Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 99

Thread: The Audio Expert - New Book by Ethan Winer

  1. #71
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundproof View Post
    Like mdabb, I'm new here, and appreciate the insights and knowledge readily available, though I'm also puzzled by the amount of negative feedback readily meted out. A curious attitude, unfortunately too often found in hifi.
    Spending time defending turf usually ends up with one standing still. There are a lot of things waiting to be discovered if one keeps an open attitude.

    Ethan's book should be welcomed, not denigrated, no matter the past history, which seems to have been quite incendiary.
    That said, I have exhausted my newbie latitude by a significant margin, most likely.
    Not speaking for the community. You are correct, however you're no longer a newbie here...nor have you exhausted anything. Your posts have always been leveled and educative.
    I for one will buy Ethan book. There is much to learn from him ... The negatives were to be expected.. Feathers are ruffled in his book and some interests may feel threatened ...So what?
    I am ordering one on Amazon as soon as I get to the USA (for some reasons they keep on rejecting my CC when I am in Haiti)

    @Ethan

    How can I get a an autographed copy .. You are an internationally recognized author ... I will PM you in a few mins ...
    Last edited by FrantzM; 04-18-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Frantz
    __________________________________

    "For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

  2. #72
    Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    16,455

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
    Sorry for being off topic here...

    I am simply an enthusiast.... I really appreciate the latest & greatest, and I also appreciate the not so latest & greatest. At times I am wrong or mis-informed, but at the end of the day I still enjoy the hobby & most of all the music. One of the first things that attracted me to this site was it's topics, members, professionals, etc... However, I've never felt truly at home on any forum because every website I've ever joined or visited was either a gang of objectivist or subjectivists, the haves & the have not's. The objectivists pray on the thin skin of the subjectivists. The subjectivists recount experiences that range from believable/possible to wild fantasies, and will turn their noses up and tell you that your system is not capable of resolving the finer things in life. Some websites pretend to welcome all, however that's not what I've experienced. I have friends who are from both camps. We all have heard of the term dysfunctional family, AV enthusiast forums are dysfunctional websites. We all enjoy the same hobby, and even though families are disfunctional... they are still a family. Funny, people on AV forums treat each other as if someone kicked their dog.

    In the evolution of AV forums, this website has the potential of being a really good one. Don't let that slip away !!! I'm not claiming to know what happens here every second of the day. Nor am I trying to tell anyone how to run their household. I'm just saying simply as an enthusiast, I wanna see a forum that welcomes and is capable of many ideas, thoughts, beliefs, arguments, people, etc... As long it can be done with respect and thought, there is room for all. If you can't handle someone with an opposing view point or can't handle the fact that someone disagrees with you..... you shouldn't publicly share your thoughts. Nor should someone/something be censored because of it. I can't speak for anyone else but me........ but I would like this expression to be true, "You've tried the rest, now try the BEST" !!!

    Enjoy the fact that people are different !!! As long as no one is being personally attacked I don't see any reason to censor, restrict, ban anyone for their beliefs/thoughts. Nor is there any reason to deodorize it simply because it's different/challenging.

    Disclaimer: No dogs were hurt while typing this post


    Enjoy!
    Hi,

    Once in a while a post like yours is a breeze of fresh air; thanx!
    We can tell it's from the heart, with intelligence and compassion.

    Our Audio hobby is a fantastic one; and there is simply no reason that we shouldn't enjoy it every single day of our life. It is a hobby, a passion that speaks to our sensitive strings of emotions,
    and procures fun in our daily life. To share it with others is to live free.

    Cheers,
    Bob
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

  3. #73
    Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    16,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundproof View Post
    Like mdabb, I'm new here, and appreciate the insights and knowledge readily available, though I'm also puzzled by the amount of negative feedback readily meted out. A curious attitude, unfortunately too often found in hifi.
    Spending time defending turf usually ends up with one standing still. There are a lot of things waiting to be discovered if one keeps an open attitude.

    Ethan's book should be welcomed, not denigrated, no matter the past history, which seems to have been quite incendiary.
    That said, I have exhausted my newbie latitude by a significant margin, most likely.
    Hi Soundproof,

    I've read all your posts here at WBF, and they are extremely intelligent and educative.
    You're one of my favorite members.
    Stay the course my friend.

    Best regards,
    Bob
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

  4. #74
    Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    16,455
    By the way folks, I'm buying Ethan's book.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

  5. #75
    I, for one, can't wait to read Chapter 16!
    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
    The Best in Video & Sound My Company FaceBook Page
    My Blogwww.ampexperts.com
    www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 Watts of Driving Surround Sound!

  6. #76
    [WBF Founding Member] audioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
    Posts
    2,465
    I just ordered the book. I'm confident (some of) the anti-science (or anti-engineer) crowd won't like it.
    Last edited by audioguy; 04-19-2012 at 12:42 PM.

  7. #77
    Member mdabb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Hi,

    Once in a while a post like yours is a breeze of fresh air; thanx!
    We can tell it's from the heart, with intelligence and compassion.

    Our Audio hobby is a fantastic one; and there is simply no reason that we shouldn't enjoy it every single day of our life. It is a hobby, a passion that speaks to our sensitive strings of emotions,
    and procures fun in our daily life. To share it with others is to live free.

    Cheers,
    Bob
    Thanks !!!

    I'll be brief since I don't want to step on anyone's toe's & keep derailing this thread.

    I personally visit forums for enjoyment, news, education/information. Not so much for negativity and stress. I understand and appreciate the need to be critical. I appreciate the variety of opinions, some more informed than others. There is a way to be passionate and get your point across respectfully. I'm 35 years old, I've been enjoying HiFi since I was 12-13 years old. When other kids were spending their money on baseball cards I was buying Mofi CD's. I understand the weird culture of the audiophile. There is a lot of great people who make this all possible for us to enjoy, and there are just as many (if not more) who are in it to make a quick buck. Over the years the prices of products & services have grown to unbelievable sums of money. Is it really the technology that's lacking, or is it the way it's manufactured? What products and services are truly quality products & services, state of the art & worth the price? I also don't want to feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman & don't want to worry about all the BS.

    Great sound quality, technology, products, services, etc... don't happen by accident. They are based on good science & engineering. What you personally like or think sounds good is more than fine !!! Enjoy it your way, because I'm sure as heck gonna enjoy it my way. However, trying to accurately reproduce the sound of an instrument, the human voice, rain, the crashing of an automobile, or the vocalization of an animal requires more than good taste. Maybe one day we'll all be able to enjoy this kind of technology.

  8. #78
    Addicted to Best! rbbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    3,391
    Quote Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
    I just ordered the book. I'm confident (some of) the anti-science crowd won't like it.
    Very unfair. Ethan is an engineer, not necessarily a scientist, and based on his posts here many of his positions are empirical, not scientific.

  9. #79
    Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    16,455
    Yeah, I agree; right from the bat you are confident that some won't like it. Negative confidence.
    No big deal, but just the opposite of 'positive encouragement'.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Milford, CT
    Posts
    1,232

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    I've just dipped into Ethan's book at page 27 & for the education of everybody (including me) it would be useful if Ethan would reproduce here the text around figure 1.21 & the graph itself. It could form the basis of an interesting discussion!
    The figure is attached, and the figure caption is below. The original figure is clear, but the attachment seems fuzzy and small. Hopefully it still gets the point across.

    --Ethan

    Name:  FFT Sound Card.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  20.4 KB

    Figure 1.21: An FFT analysis shows volume level versus frequency, and it is commonly used to assess both the noise and distortion added by audio equipment.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hi from Ethan Winer
    By Ethan Winer in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •