Bookshelf or Floorstanders in a small room?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I heard the gem2 had no bass, is that correct Amir? cuts off around 60hz. Have you heard the oiginal? I really want to be blown away my my new speakers, if you know what I mean.
I have only heard the Gems in surround situation and it is hard to judge bass performance there. They were designed to be shallow though so likely the bass suffers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Haha, I just stopped by your store earlier to see if they were in but it looks like they have not arrived yet. Can't wait to check them out.
:) We just ordered them prior to Christmas. They have two production runs, one in December and one in January. I don't know if we got into the December one or not. But hopefully we did!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,
I was looking at the gems, 1&2, hadn't thought of the performa. Think they can compare? Room is probably too small for the studio's?
While the components are more value oriented in Performa, the new waveguide technology is brand new. I was told the tweeter performance comes close to Salons! What I heard was just amazingly good for $1,700 speaker.

On Studios, I would not let the room size stop me from going in that direction.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You guys twins? :):p

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Reviving this thread as I am in a similar situation. I have an 11.5*13.5*8 carpeted room. I currenly have VPI ARIES/RubyH/Pass Alephono/NaimNAC82/Supercap/Nap250 system running either Revel M20's or B&W Naut 805's. I am very happy with the sound, but feel I am due for a speaker upgrade. Rock/pop/jazz in that order. Mostly vinyl. I am getting occasional sibilants, and treble harshness, looking for a significant upgrade. Not sure about stand vs floor. Looking for significant upgrade suggestions, and speaker size goals given the room size. I could go to 8k used.

for a small room check out the joseph audio pulsar stand mount and perspective floor stander ($7k and $11K). i spent the better part of a year and a half auditioning small speakers to ~$20k and settled on the pulsar. these are special and have been in my system the last 6-mos. The bass response is astonishing for their size and i feel no inclination to 'upgrade' the speakers with a sub.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm going to read up on these models, see if I can hear them. Though I really think you never know what you have till you hook it up to your own system, in your room. You really think the studios would work in a 11.5*13.5 room?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
in my 2nd system in a small room i use stirling broadcast ls3/5a & atohm gt one
both work well in a small room

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've been described as a "female version" of Gary... the remark was then quickly qualified a compliment. :)

Haha! Very good! For the record...I am a twin...my sister lives in Calgary!

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Small tops or floorstanders that work on short listening distances. Plus at least two subs. And try to eliminate the side wall reflections, but a room that small needs treatment on more accounts. I'd try treating to so it became less square, 4 inches could do wonders when you're close to same measurements.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
for a small room check out the joseph audio pulsar stand mount and perspective floor stander ($7k and $11K). i spent the better part of a year and a half auditioning small speakers to ~$20k and settled on the pulsar. these are special and have been in my system the last 6-mos. The bass response is astonishing for their size and i feel no inclination to 'upgrade' the speakers with a sub.

Hi Rob,

I've never heard these two models myself as of yet. I've heard their Pearl and was very impressed. I'm curious, what size room are you using the Pulsars in? How far from the back wall are they? How close to the back wall do you think you could use the Pulsars?

Thank you!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Back about 10-12yr. ago, after a divorce, I got a pair of Joseph RM25si. I think it's called the RM25XL now. That is an amazing speaker.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Hi Rob,

I've never heard these two models myself as of yet. I've heard their Pearl and was very impressed. I'm curious, what size room are you using the Pulsars in? How far from the back wall are they? How close to the back wall do you think you could use the Pulsars?

Thank you!

my room is 12' x 18' with a vaulted ceiling thats 8' high on the short wall that ascends to 12' over my listening position. the total space is actually larger because the left side opens to a hallway and theres a split level dining room directly behind me.

i have the speakers about 3' from the short wall and i'm seated about 9-10' in front of them. their sensitivity is low at 83 db, a good 100 wpc amp is plenty in my system. i was going through my recent vinyl acquisitions today and i broke out witches' brew, the tam o'shanter cut left me slack-jawed. their 'big sound' never ceases to amaze me.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
my room is 12' x 18' with a vaulted ceiling thats 8' high on the short wall that ascends to 12' over my listening position. the total space is actually larger because the left side opens to a hallway and theres a split level dining room directly behind me.

i have the speakers about 3' from the short wall and i'm seated about 9-10' in front of them. their sensitivity is low at 83 db, a good 100 wpc amp is plenty in my system. i was going through my recent vinyl acquisitions today and i broke out witches' brew, the tam o'shanter cut left me slack-jawed. their 'big sound' never ceases to amaze me.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you have a great room to enjoy your music in. I figured that with the speaker having the rear port, you'd need some distance from the wall behind the speakers.

I love the Witches Brew recording too. It can really excite the goosebumps!

Best regards,
No regrets

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Well I went for the Joseph Audio Perspectives, they should be here Monday! Any suggestions for set up and use?

Jeff

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Well I went for the Joseph Audio Perspectives, they should be here Monday! Any suggestions for set up and use?

Jeff

yes, congrats! They're like the Pulsar augmented with an extra woofer, should be as easy to place. id start with the same location you had your M20/805s and go from there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing