Amplifier and speaker as a system

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've run the the spectrum of amplifiers and speakers through my lifetime in audio.

I have come to the conclusion that it is important to match the two. This may cause you to be in a situation as in many sitcoms -hot wife average husband. As improbable as it seems, they just seem to work together.

Many facts go into making the wrong decision.
Money,
Bias/prejudice
Desire for prestige
Reviews
Dealers
Ignorance
Limited access... on and on.

In the end "...to thine own ears be true."

On paper it would not appear to be so. But I think the Martin Logan CLS-Moscode 402AU maybe the perfect combination. A good recipe does not mean a thing if it does make a great pudding. It does not mean I have the perfect system. Or that there may not be a better amp for the CLS or that there is not a better speaker for the Moscode. I guess at some point I'll talk about why I prefer cd over vinyl. Since we all listen in analogue what we are talking about is which is the preferred storage medium.

I am not alone in this opinion.
Oneobgyn in his belief Lamm is the perfect amp for his Wilson
Albert Porter matching his VTL with Dali Megaline
NSGARCH with his vintage McIntosh and the CLS II
Miike Lavigne and his Dartzell and EMM 3
Rushton with his Avolons and Atma Sphere MA2

Many of these guys could afford any amp they desire.
I hope to actually pick out some CDs and try to direct you to exactly what I'm hearing.
I've already scheduled a visit with Steve. Hopefully I can to hear all these systems. If not maybe I can catch it a show.
Anybody can comment but I hope this to be my own personal thread where I tell what I m trying to accomplish.

Specifically my goal may be a tad easier than someone who is trying to put a symphony orchestra with a backup choir in the living room. I know Rushton to be quite the classical music fan.
My goal is to recreate a jazz trio or quartet with a singer out front. That may sound easy. I assure you it's not. I want to try and describe exactly what cd I was playing and what I heard. At least then you can get the CD and see if you can recreate the same thing.

It should be fun.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So which one is more important-hot amp and average speaker or hot speaker and average amp? I am trying to understand your point here. No one (I think) is going to argue how important the amp/speaker interface is. They absoultely have to be a good match for each other. And Reginald, are you from the U.S.?

Mark

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Gregadd,

agree that speaker-amp synergy is the 'beating heart' of any system and ultimately dominates setting the character of the system and is typically the result of the particular 'sonic vision' of that listener. my choice of darTZeel--Evolution MM3's is the result of my perspective on musical truth for me.

i do think that the third 'leg' of this equation is 'the room' and that any listener's choice of 'speaker-amp' must also have the particular room in mind to complete the picture. i say this because i don't think my tastes in musical truth have changed since my previous smaller room and Kharma--Tenor OTL but my larger room required a whole different type of speaker with far greater abilities in the lower octaves.

so my perspective on a system would add 'the room' to 'Amplifier and speaker as a system'. and these three parts would complete the picture.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So which one is more important-hot amp and average speaker or hot speaker and average amp? I am trying to understand your point here. No one (I think) is going to argue how important the amp/speaker interface is. They absoultely have to be a good match for each other. And Reginald, are you from the U.S.?

Mark
The easy answer is yes I live in the US.

Which is more imporant hot amp or hot speaker.? I'll address that issue as the thread progresses. I think it works best if they are both hot. The amp does the heavy lifting. It depends on whether the speaker is finicky, high maintenace, or low maintnece. That determines whther you could escape with a low watt DHT SE triode or whether you need a beast like Alberts' VTL.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Reginald-Have you been drinking tonight or did your kids rearrange the keys on your keyboard?

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I guess I would like to think with the exception of certain speakers, that a really good amplifier should work with a wide variety of speakers. Otherwise, I'm thinking that all one is doing is matching colorations and not trying to find components with the least coloration.

Now obviously power and room size can come into play with some speakers; needless to say, some feel that too much power is just enough-esp. given that there are several high power, high quality amps around (as opposed to yesteryear where the general consensus was that low powered tube amps sounded better than their large wattage brethren).

Now Steve is also blessed with a speaker that is comfortable with low wattage amplifiers (one reason I had the W/P 5.1s around years ago so as to be able to review low power amps) such as the LAMMs. His LAMMs wouldn't work with the Summits :(

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike- to the extent possible you try to limit the variables as best you can. I have envied your room and equipment for a long time. I am still not sure why you felt compelled to dump the VR-9. Oh well, the saying is ,'Better is the enemy of good." I am sure you noted the Von Schweikert System being set up in the Philippines. Quite impressive, no?

I'll post some pictures of my room one day . A smallish apartment living room with drywall and 8' ceilings. More likely to be overloaded. 19'(l)x14'(w)x 8(h). Plenty big for the CLS and a jazz ensemble fits in nicely.
Your point is well taken.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mike- to the extent possible you try to limit the variables as best you can. I have envied your room and equipment for a long time. I am still not sure why you felt compelled to dump the VR-9. Oh well, the saying is ,'Better is the enemy of good." I am sure you noted the Von Schweikert System being set up in the Philippines. Quite impressive, no?

I'll post some pictures of my room one day . A smallish apartment living room with drywall and 8' ceilings. More likely to be overloaded. 19'(l)x14'(w)x 8(h). Plenty big for the CLS and a jazz ensemble fits in nicely.

If you heard the Evo3s, you'd know why :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I find myself in complete (rare) agreement with Myles. I do see the Room-speaker interface as the most important factor. Great/best/Ultimate amplifier plus Ultimate Speaker in a so-so room results in a so-so performance. O

Frantz

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I guess I would like to think with the exception of certain speakers, that a really good amplifier should work with a wide variety of speakers. Otherwise, I'm thinking that all one is doing is matching colorations and not trying to find components with the least coloration.

I'm not thinking so much about "working." I'm talking about squeezing every ounce out of that product. Depending on what level you are at you may be forced to mix and max colorations. You may have a component that excels at the things you love, but has a fault you can cure with the right match.

Now obviously power and room size can come into play with some speakers; needless to say, some feel that too much power is just enough-esp. given that there are several high power, high quality amps around (as opposed to yesteryear where the general consensus was that low powered tube amps sounded better than their large wattage brethren).

I want to go beyond theory and put the car on the race track. You'll be interested to note I was a die hard CJ/ML fan for a long time. First el34 (MV50) then (Premier 11a ) 6550. I suspect you will review your CJ amps for POS and will notify us. I suspect some synergy there.

Now Steve is also blessed with a speaker that is comfortable with low wattage amplifiers (one reason I had the W/P 5.1s around years ago so as to be able to review low power amps) such as the LAMMs. His LAMMs wouldn't work with the Summits :(

Not sure what your point is. Those of us who have tried low powered tube amps and high powered ss amps in the same system have often been left very confused.:confused:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not sure what your point is. Those of us who have tried low powered tube amps and high powered ss amps in the same system have often been left very confused.:confused:

No I was comparing the sound of low with high power tube amps. And there was an issue years ago with output transformer tradeoffs between the two. But yes, low powered ss also used to sound better than large powered, to wit the old Bedini amps. But am not sure what you're referring to when comparing low powered tubes amps with ss amps. I suspect one thing is that the tube amps sound bigger than one might expect based on their power rating?

Have to say that have tried cj amps with many speakers and haven't heard them sound bad yet (Vienna Acoustics, Alons, Maggies, Wilsons, MLs). But if one wants to talk synergy, the cj amps on Maggies were extra special. I always attributed the special magic to the amps liking seeing a even 4 ohm load (even if the speakers were only 87db efficient) across the music spectrum. Funny though that the old Berning EA2100 sounded awful on MGIIIs-one of the few amps that didn't cut it on those planars. No low end whatsoever :(

Then I have to say some of the synergy you're asking about can be traceable to whether you're talking about planars, estats or box speakers. To my ears, the dipoles just have more resolution and show off that particular weakness in the front end source as well as the amps (I hear that so blatantly now between cartridges with the new cj amp). Back when I had the Wilson 5.1s, their lack of resolution compared to the Martin Logans or my modded MGIIIas used to make me crazy since I loved the imaging and dynamics of the Wilsons :( Have to say that if were to choose a box speaker nowadays would look at the new Vienna Acoustics, Sonus Fabers, Wilsons, Evolutions, Vandersteen, VS, Verity, etc.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Gregadd,

it's a bit complicated to explain how and why i switched from the VR9SE's to the MM3's....but here goes,

first; i never intended to change from Von Schweikerts and really did enjoy the VR9SE's.....a great speaker. while i did like the VR9's i had missed the transparent mid-range from the Accuton ceramic mid-range in the Kharma Exquisite's......to the degree of asking my dealer about changing the mid-range driver on the VR9's. the mid-range of the VR9 was good but a bit dark and less clear. to no surprise it was not possible to switch drivers.

in 2006 i was happily enjoying my VR9's when a friend from Hong Kong e-mailed to ask for help in locating a set of VR9's for a friend of his. the wait at that time was over 6 months for delivery. my dream speaker at that time was the VR11SE's, and when i was asked this it went thru my mind that maybe i could work out a way to end up with the VR11's. i checked with my dealer and after some discussion we agreed on me purchasing my dealer's VR11 demo pair if i could sell my VR9's. i e-mail my H.K. friend back and offered my own speakers. my friend had visited me the previous year so had seen and heard my speakers; we agreed on a price. i then called my dealer back to proceed and discovered that Von Schweikert had actually sold my dealer's demo VR11's without telling him (or paying him either). note; this situation eventually became part of a lawsuit that was recently settled.

at this point Von Schweikert agreed to build me a new set of VR11SE's at an agreed upon price. this was in July of 06' and delivery was to be in 8 to 12 weeks. they even sent me a set of loaner VR7SE's (which i used until Dec 06' and then sat in my garage until 2009 when they were returned to Von Schweikert---that was the first time they requested that they be returned). anyway....i was excited to have the VR11SE's on the way.

that same August i was at Torry Pines in San Deigo at a business meeting; and visited Kevin Malmgren to listen to the new speaker he was working on, the Evolution. the Evolution was a speaker initially developed over some years by my friend Jonathan Tinn. i had heard various versions of the project when i visited Jonathan in Portland. Jonathan had told me that Kevin was getting close to a final version and when i was down near him i should visit him and hear it. i did and was quite taken with it. it used the Accuton mid-range and immediatly heard that magic. i was a bit conflicted as i had already ordered the VR11's and also wanted those. as the price of the Evolutions was much less i decided to order them too, and then sell them if i preferred the VR11's.

around the end of September i asked my dealer about how the VR11's were coming and was told they were proceeding. again 2 weeks later i asked again.....and so on and so on.

it turned out that Von Schweikert never even started my speakers.

i took delivery of my Evolutions in December of that year.

then the following June i was on a phone call with Von Schweikert and my dealer and was asked if i still wanted the VR11's. at this point i said no; it was time to go on.

i don't exactly know what happenned behind the scenes here. i did not sell the VR9's because i did not like them. in fact; i liked them so much i wanted to move up.

my current perspective is that the Accuton ceramic mid-range combined with the ribbon tweeter in the MM3 is a magical combination. i love the Baltic Birch layered construction and the adjustability of the MM3. i do think it's closer to my ideal of how a speaker should sound. but the VR9SE is still a great speaker.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
As Frantz pointed out, the speaker/room interface is also critical. However, we are back to the "weakest link in the chain" scenario. Let's say your speaker/room interface is great but you mated the speaker with a poorly matching amplifier. Guess what? You still have a major problem. Everything needs to be taken into consideration in order to extract the maximum amount of information and deliver great sound to your ears. It's all critical in the end. You won't have great sound without a great room that matches well with your speakers, but you won't have great sound if your source components suck and vice versa.

Mark

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Yeah, but getting a competent amplifier is trivial compared to the speaker room interaction.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I left out the speaker cables.

Yeah, but getting a competent amplifier is trivial compared to the speaker room interaction. Finding a musical amp is tough. Getiign a speaker that will play the music you like in your room is tough. When you buy the amp your work is over when you bring it home. With a speaker your work has just begun.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, but getting a competent amplifier is trivial compared to the speaker room interaction.

I agree with your statement. However, I didn't know we were trying to determine which is the hardest part to accomplish. None of the things involved with obtaining great sound are cheap or easy.

Mark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing