What went wrong? - Awful Avalon coverage

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Given show conditions, I don't expect much out of any speaker!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frankly, I don’t know if this is a hatchet job or if it’s deserved. I will let Avalon owners chime in.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
CES 2011??? Anyhow, I've heard other unacceptable Avalons in the same price range, in the past; the Opus comes to mind. I wish I had tomatoes and eggs with me.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

You did an awfully good job with those Ushers at RAMF!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Fernando, give them a break. From the pictures, it looks like they demo'ed in one of the conference rooms on the show floor. Those rooms are notorious for bad sound. They are perfectly square!! There's only so much they can do to set up the speakers. If I turned up to a show and had a perfectly square room, I might have turned around and headed to the nearest bar...... and I don't drink.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Somebody pour Neil a stiff one. In another post I mentioned a terribly bad experience with German Physik, Continuum and Vitus, yes, in one of the conference rooms as well. Fourth floor? I can't quite remember. Terribly thin and disjointed sound like the ceilings which seemed higher than the rooms were wide or long were sucking up all the midbass and bass. Manufacturers would do well to steer clear of these rooms.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Then you should have heard the Magico Q7s today. Some speaker...at 165K :)

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I can appreciate when a reviewer provides an honest assessment of a product. Reading how Stereophile deems every system as "best" becomes tiring. If people don't find a loudspeaker to be to their taste, then so be it. I have no personal need for other people to like Avalons.

However, this review has a number of statements which undermines it's integrity and suggests some type of agenda. This reviewer comments about poor build quality, how the speaker looks too similar to other Avalon models, and that he feels the tweeter is not placed in the proper position. He even admits that other Avalons he has heard only sound "decent enough". To say that Avalon has poor build quality is laughable, but I'm sure the company is not laughing.

FWIW, someone's ears I trust said the Transcendent was one of the best speakers at RMAF 2010, and the room sounded better than the Kaiser room. Other reviews speak nothing about the "dismal" performance, if anything is to be trusted from any review. Interestingly, Alan Sircom, in his review, mentioned that the CES 2011 room was so packed with acoustic treatment, that the sound seemed to actually suffer.

I believe the reviewer is entitled to their opinion, but as we all know, it should be tempered with the caveat of show conditions and he should hold-back the personal attacks. In the end, this review contributes nothing of value and underscores the potential influence these people can exert on a company trying to create new products to fill varying niches. I also see this reviewer totally roasted the Venture speaker based upon show conditions as well.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I can appreciate when a reviewer provides an honest assessment of a product. Reading how Stereophile deems every system as "best" becomes tiring. If people don't find a loudspeaker to be to their taste, then so be it. I have no personal need for other people to like Avalons.

However, this review has a number of statements which undermines it's integrity and suggests some type of agenda. This reviewer comments about poor build quality, how the speaker looks too similar to other Avalon models, and that he feels the tweeter is not placed in the proper position. He even admits that other Avalons he has heard only sound "decent enough". To say that Avalon has poor build quality is laughable, but I'm sure the company is not laughing.

FWIW, someone's ears I trust said the Transcendent was one of the best speakers at RMAF 2010, and the room sounded better than the Kaiser room. Other reviews speak nothing about the "dismal" performance, if anything is to be trusted from any review. Interestingly, Alan Sircom, in his review, mentioned that the CES 2011 room was so packed with acoustic treatment, that the sound seemed to actually suffer.

I believe the reviewer is entitled to their opinion, but as we all know, it should be tempered with the caveat of show conditions and he should hold-back the personal attacks. In the end, this review contributes nothing of value and underscores the potential influence these people can exert on a company trying to create new products to fill varying niches. I also see this reviewer totally roasted the Venture speaker based upon show conditions as well.

That looks like it Robert....

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I do like avalon in general but ive never heard the transcendant which is indeed pretty steep priced i think , at least overhere .
I am also involved in the audio business as i built speakers myself .
I do like the stereophile reviews and there combination with measurements , if you read between the lines you get an idea.
I think the woodwork of avalon is or is up there with the best in the business .
Apart from some very professional high end companies ,, i think the audio industry and and a lot of consumers /reviewers are one of the most unprofessional and subjective of industries out there .
It doesnt come much further then : i think this and i like that so it must be good or not , very unscientific industry.

greetings from holland

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
i think this and i like that so it must be good or not , very unscientific industry.

One thing I will point out, as this article is a SoundStage! Network article, is that contrary to what the poster said, we are the only publication in North America that actually measures speakers in an anechoic chamber (at NRC in Canada). We once had an Avalon speaker scheduled for review. The hang-up was that we were going to measure it at NRC. They decided not to send the speaker at that point and never pursued another review again. That was about six or seven years ago.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
One thing I will point out, as this article is a SoundStage! Network article, is that contrary to what the poster said, we are the only publication in North America that actually measures speakers in an anechoic chamber (at NRC in Canada). We once had an Avalon speaker scheduled for review. The hang-up was that we were going to measure it at NRC. They decided not to send the speaker at that point and never pursued another review again. That was about six or seven years ago.

With respect... this sounds like retribution.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Isn't it true that Avalons are tuned by ear exclusively?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No way you can make that comment and not be disrespectful. Silly and disrespectful.

Excuse me Randall but what then was the purpose of Jeff's comment? You really think it's necessary to air this in public?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No way you can make that comment and not be disrespectful. Silly and disrespectful.

I can make the comment and I did, but I said with respect because the review seems quite out of character and Jeff's response in his post here highlighted the fact (IMO) that there's some axe-grinding going on. If there isn't, then I would hope Jeff or Doug (preferably) would set me straight.

Excuse me Randall but what then was the purpose of Jeff's comment? You really think it's necessary to air this in public?

My thinking exactly.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I believe Jeff's response was to the quoted sentence that says that Soundstage's reviews are simply based on the reviewers opinions. He stated that we are the only ones that perform anechoic measurements in an actual anechoic chamber. Not sure why he included the other statement, he can speak to that, but drawing the conclusion that Doug ripped the speaker because Avalon withdrew their speaker because of the NRC measurement is direspectful to Doug and to Soundstage.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I believe Jeff's response was to the quoted sentence that says that Soundstage's reviews are simply based on the reviewers opinions. He stated that we are the only ones that perform anechoic measurements in an actual anechoic chamber. Not sure why he included the other statement, he can speak to that, but drawing the conclusion that Doug ripped the speaker because Avalon withdrew their speaker because of the NRC measurement is direspectful to Doug and to Soundstage.

If Doug was a free-lance reviewer I'd have less of an issue, but he isn't. He's the publisher and founder of Soundstage, and as such this was a major faux-pas IMO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing