CES News Flash

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What's in a name? One note about the name "Aida", it is the name of an Ethiopian slave in Giuseppe Verdi's opera of the same name. ;)

Actually Aida is an Ethiopian Princess enslaved by the Egyptians.

Yes, and she was in love with the Egyptian warrior, Radames, who was also loved by the daughter of the Egyptian king, Amneris. A classic tragedy, of love between members of the aristocracy of two nations at war with eachother.

Is there a Classical Musical Opera Play about this lovely tragedy?

If not there should be one. :b

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out this Blu-ray version from the December 7, 2006 season opening night at La Scala:
http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Aida-Blu-ray-Violeta-Urmana/dp/B001CZVVWS/
We saw this (as a recording) in a movie theater in 2007. I own the BD. It's a new spectacular production by Franco Zeffirelli. (I thought Roberto Alagna was fine as Radames, but at the next performance he was booed and then he walked off the stage.) BTW, Emerging Pictures has been transmitting La Scala's December 7 openings live to movie theaters -- in 2011 Don Giovanni, 2010 Die Walkure...

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Scala

....I thought Roberto Alagna was fine as Radames, but at the next performance he was booed and then he walked off the stage..

I friend of mine is 1st Solocello of the Scala di Milano - indeed, what you might perceive as mean, booeing - the reaction of the Milanese public is indeed proof of living opera, Alfredo (my friend) is absolutely dedicated to his task. Opera to the people!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Operas are indeed the most powerful human form of Art on Earth & Heaven from singing musically with extreme passion, devotion and emotion from the vocal human voice.
It is grandiose to listen to the best male/female sopranos and tenors and 'baritones' of the world performing on the world stage.

If you love Operas it means you truly appreciate human Art at its most compelling and emotive purity.
Operas are the Absolute.

Add an Organ with that and the full choir for the ultimate sacrilegious spirit of the most powerful and beautiful sounds on our planet.
Music at its very best, at the highest level of emotional intensity.

Live! ...Then at home with a loudspeaker system that can honestly transmit that amazing energy with full cadence.

Magico Q5?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Opera with a Q!

Artistically and chorally sound! Operas! ...With the magic human Q. :b

* Any of that stuff at that last CES in Vegas? ...Live or reproduced? ...Then time to get serious ...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing