May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Cool! I never did understand the American preoccupation with NASCAR. I mean, I like motorsports but there's not much more boring than watching cars just turn left for lap upon lap. But F1 and rallying: now we're talkin'!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Cool! I never did understand the American preoccupation with NASCAR. I mean, I like motorsports but there's not much more boring than watching cars just turn left for lap upon lap. But F1 and rallying: now we're talkin'!

I agree, Formula one is the absolute pinnacle in racing. To hear those cars rev to over 10,000 rpm must be heard to be appreciated. While Indy is a great track,it was never intended for formula one.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Was at the Canadian Grand Prix 3 years running and it was amazing......glad to see Montreal is back this year as well!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Yes, Austin Texas has been named the new home for Formula 1 racing in the US. A dedicated track is to be built to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

YES!

Now why not in Miami ? :)

Willing to make the trip .. Will also try to see the MotoGP at Laguna Seca in California ... If you think Formula 1 is fun wait until you watch a Moto Grand Prix .. Competition is real but real fierce ...They even have the equivalent of MJ, Valentino Rossi.. This kid is amazing doing things no one has done and in pace to surpass the records set by King Ago (Giacomo Agostini)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I agree Frantz MotoGP is great fun to watch because lead changes and passing are frequent.

WRC is my favorite and F1 next in line. It's great to see F1 back in the states in a proper track. Indy wasn't a good fit.

As for NASCAR, heck I'd watch it live any chance I could get. Terrible to watch on TV though. I believe the saying is that you go to watch the crashes and not the racing. They used to be as frequent as passing in F1 races!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Excellent...another reason to visit Texas!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I can't remember where to find it but there was an audiophile recording of a formula one race. Microphones were placed in and near a hairpin turn . To hear those cars decelerate and then blast out of the turn was bone chilling.

Fo
r example:

Last edited:

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I can't remember where to find it but there was an audiophile recording of a formula one race. Microphones were placed in and near a hairpin turn . To hear those cars decelerate and then blast out of the turn was bone chilling.
Gregg, in the spirit of "live vs. reproduced", waaay back in 1980, we were guests of the CEO of Essex Petroleum (who sponsored Lotus that year) at the Long Beach Grand Prix. Having the ultimate in all-access passes, I spent a considerable portion of the race sitting on the straightaway wall as the cars screamed past a few feet away. Even with the de rigueur earplugs, the sound was out of this world.:eek:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

Thanks for that file. Okay, we can record in both analog and digital, using the same calibrated mic, then reproduce the recordings on our home systems. Since, we'll all be there -- we can compare notes!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Gregg, in the spirit of "live vs. reproduced", waaay back in 1980, we were guests of the CEO of Essex Petroleum (who sponsored Lotus that year) at the Long Beach Grand Prix. Having the ultimate in all-access passes, I spent a considerable portion of the race sitting on the straightaway wall as the cars screamed past a few feet away. Even with the de rigueur earplugs, the sound was out of this world.:eek:

Great Ken. ii thonk they are around 700hp with 0 to 7000 rpm. No muffler.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Make that upwards of 18,000 rpm Greg.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I attended the last F1 race that was held at Indy and it was pretty cool (not the temperature though, it was super hot that day). I have also attended a Nascar Brickyard race. F1 cars sound like angry bees buzzing. Nascar sounds like old fashioned muscle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing