Audeeva Con Brio music server

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I was perusing the CES coverage and noticed a 6-figure music server.

Does anyone know how a music server can cost so much and what performance enhancements it can bring for this kind of price?

Note- no DAC is included in the price.

:confused:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If that was the one Alon had in his room which I heard at Computer Audio Show 2 years ago it is not commercially available although Alon said one could be built for consumers but will cost $60-80K

If that was the one it was a three box system

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks for the link Jeff.

I will be totally frank that I don't get it or understand the point. The 8mb software/algorithm can't be worth the price (doesn't Sooloos, a premium product, do it for less than 10k?) and I can't imagine ICBM aluminum sounds much different to normal folks. Spending 800 hours on a case doesn't seem where I would like my money spent in a product.

but as always, YMMV.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I will be totally frank that I don't get it or understand the point. The 8mb software/algorithm can't be worth the price (doesn't Sooloos, a premium product, do it for less than 10k?) and I can't imagine ICBM aluminum sounds much different to normal folks. Spending 800 hours on a case doesn't seem where I would like my money spent in a product.

but as always, YMMV.

The key question remains : Does it sound better than Garry's "Music Server"? The one, anyone with a modicum of computer skill and some patience can build for less than $500 .. or even less if one uses the last iteration Toshiba's laptop... These unfortunately are not built with ICBM aluminum and would not take 800 hours to configure ... And it will "just" use foobar (regrettably free) and an iPad (too bad it is less than $1000 for the top of the line) to control and enjoy anybody's music collection ...:confused:

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010

but as always, YMMV.

In this case, it's not a product -- not really for sale -- so I don't think there is any imperative to explain or justify anything. Could someone convince them to build one for them? Maybe, but my guess is no. This was simply for a manufacturer to use for testing and showcasing their retail products. People saw it and began discussing it and the man behind it. Hence the interview (and not a product review).

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010

but as always, YMMV.

I guess the point with this is it's an experiment to see what happens if you build a computer audio platform without the constraints of price (or for that matter, sales-worthiness). Writing code is very cheap if the code ends up being bought by a million, but costs a fortune if it's just a personal project.

Does the aluminium casing matter? Will it improve the sound? Who knows? And that's the point. Right now, possibly the only person who knows for certain is the guy who made this server and anyone he made one for (if they bothered to compare and contrast). Only they can say for sure whether it helps, and whether it helps enough to justify production engineering a product. If it does make a difference and someone can manage to make one for $1,000 instead of $100,000, isn't that ultimately a good thing?

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Alon did tell me that Matan would build one for interested parties but anticipated a strike price of $60K-$80K

I think that's probably as much to disuade someone from asking as trying to actually sell one at that price.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing