austin Tx) you are welcome to come liisten to the phono stage. My only request is that you bring me one of those delicious roasted chickens with piri-piri sauce from that place- Roi de Pollo?- in Lisbon. I have fond memories of that city.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My Lamm line stage (L2) is now fixed and will be back in the system later today. I am looking forward to listening to the Allnic with the Lamm. More as it happens.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I finally got the L2 line stage back and warmed up; in combination with the Allnic H3000, it is conveying dimensions of information that I never heard on this system before. It is not a question of detail or resolution, but the ability to hear the individual instruments in their own space, with more spatial character and more dynamics specific to the particular instruments. Often, a good system, particularly one using tubes, is described by its ability to 'image' and create a three dimensional quality; but what is happening here is far more than that: rather than everything sharing the same dimension, there is far more individual size and placement of the instruments in space, rather than an image or stage that is all of the same size, depth and dimension. (if that makes any sense). it is not 'hyperdetail' by any means, but simply more information being retrieved and returned without constriction. I have never loved the bass on the Avantgarde Duos, partly because of discontinuity with the horns and partly because they sounded a little one-note-ish- good hi-fi, in the sense that you could crank them up and get that impressive bass 'slam' but it didn't sound real and made the discontinuity with the horns more apparent; or back off the woofer levels and have a system that just didn't have very much bass. (I'll grant that this may be heavily room dependent and while I have worked on set-up, relative phase and some acoustic treatment, i've never gotten beyond those extremes except to compromise them to one degree or another). With the Allnic-Lamm combo, the bass is now prodigious and has far more tone- still not to the level I'd ideally like but far more like real music, not hi-fi. And the discontinuity is much less apparent). One other interesting attribute: the horns would get shouty sometimes on dynamic material, and now they are not exhibiting that- the system sounds far less constrained- I think the Steelhead, despite very good tubes, was compressing things- and the system is louder on dynamic passages. I don't normally play this system at ear splitting levels, I'm more interested in capturing as much information as I can at lower volumes and then setting the volume for a 'natural' playback level for given program material. (I like small combo music with female vocal, as an example).
Although I'm describing dissected parts, rather than the musical whole, what this all adds up to is a much more cohesive, engaging sound that has startled me, and made me giddy with the uncanny quality of its 'thereness.'
One other thing- I'm digging out lot's of good, non-audiophile records (oh, i have my share of the usual suspects, but I was enjoying the hell out of an old Phoebe Snow Shelter pressing, the original Janis Ian record that has '17' on it ('Between the Lines') and JT on CBS/Sony.
I bought thousands of records in the 80's and 90's, and never had time to listen to most of them. I bought the collection of an old, dear friend who passed away in the early 90's and never really got a chance to dig into all the early stereo, Verve, Japanese pressings, and other gems he had. Now, I'm having a field day! Granted, I have more time to do this, since I just semi-retired, but it's sorta like losing 50 lbs and realizing you have a whole wardrobe you've never worn.
In short, I am delighted with the Allnic- I have a selection of various vintage rectifiers- am currently using a the first series Mullard fat base, but have a host of others I will try as time goes on.
Soon, if the real estate gods are kind, my house will be sold and I will pack everything up and start from scratch in a new room. That's gonna be an interesting project, to say the least.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Whart, I also have a H3000 and like it very much. I am currently using a RCA 5U4G rectifier. The stock rectifier was to soft sounding for my taste. I also have a GE 5U4G and it has more control than the RCA but can be a little agressive in my system. I would like to hear your thoughts on the differences between the recitifiers you have on hand when you get a chance.

Regards,

Sean

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Sean, it would be my pleasure. I swapped out the Chinese tube that came with the unit about 50 hours in, and before I got the Lamm line stage back into the system. I ran an old Tung-Sol for a while too, and it sounded very good, but still before the Lamm returned. Currently running the fat base Mullard first series- not a cheap tube- and the Allnic, in combination with the Lamm line stage (with the ML2 amps into my horns) is absolutely glorious. This system has never sounded better. I'm gonna run the Mullard for a while, then try the RCA. I also have an old Mullard GZ-37, which is I think a 'skinny' bottle, not a 'big bottle' that I haven't yet listened to.
The system is so addictively musical right now, I start a listening session and have to be pulled away! It was by no means fatiguing before, but the system just didn't engage me to anywhere this degree. Rather than listening to records that sound good, and avoiding those that don't, I'm pulling out record after record and listening to the performances, the beauty of the music, and being sucked into the experience. Sure, some records sound better than others (some sound way better), but those are of less importance. And sure, the system still has limitations- every system has some compromises where the man behind the curtain is evident, i.e. the illusion that is sometimes magical collapses, but the musicality can carry me beyond this.
And, in the process, I am, as i think I mentioned, sometimes absolutely startled and enjoying the hell out of the variety of stuff that's spinning on my turntable.

NB. My only caveat to quick reportage is that we are in the process of selling our house, and may be in transition for a period until I am fully set up again. So, you may have to be patient, to the extent my views may have any value.
Can you PM me and let me know what phono stage you were using before? I don't necessarily want to turn this into a dump on X brand or model thing.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sean, it would be my pleasure. I swapped out the Chinese tube that came with the unit about 50 hours in, and before I got the Lamm line stage back into the system. I ran an old Tung-Sol for a while too, and it sounded very good, but still before the Lamm returned. Currently running the fat base Mullard first series- not a cheap tube- and the Allnic, in combination with the Lamm line stage (with the ML2 amps into my horns) is absolutely glorious. This system has never sounded better. I'm gonna run the Mullard for a while, then try the RCA. I also have an old Mullard GZ-37, which is I think a 'skinny' bottle, not a 'big bottle' that I haven't yet listened to.
The system is so addictively musical right now, I start a listening session and have to be pulled away! It was by no means fatiguing before, but the system just didn't engage me to anywhere this degree. Rather than listening to records that sound good, and avoiding those that don't, I'm pulling out record after record and listening to the performances, the beauty of the music, and being sucked into the experience. Sure, some records sound better than others (some sound way better), but those are of less importance. And sure, the system still has limitations- every system has some compromises where the man behind the curtain is evident, i.e. the illusion that is sometimes magical collapses, but the musicality can carry me beyond this.
And, in the process, I am, as i think I mentioned, sometimes absolutely startled and enjoying the hell out of the variety of stuff that's spinning on my turntable.

NB. My only caveat to quick reportage is that we are in the process of selling our house, and may be in transition for a period until I am fully set up again. So, you may have to be patient, to the extent my views may have any value.
Can you PM me and let me know what phono stage you were using before? I don't necessarily want to turn this into a dump on X brand or model thing.

I didn't like the Mullard GZ37. Whispy sounding, lack of depth, thin and bright. Yes it was broken in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing