new Lp; Reference Recordings--Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes you bring up a good point that I didn't consider :( I assumed they did it from the tape and that probably was true with the recording where analog and digital was done in parallel. But you're right: I don't think there's an analog tape of the Rachmaninoff and that's probably right from the digital master. Guess Paul would know :)

And yes I was thinking about them using the one inch copy but Keith probably felt the digital version was better.

Myles,

so you went and asked them (RR-Marcia) about the source of the Rachmaninoff, and they basically talked about how they did not want to use the original masters for cutting the lacquers so a 176/24 'copy' was used.....not specifically saying that the Rachmaninoff Lp was sourced from a tape. now you think it was only a digital recording to begin with.......or.....maybe......that they had both digital and tape but Keith preferred the digital.

hummmmmm. :confused:

where is Oliver Stone when you need him?:)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

so you went and asked them (RR-Marcia) about the source of the Rachmaninoff, and they basically talked about how they did not want to use the original masters for cutting the lacquers so a 176/24 'copy' was used.....not specifically saying that the Rachmaninoff Lp was sourced from a tape. now you think it was only a digital recording to begin with.......or.....maybe......that they had both digital and tape but Keith preferred the digital.

hummmmmm. :confused:

No you jogged my brain about the Rachmaninoff. After all, it's the last day of CES and my brain is fried :( But check the date of the recording on the LP. I think it's after RR discontinued recording in parallel.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
No you jogged my brain about the Rachmaninoff. After all, it's the last day of CES and my brain is fried :( But check the date of the recording on the LP. I think it's after RR discontinued recording in parallel.

i looked at the CD two nights ago; the Rachmaninoff was recorded in the spring of 2001. i don't know when they stopped the parallel tape recording.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm looking forward to hearing the 3 releases on LP. If Mike is happy with the Symphonic Dances, I'm sure it will sound good. I will post my opinons after I hear it and the other two.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i looked at the CD two nights ago; the Rachmaninoff was recorded in the spring of 2001. i don't know when they stopped the parallel tape recording.

According to Paul over on the tape project site, RR stopped recording in parallel when they discontinued releasing records. That was ten or more years ago I think.

This also might help:http://www.musicangle.com/album.php?id=1032

mep

Apr 20, 2010
This is no state secret. I think a simple email to RR will clear this up once and for all.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Mike and WBF are now famous!

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
You mean tape or the original LP??? The Tape Project tape has been used in recent shows to allegedly thrilling effects

Ack, sorry for the late reply as I did not read this thread for a long time, it was the the LP that i picked up.

And in reply to Mike and Myles if the LP or a single dsd (not PCM) copy via a Grim from the master would sound more 'true or exact' to the original, I have heard from industry pro's who have cut vinyl for their living, feel that the digital rendition would be closest.

This does not imply which one is the most preferable one from a listening perspective. I enjoy analog more for the performance it delivers. It is just the amount of equalisation that has to be placed on the lacquer especially when you are cutting a grove as you come towards the centre or end of the record that starts to let the medium down.

I believe Bob Ludwig summed it up best, that if you want something closest to the master than the LP is not it. I think he was smart bu not saying that digital was it either! :) Something to that effect.

BTW I am an all out analog medium enthusiast. But I just share my conversations and experiences from meeting and talking with industry folks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing