Bookshelf or Floorstanders in a small room?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My dedicated 2Ch audio room is very small, measuring only 10x11, and I've often wondered if I wouldn't be better served with higher quality bookshelf monitors as opposed to my Totem Sttaf floorstanders. I ask the question, not because I'm dissatisfied, but only out of interest. I've seen examples of both types being used and was wondering what your thoughts were.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like bookshelf monitors even in medium sized rooms, most frequently they do best at their specified frequency range (that is why I have Avalon Ascents :) )

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I like bookshelf monitors even in medium sized rooms, most frequently they do best at their specified frequency range (that is why I have Avalon Ascents :) )

I see some Totem Model One's come up at times for a decent price, and I've often been tempted.

Is there something specific about cabinet size that makes a good quality bookshelf a better choice?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't think there is any room size limitation to smalls speakers. The only issue is low frequency reproduction. Pair them up with 2-4 subs plus appropriate equalization and it should sound fantastic.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, my dedicated listening room is about the same size as yours....in most parts of the world it would be considered a closet:D Not here in S.Calif for some reason..;)

Anyhow, to get to your question:cool:, I had experimented with various speakers in this room prior to my acquisition of my SF's. I had inserted large Hales, Maggies, Quads, Magicos and Focals and realized that the floor standers were typically not the best match for the room size. The amount of real estate that we have available dictates the placement of the speakers and if nothing else, the floor standers which are usually larger, did not leave enough rear space to the back wall to allow for much depth reproduction.
IF you like a larger sense of space and a bigger rendition of the stage (like I do), then you will need to separate the speakers as much as possible, not just from themselves, but IMO from all walls. As i posted in another thread, the 'art' of this hobby is to seemingly match your speakers to your room......i.e. "horses for courses" which is very much more difficult than most people would realize. At least, IMHO.:)

I would therefore recommend that you try a 'bookshelf' size speaker or a stand mount speaker, and see if it gives you the results that you are hoping for. In my instance, that was the way to go:cool:.

I also agree within what Amir said above....Not necessarily 2-4 subs as this could overload the room, but in my instance at least one(1) sub.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm with amir on the bass extension. Isn't the Staff a floorstanding 2 way? I can think of some floor standers with lotsa lotsa drivers that can't hit 45Hz even at +/- 6dB in room. I can think of a couple of bookshelves that can. Personally I like floor standing two ways. They do what monitors do well, save the hassle of getting an appropriate stand, the added cabinet volume usually means they have a wider latitude when it comes to port tuning. Sad fact is that seeing lots of drivers sell even when a two way monitor or tower can do the same thing and get better integration in close quarters. This makes this form factor few and far between. Reminds me a speaker I had in college. The manufacturer slapped a passive radiator AND the same port on it, I think just because that passive radiator would make it look like a three way and sell better. I got suckered! LOL.

I like the twin sub option too. Just make sure it's got a lot of tuning flexibility like a secondary PEQ. Rythmik plate amps come to mind.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just came across it and had a thought. I was visiting a friend in Chicago about a month ago and was able to listen to his system. It was an all Naim system from source to speakers. What amazed me was that he was using the Naim SL2's which were designed to be used up close to the wall that resides behind the speaker and was mated with Naim Subs.

This was the first time that I heard subs that were integrated seamlessly with the main speakers. Amazingly, there was a soundstage, and the speakers had great tone. The tenor sax sounded as if it were right there in the room. It had great dynamics, full extended range, and great sound. It can be hard to get all of that in a small room, but being able to use speakers that are designed to be used up against the wall might be just the ticket for a smaller room.

Otherwise, I would look for a well made, sealed (not ported) bookshelf speaker.

Warmest regards,
No Regrets

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'd tend to side with the small speaker/subs combo. It'll be very hard to get good bass in a small room with the placement options you have for soundstage/imaging with floorstander "full-ranges"(it would probably just be lucky if it worked OK). The flexibility you'd gain would be considerable.

Lee

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The advantages of 2-way monitors and subs-- better driver coherence at close distances, point source imaging, less crossover noise, distortion and phase interference, and volume, crossover frequency and placement control of bass will all be more important in smaller spaces (except for the crossover distortions, which are important anywhere). The advantage of multi-driver floor-standers -- possibly higher spls from more drivers, won't be important in a small room.

So yes, in a small listening room, I'd say, in general, that a 10x10 room would be better served by monitors/sub(s). But back to the OP, I'm not sure the Totems are much different than two ways on stands. Maybe a bit more bass extension from cabinet volume. But if its not causing room problems that could be addressed by crossing over to a well-placed sub at a higher frequency, no worries. John if you're thinking about going to 2-way stand mounts, think about active. Lots of advantages.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The advantages of 2-way monitors and subs-- better driver coherence at close distances, point source imaging, less crossover noise, distortion and phase interference, and volume, crossover frequency and placement control of bass will all be more important in smaller spaces (except for the crossover distortions, which are important anywhere). The advantage of multi-driver floor-standers -- possibly higher spls from more drivers, won't be important in a small room.

So yes, in a small listening room, I'd say, in general, that a 10x10 room would be better served by monitors/sub(s). But back to the OP, I'm not sure the Totems are much different than two ways on stands. Maybe a bit more bass extension from cabinet volume. But if its not causing room problems that could be addressed by crossing over to a well-placed sub at a higher frequency, no worries. John if you're thinking about going to 2-way stand mounts, think about active. Lots of advantages.

Tim

I agree, and it isn't causing any problems as far as I can tell. I was more or less thinking out loud as I heard some outstanding monitors (passive though) at last year's TAVE Show and it got my curiosity up.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Reviving this thread as I am in a similar situation. I have an 11.5*13.5*8 carpeted room. I currenly have VPI ARIES/RubyH/Pass Alephono/NaimNAC82/Supercap/Nap250 system running either Revel M20's or B&W Naut 805's. I am very happy with the sound, but feel I am due for a speaker upgrade. Rock/pop/jazz in that order. Mostly vinyl. I am getting occasional sibilants, and treble harshness, looking for a significant upgrade. Not sure about stand vs floor. Looking for significant upgrade suggestions, and speaker size goals given the room size. I could go to 8k used.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm reviewing 3 sets of monitors/subs for Stereomojo now and have never heard the soundstage and imaging this good. My EA MM3's are nowhere this good.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm reviewing 3 sets of monitors/subs for Stereomojo now and have never heard the soundstage and imaging this good. (...)

Even with the X-2? ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Reviving this thread as I am in a similar situation. I have an 11.5*13.5*8 carpeted room. I currenly have VPI ARIES/RubyH/Pass Alephono/NaimNAC82/Supercap/Nap250 system running either Revel M20's or B&W Naut 805's. I am very happy with the sound, but feel I am due for a speaker upgrade. Rock/pop/jazz in that order. Mostly vinyl. I am getting occasional sibilants, and treble harshness, looking for a significant upgrade. Not sure about stand vs floor. Looking for significant upgrade suggestions, and speaker size goals given the room size. I could go to 8k used.
If you liked the Revel, then there is a brand new Performa3 series that has started to ship. The replacement for M20 is mind boggling good. They have a patented design tool for shaping the waveguide that nicely controls directivity. The enclosure are gorgeous (no longer boxy looking) and the prices quite reasonable. Here is the line up:http://www.revelspeakers.com/Products/Details/222

BTW, my company carries the Revel line so you may want to read the above as an advertorial :).

hiroshige

Feb 13, 2011
If you liked the Revel, then there is a brand new Performa3 series that has started to ship. The replacement for M20 is mind boggling good. They have a patented design tool for shaping the waveguide that nicely controls directivity. The enclosure are gorgeous (no longer boxy looking) and the prices quite reasonable. Here is the line up:http://www.revelspeakers.com/Products/Details/222

BTW, my company carries the Revel line so you may want to read the above as an advertorial :).

Haha, I just stopped by your store earlier to see if they were in but it looks like they have not arrived yet. Can't wait to check them out.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Amir,
I was looking at the gems, 1&2, hadn't thought of the performa. Think they can compare? Room is probably too small for the studio's?

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I heard the gem2 had no bass, is that correct Amir? cuts off around 60hz. Have you heard the oiginal? I really want to be blown away my my new speakers, if you know what I mean.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing