DSD to Vinyl Recordings

billh

Nov 12, 2011
I recently ordered ABKO's 180 gram reissue of the Stones' BIG HITS LP. I was surprised to see DSD markings on the cover. Am I to assume the LP was cut from a DSD master rather than the original analog master tapes? If so, it seems very odd to me for a producer/publisher to take a DIGITAL master and make it into a VINYL or ANALOG copy for distribution. If they are distributing it on SACD in DSD I can understand this but to produce DSD to VINYL seems a bit odd. I thought the whole reason for vinyl was to preserve the analog signal. Is this the future of analog/vinyl? Storing things in DSD or some other digital format and have it converted to analog on LP? Am I going to have to start verifying the vinyl was cut from an analog master before I purchase?

It is bad enough that SACD and DVD-A recordings are a mess as far as what they were converted from (Upconverted CD, 2 channel downmixes, etc.) but I am not familiar with vinyl cut from DSD masters. Sort of disappointing especially when I pay $40 for 180 gram vinyl when the SACD is only $25.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I recently ordered ABKO's 180 gram reissue of the Stones' BIG HITS LP. I was surprised to see DSD markings on the cover. Am I to assume the LP was cut from a DSD master rather than the original analog master tapes? If so, it seems very odd to me for a producer/publisher to take a DIGITAL master and make it into a VINYL or ANALOG copy for distribution. If they are distributing it on SACD in DSD I can understand this but to produce DSD to VINYL seems a bit odd. I thought the whole reason for vinyl was to preserve the analog signal. Is this the future of analog/vinyl? Storing things in DSD or some other digital format and have it converted to analog on LP? Am I going to have to start verifying the vinyl was cut from an analog master before I purchase?

It is bad enough that SACD and DVD-A recordings are a mess as far as what they were converted from (Upconverted CD, 2 channel downmixes, etc.) but I am not familiar with vinyl cut from DSD masters. Sort of disappointing especially when I pay $40 for 180 gram vinyl when the SACD is only $25.

Good luck with that! The lack of information on how the material was sourced is one of my biggest pet peeves with vinyl reissues. I've written to labels asking for it, but have yet to receive an answer from any of them. Pretty lame if you ask me.

billh

Nov 12, 2011
Glad someone agrees with me. I am feeling a little duped.

The LP sounds OK but I compared it to my original sixties LP and it doesn't come close. Yeah, the pops and hiss are gone and the detail may be a bit better but not anything like I was expecting.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The LP sounds OK but I compared it to my original sixties LP and it doesn't come close. Yeah, the pops and hiss are gone and the detail may be a bit better but not anything like I was expecting.

Out of interest, is your original the London (USA) or Decca (UK) pressing??

billh

Nov 12, 2011
It is the London pressing.

The London pressing is not a great recording sonically when compared to something like the Parlophone Beatles pressings of that era but some songs are really good.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The Stone's early recordings are exactly known as sonic masterpieces but IME, the Deccas generally tend to be much better than the London pressings. The differences range from huge i.e."Beggar's Banquet" to minor i.e. "Let It Bleed"

billh

Nov 12, 2011
We're getting a bit off topic but the UK pressings in general that I have heard do sound better. I have some DERAM recordings of "Ten Years After" which sound great, sonically. Wish I could find copies in pristine condition. I have had mine since they came out in the late 60's and I wasn't always vigilant in taking care of them back in my youth. A little marijuana smoke shouldn't hurt anything, should it? (Don't answer - that is rhetorical and deep.:D)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have some DERAM Ten Years After as well, and I concur.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Sorry about the thread drift --

A little marijuana smoke shouldn't hurt anything, should it?

It's not the smoke that damages the grooves, it's the seeds man...

billh

Nov 12, 2011
Groovy......

Getting back on track here, I guess it is safe to say we cannot assume a tape to vinyl transfer for all vinyl even if it doesn't day digital transfer or DSD anywhere on the cover? I mean, even if it states REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL ANALOG TAPES (or something to that effect) it could be recorded from tape but saved to DSD and then cut to vinyl.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing