2012 ces

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Only here a couple of hours and have some very exciting news for tape heads. Stay tuned for more info!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Free masters? :)

Enjoy Myles! Eagerly awaiting some news from those attending!

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I'm hoping the news is that the guy who is buying ALL the 1/2 track masters on eBay has run out of money or Microsoft stock.
One thing for sure, if I had that kind of money I would be doing the same.
Leslie

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK, so here goes. Wanted to get the whole story before posting. Met this AM with Jan-Eric Persson, owner of Opus 3 records. We had met checking into the hotel where he told me Opus 3 was going to begin releasing some of their titles on reel to reel tape. The first three releases will be the most recent Eric Bibb recordings, among the companies best selling titles. These will, as opposed to the Tape Project releases, be directly copied from the master tape, instead of using a running master to dupe the recording. So the Opus 3 tapes will be one gen closer and as we know, generation is everything when it comes to tape! Bad news? They won't be cheap and will retail most likely thru Elusive Disc, at around $500/tape (similar tomThe Tape Project prices and no, there isn't a subscriber option, though that could happen down the road.

One other thing that found out about the Opus 3. Contrary to popular belief, Persson used a Telefunken M28 for his recordings, a machine that he (and many others hold in high esteem). Also just for the record, Persson basically used an AKG C24 (with the original brass capsule) in A Blumlein pattern for his recordings with the occassional use of an AKG 414 mike for touch up. Was fascinating meeting him and he is really passionate about music and recording!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Another Source

OK, so here goes. Wanted to get the whole story before posting. Met this AM with Jan-Eric Persson, owner of Opus 3 records. We had met checking into the hotel where he told me Opus 3 was going to begin releasing some of their titles on reel to reel tape. The first three releases will be the most recent Eric Bibb recordings, among the companies best selling titles. These will, as opposed to the Tape Project releases, be directly copied from the master tape, instead of using a running master to dupe the recording. So the Opus 3 tapes will be one gen closer and as we know, generation is everything when it comes to tape! Bad news? They won't be cheap and will retail most likely thru Elusive Disc, at around $500/tape (similar tomThe Tape Project prices and no, there isn't a subscriber option, though that could happen down the road.

One other thing that found out about the Opus 3. Contrary to popular belief, Persson used a Telefunken M28 for his recordings, a machine that he (and many others hold in high esteem). Also just for the record, Persson basically used an AKG C24 (with the original brass capsule) in A Blumlein pattern for his recordings with the occassional use of an AKG 414 mike for touch up. Was fascinating meeting him and he is really passionate about music and recording!

for tapes is GREAT!

Now, are we talking half-inch, half-track for 500 USD :confused:
I'm fond of the Opus 3 efforts on vinyl, particularly Cyndee Peters :D:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
for tapes is GREAT!

Now, are we talking half-inch, half-track for 500 USD :confused:
I'm fond of the Opus 3 efforts on vinyl, particularly Cyndee Peters :D:

1/4 inch Sam.

And yes, I like Cyndee Peters too, esp. Black is the Color.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Great news, specially if the tapes are recorded in Sweden. Every time I receive a tape-reel from the USA, I have to explain it is not computer data to the customs. :) As the Opus 3 site shows a Studer A80 in the vinyl page, can we anticipate they will use a A80 for dubbing the tapes?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great news, specially if the tapes are recorded in Sweden. Every time I receive a tape-reel from the USA, I have to explain it is not computer data to the customs. :) As the Opus 3 site shows a Studer A80 in the vinyl page, can we anticipate they will use a A80 for dubbing the tapes?

Both good questions. I'm not sure what machine they'll be using for dubbing. And being in Europe, not sure who will distribute or whether you can buy direct from Opus 3. Maybe they'll have some way of ordering off their website?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Good news indeed Myles! Whatever makes our tape shopping basket options larger is great! Price is stiff thou :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing