Music forum streamlining!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I want to throw this out to Steve and Amir, but also the Mods and general membership.

Would it make sense to separate out music discussions into Analog (Tape/Vinyl) and Digital (CD, Downloads, SACD). I ask as more often than not when bringing up an album for consideration or that we want to bring attention to, we do so based on a specific format. Inevitably we end end with cross-format discussions which results in someone opining that the "other" format of a release is superior. While that may be true, and while the info is appreciated, it takes away from the format discussion that the thread was started under.

Thanks!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good thought John. I'm leaving for the airport now so give me a day to finish with my CES pix and then work on it

Thanks Steve! Have a safe flight home and looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I want to throw this out to Steve and Amir, but also the Mods and general membership.

Would it make sense to separate out music discussions into Analog (Tape/Vinyl) and Digital (CD, Downloads, SACD). I ask as more often than not when bringing up an album for consideration or that we want to bring attention to, we do so based on a specific format. Inevitably we end end with cross-format discussions which results in someone opining that the "other" format of a release is superior. While that may be true, and while the info is appreciated, it takes away from the format discussion that the thread was started under.

Thanks!

Great idea!
The quality of any thread would be raised with a more focused discussion. Though I don't tire of a good debate it is time wasted filtering through off topic discussion. Steve, think of all time lost in a forum the size of Steve Hoffman's.
I hope that such a division would bring "like minded" individuals together via more a focused thread and not lead to polarization into analog/digital and solid state/tube type camps.
The WBT experience could be enriched.

And Steve, remember that there are Canadians like John72953 and myself could use that time saved for snow shoveling!

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Leslie - Just call me John. The numbers are just my birthdate and it's a pain anyway to look up and see in what order they flow....

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Leslie - Just call me John. The numbers are just my birthdate and it's a pain anyway to look up and see in what order they flow....

I know! I had to edit the post as I entered typed the wrong numbers in. I added an extra six months to your life.
How did it feel? ;-)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I know! I had to edit the post as I entered typed the wrong numbers in. I added an extra six months to your life.
How did it feel? ;-)

Found an extra wrinkle and a few more grey's. But if that's all, then I'm good with it!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Me think...

This is quite complex as there are several different recordings (pressings, masterings) of the same music material...

I don't see the complexity Bob! I'm only asking that the analog and digital works of our favourite music be given their own space without interception from the other camp. We can still discuss the various masterings/pressings of each format within the proper section that I'm suggesting.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think it's a great idea too. Hopefully that will lead to less hurt feelings for those who get offended easily and end up in a snit.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I don't see the complexity Bob! I'm only asking that the analog and digital works of our favourite music be given their own space without interception from the other camp. We can still discuss the various masterings/pressings of each format within the proper section that I'm suggesting.

Gotcha! :b

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Originally Posted by John72953

Hi

If in the name of maintaining the peace we come to a point where we avoid all discussions , we will either become a giant echo chamber or a dead forum ... Either way it may not be the WBF many of us have to come to love and, subsequently frequent continuously... Things don't move and progress is not made with people in complete , utter agreement all the time.. The very idea of dynamism, that is movement , call it progress if you will is that of opposing forces ... Think about electrical motor , they don't run because there is only one pole .. They can't turn if there is only one pole.
The tone of the replies and the idea they convey is what keep a forum alive , even when they are dissenting ... What make IMO this forum great and actually more interesting than many others are the dissenting ideas, the differences. It reflects the founder ethos in many ways: both gentle, enthusiast and polite persons; I would also add both open-minded too, which implies tolerance.
I understand a person not lashing out on someone thread but this idea to separate all things analog to digital is to me the epitome of building an echo chamber...
Again if it is strongly needed in order to preserve what some think is appropriate...Fine .. Go ahead .. And please observe how dynamic these threads (or the forum at large) forum will become ...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi

If in the name of maintaining the peace we come to a point where we avoid all discussions , we will either become a giant echo chamber or a dead forum ... Either way it may not be the WBF many of us have to come to love and, subsequently frequent continuously... Things don't move and progress is not made with people in complete , utter agreement all the time.. The very idea of dynamism, that is movement , call it progress if you will is that of opposing forces ... Think about electrical motor , they don't run because there is only one pole .. They can't turn if there is only one pole.
The tone of the replies and the idea they convey is what keep a forum alive , even when they are dissenting ... What make IMO this forum great and actually more interesting than many others are the dissenting ideas, the differences. It reflects the founder ethos in many ways: both gentle, enthusiast and polite persons; I would also add both open-minded too, which implies tolerance.
I understand a person not lashing out on someone thread but this idea to separate all things analog to digital is to me the epitome of building an echo chamber...
Again if it is strongly needed in order to preserve what some think is appropriate...Fine .. Go ahead .. And please observe how dynamic these threads (or the forum at large) forum will become ...

Frantz

Pick a format...any format! CD
Pick a title...any title! John Lennon: Imagine
How many pressings of this title are there? Probably at least a dozen...and this is where discussion comes in. So you see, I'm not asking to limit discussion, but I am asking that the discussion is format specific. Commenting on the LP release of this album, when clearly the topic is about the CD release is a threadcrap in my opinion. If you view that as contributing positively to the discussion, then I'm sorry, because I don't share that viewpoint.

I'm all for open discussion and have never been a fan of instituting limits, but sometimes it makes sense for the sake of clarity and remaining on track.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
as I read this thread then there seems to be pros and cons

Can those who post say either yes or no to the idea. It was my sense that most people agreed to the concept. Both John and Frantz make valid arguments for their positions

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Unnecessary, so a nay here.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz makes a damn good point, but when I read what John meant, it's not what I originally thought. He just wants to separate the different formats so people know what they are commenting on and I think that's ok.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

I have to say I fully agree with this post - excessive separation could turn WBF in an anechoic chamber!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm with Frantz.

Because it's always easy to bring precision in any threads, any threads from any subjects at all.

* But I see John's viewpoint, and it can be integrated automatically (manually),
just like I said in my above sentence. :b

No big deal at all ...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
John72953 said:
Pick a format...any format! CD
Pick a title...any title! John Lennon: Imagine
How many pressings of this title are there? Probably at least a dozen...and this is where discussion comes in. So you see, I'm not asking to limit discussion, but I am asking that the discussion is format specific. Commenting on the LP release of this album, when clearly the topic is about the CD release is a thread crap in my opinion.
Crystal clear clarity on this, Steve. There really is no grey area IMO.

Regardless of your position or stance, enjoy the music.....on whatever format it is you may desire.

I think I'll respectfully slide out now.........

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing