CES News Flash

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Now that I have everyone's attention yesterday I felt the Q7 was scary good. However best sound I heard at the show after hearing most everything hands down was the Sonus Faber Aida with Audio Research front and back end. Second best was a Canadian speaker called Hansen. More tomorrow after we go to T.H.E Show.

Steve Williams

OK here's another news flash. Another Canadian speaker company called Sona Wall by Persson. MSRP is $960 but show special of $349. I could not believe the sound coming out of speakers the size of a computer mouse. It's a full range driver and comes with a separate subwoofer. I am embarrassed to say that the sound was amongst the very best. They wouldn't even let anyone take pictures but here's the website. For a small system in an office etc this needs to be considered
www.sonawall.com

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Now that I have everyone's attention yesterday I felt the Q7 was scary good. However best sound I heard at the show after hearing most everything hands down was the Sonys Fabrr Aida with Audio Research front and back end. Second best was a Canadian speaker called Hansen. More tomorrow after we go to T.H.E Show.

Steve, love it...Sonys Fabrr Aida:D Sony just acquired another Co.;)

Steve Williams

Shunyata was another room worth seeing. Caelin was demoing a live guitar solo played initially with a competitors cable and then with his new entry level cable using the new Z-Tron technology after which he played the sound of both through an oscilloscope and it was very convincing. This plus the fact that Caelin claims this cable is better than his TOL cable costing 6X as much but without Z-Tron

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The MBL room was also worth a listen and as always has their complete line on display. They were however playing their TOL speaker which I have never heard. Breathtaking (although Myles doesn't agree)

Nope ;)

But agree on the Hansen's. Best sound and probably the best "room" they've had at a show. Also had to like that Clear Audio table and Statement cartridge. Shocking resolutionNAND transparency on the Decca Bartok Bluebeard's Castle that brought to show. Super job of capturing the echo of voices off the side walls.

Scaenas also disappointed me . Bad room.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
BTW I was a little disappointed in Vladimir's room with MAXX lll,LL1/ML3 combo (which I own). There was just something wrong with the room (which BTW had retail value of all components of $600K

Think we talked about it maybe being that limiter imposed by the Venetian. Sounds the same as last year. Just dry, dynamically lacking and washed out. Hell you wouldn't put it in your system at home :(

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Guess it's different for different taste but I thought most of the good speakers/rooms did sound similar. The Q7 had too much bass to my taste and did like their smaller Q5s better in other rooms. I did like the MBL room and the Avantgard room for their unique sound from the common dynamic driver based rooms.

Jonathan T's small Evolution Acoustics produced pure and surprisingly good sounds - its sound that didn't match the speakers' size (and $$$$) for certain...

When you return to the Venetian, please stop by at 34th floor room 204 where April Music is demoing their new amps and DAC/Pre using the Wilson Sashas. I would like to get your unbaise opinon on the sound your would hear.

Steve Williams

One room I forgot to mention and remains in my top 5 is Dan D'Agostino's room. His amp not only produced great sound through his Sashas but is also exquisite eye candy. Dan also had a static display of his soon to be released preamp with a gorgeous analog dial

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Now that I have everyone's attention yesterday I felt the Q7 was scary good. However best sound I heard at the show after hearing most everything hands down was the Sonus Faber Aida with Audio Research front and back end. Second best was a Canadian speaker called Hansen. More tomorrow after we go to T.H.E Show.

Steve,
As one the best demos I have ever been at was the The Sonus Faber with ARC electronics, the Aida makes me nervous ... I expect to read your opinion with more detail after your are back.
Enjoy the show and thanks for keeping us informed. Did you learn if the ARC REF DAC will support DSD 128 fx?

Steve Williams

I can say without hesitation that based on everything I have "heard" at the show ( didn't hear XLF) and if I were going to buy a speaker the Sonus Faber Aida would top the list with strong thoughts of the Hansen

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hi Steve,
In my opinion those amps are the best thing ARC has ever produced. I can't wait to hear the REF 750's. I have not heard the Aida yet and it seems the ultra high end of speakers has no ending. I have listened to the new Nola Baby Grand's with these amps and was blown away. I know there are a lot of new super speakers at the show including a new Scaena, New Wilson, New Magico etc. etc. Have you heard all of them?
E

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing