Purchased some new Magnepan 1.7s!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Got the new Maggies a couple of weeks ago to replace my 1.6s. They are very fine sounding panels, a step change above the 1.6s I had for over ten years. I got the silver aluminum stiles with the upgraded black sock.

There is much more clarity and openness (crossover parts do matter) and there is more stable imaging (the panel is more stable too.

Right now I am running them on a Forte amp by Nelson Pass until my Audio Research VT-100 is retrofitted with the new KT120 tubes ARC has gone to. Expecting more bass, better mids, and more reliability.

I listen to a lot to more expensive speakers and these $2K definitely sound more along the lines of a $10K+ speaker.

I'm very happy. They are still breaking in which I suspect will go on for 3-5 months, based on the 1.6s and my prior IIIas.

It's pretty clear though that the ribbon technology has take the Maggies to a new level.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Nice to hear (no pun intended)! Per my other thread, I am afraid my old IIIa's are not going to hold out too much longer (had them since 1988), and will probably be doing some listening this summer. The new QR panels seem a major step up, and hopefully the thinner conductors and new manufacturing process will circumvent the dreaded wire separation issues the older panels suffer from. I have heard nothing but good about the new panels, enjoy!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Don, check out the 3.7s as well. Just make sure you have some big amps. :)

Reactions: rascs

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hey Lee,

I am considering the 3.7 or 20.7, and perhaps Rogersound or another electrostat.

Amp is big but cheap, Emotiva XPA-2 (500 W/ch into 4 ohms).

I'm afraid to go listen and hear what I'm missing since I am satisfied with my old Maggies for now! - Don

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The 1.7's are superb speakers - congratulations... interested to hear more details on their sound when they break in.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had 1.6QRs for three years and really liked them. I heard the 1.7s at the local dealers and agree that they really are a step (more like two) above their older brother. Congratulations Lee :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I listen to a lot to more expensive speakers and these $2K definitely sound more along the lines of a $10K+ speaker.

Hi Lee,
My feelings exactly after all these years of owning a pair of Maggie 2.7QRs. Their openness and effortless 'disappearing act' have been the traits that endears them to me. And to get such qualities from modern day dynamic speakers, $10,000 plus would be the minimum starting point, imo. Great value speakers. It's hard to move away from them after living with one. Congrats on your upgrade.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Congrats Lee! I took delivery of a pair of 1.7's last July. They are amazing sounding speakers. You always read reviewers scribe sentiments that this or that product is worth X-times more than its cost. Well, in the case of the 1.7's it's really REALLY true. From the time I originally auditioned them in my dealers showroom to the time I took delivery was an agonizingly long period. Best money in Hi-Fi that I have ever spent and I mean that most sincerely.

Are you using the supplied resistors?

Summa

Feb 1, 2012
North Georgia, USA
Thanks Fred :)

I haven't heard the 3.7s, and that's by design! lol Based on what I've heard ABOUT them, it would be very bad news for my bank account if I were to hear them in person. Quite honestly, I would not even need to hear them to purchase...I know that Wendell Diller and the gang are typically very strict about making sure that even the average Joe (or Jane) can discern an improvement in a new design before they will supplant the older one. I have no idea that the 3.7s would be worth every penny, and that they would out-perform the 3.6s in nearly every area (save for maybe aesthetics lol).

How bout you?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
1.7s update: They really sound wonderful but they do take a while to break in. Moreso than the 1.6s, the 1.7s not only improve on bass around the 300 hour mark, the highs lose their brightness. So the balance is really good now.

An dynamite deal for $2K. I will be finally fixing my ARC tube amp soon and upgrading to KT120s so better sound is on the horizon with this additional power as well.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Good to hear, but that is a very long break-in period! Last time I measured, decades ago, there was no measurable change after about the 100-hour mark. I wonder if the QR construction takes longer? Curious - Don

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Bass is much better and the highs have settled down to more or less neutral. I'm very, very satisfied with the sound.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Hi Lee,
My feelings exactly after all these years of owning a pair of Maggie 2.7QRs. Their openness and effortless 'disappearing act' have been the traits that endears them to me. And to get such qualities from modern day dynamic speakers, $10,000 plus would be the minimum starting point, imo. Great value speakers. It's hard to move away from them after living with one. Congrats on your upgrade.

I know what you mean. I have the 2.7s as well...along with a pair of RCA LC1As. Between those two I really wouldn't know where to go to replace them because they both do what they do so well. The TADs are nice, though. Still, if I get a pair of them, I'll keep the others. That's my biggest problem; I never get rid of anything.

JRD

Dec 6, 2012
You probably already know this - but if you want even more dynamic range - get a set of Mye Stands. The improvement is not small. Enjoy the 1.7's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing